Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft CEO hints at return to phones with new form factor

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft CEO hints at return to phones with new form factor

"They will not look like phones that are there today," says Satya Nadella in an interview.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Re: Microsoft CEO hints at return to phones with new form factor

I have to disagree with this , windows mobile isn't dead <unfortinatly> every since update made for the insider group
    there is a mobile version.

Thanks

Someone needs to give Nadella a history lesson about 2-in-1s.

4. Received thanks from:

jimbouk (04-05-2017)

Thanks

It's true that MS has gotten there first on so many things, but then they get eclipsed and/or specs start bumping their heads against the ceiling. It's no good simply being first.

The one thing that could have saved Windows Mobile was their announcement some years ago of a mythical framework by which app developers could easily convert any Android or iOS app to the WM platform. It never materialised, and this was the last nail in the coffin for the operating system. It doesn't matter what else they do; unless they make this conversion system work, WM is dead (or at least in a permanent coma).

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft CEO - Satya Nadella
    What we've done with Surface is a good example. No one before us thought of 2-in-1s, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more 2-in-1s coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The earliest device that can be considered a 2-in-1 detachable is the Compaq TC1000 from 2002. It comes preinstalled with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and features a 1 GHz Transmeta Crusoe CPU, Nvidia GeForce 2 Go GPU, detachable keyboard, and stylus.[22]

Mainstream attention for 2-in-1 PCs was not achieved until mid 2011, when Asus launched Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101, the first of its Transformer series, mainly running the Android operating system.

Microsoft started its own line of 2-in-1s with the introduction of the Surface Pro series, the first of which was released in February 2013.[23] It had a 10.6-inch (27 cm) display, Intel Core i5 CPU, and detachable keyboard that doubled as a protective screen cover.
    Trying to do an Apple and 'invent the smartphone' several years late..

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    I have to disagree with this , windows mobile isn't dead <unfortinatly> every since update made for the insider group
    Yup, my Lumia 550 just rebooted to update to the latest version. Sadly, though, app support is starting to haemorrage (I've lost two apps I used regularly in the last few months) which means it'll heamorrage users too. Sad though - we've gone from having 4 viable mobile OSes to just two in the space of about 3 years.

And we still haven't got an affordable Android phone with a physical qwerty keyboard. Seriously, is it so much to ask....?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Yup, my Lumia 550 just rebooted to update to the latest version. Sadly, though, app support is starting to haemorrage (I've lost two apps I used regularly in the last few months) which means it'll heamorrage users too. Sad though - we've gone from having 4 viable mobile OSes to just two in the space of about 3 years.

And we still haven't got an affordable Android phone with a physical qwerty keyboard. Seriously, is it so much to ask....?
    People don't actually want physical keyboards as they bump up the price too much - to make a qwerty keyboard instead of a touchscreen actually doubles the price instantly. Galaxy S8+KB - yes that's £1600 sir or special offer £99 a month with 2 gig of data
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

The Moto Z has a moto mod case with slide out keyboard... The phone is about £300~£350 and the mod is about £50 (although not in production yet). Might be a possibility depending on what you view as affordable... (loving my Z currently)

Note: Z2 is due soon hence the low price currently
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

10. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (04-05-2017)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    People don't actually want physical keyboards as they bump up the price too much ...
    Yet my BB Q5 only cost £130. A Keyboard on my Lumia 550 doubling the cost? I'd've paid £150 for it.

The Blackberry KeyONE looks like a lovely phone, but it's £500. Thing is, I don't need an octa-core @ 2GHz. I don't need 3GB of RAM. I don't need a 1080p screen. I don't need a 12MP rear camera.

BUT I really want a physical qwerty keyboard. It's doable in a sub £200 phone. Blackberry did entry level qwerty smartphones for years, very successfully. Sure, the market for it isn't huge, but it's stable, it's pretty dedicated, and no company is playing in it right now.

EDIT for crosspost:

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    ... The phone is about £300~£350 and the mod is about £50 (although not in production yet). Might be a possibility depending on what you view as affordable...
    It's a nice idea, but if I was going to drop £350 - £400 I'd just pre-order a keyONE. I'm one of those people who will spend more if it gets them what they want, and if I was already considering up to £300 for a phone anyway I'd have no issue talking myself into up to £500 instead.

As I said, I paid £130 for my Q5, and £75 for my current Lumia 550. I'd happily spend up to £200 - maybe more - if it would get me the phone I want. Since it wouldn't, I wasn't going to spend any more than I absolutely had to.

The sad thing is that BB10 is a great OS, and Win Mo is pretty damn good. I've never had a mobile I enjoyed using as much as my Q5, and my Lumia is pretty intuitive for most things; both OSes are at least as good as Android. But without significant market penetration app developers started abandoning them, and two excellent OSes are going to end up left out in the cold just because people couldn't be bothered to support minority platforms. So I'm stuck with my only options (in my price range, at least) being identikit Android touchscreen slabs that are all pretty much identical. That just makes me sad...
    Last edited by scaryjim; 04-05-2017 at 12:44 PM.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

... no company is playing in it right now.
    Just hang on for now, because in a decade, MS, Apple or some other brand will be making the headlines;

[Insert brand here] CEO hints at return to phones with new form factor

"No one before us thought of qwerty phones, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more querty phones coming. And that's what we want to do. So when you say we'll make more phones, I'm sure we'll make more phones, but they will not look like phones that are there today."

13. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (04-05-2017)

Thanks

So then why are more and more apps developers ditching mobile even MS them self is making sure that there software is available on iOS and Android.
    So get over it windows mobile unfortunately is dead no two way about it.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    What we've done with Surface is a good example. No one before us thought of 2-in-1s, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more 2-in-1s coming.
    The earliest device that can be considered a 2-in-1 detachable is the Compaq TC1000 from 2002. It comes preinstalled with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and features a 1 GHz Transmeta Crusoe CPU, Nvidia GeForce 2 Go GPU, detachable keyboard, and stylus.[22]

Mainstream attention for 2-in-1 PCs was not achieved until mid 2011, when Asus launched Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101, the first of its Transformer series, mainly running the Android operating system.

Microsoft started its own line of 2-in-1s with the introduction of the Surface Pro series, the first of which was released in February 2013.[23] It had a 10.6-inch (27 cm) display, Intel Core i5 CPU, and detachable keyboard that doubled as a protective screen cover.
    The Compaq device mentioned was based on a Microsoft idea for which they created XP Tablet PC Edition - it was of course doomed to fail because of hardware limitations, but Microsoft really did lead the way on 2in1s and tablets. The first successful device is a different story of course...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post

while I was kind of thinking along the same lines you could argue that technically MS did make it because it was their software (and pretty sure they did prototype machines too) that allowed it to be done.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

It's windows 10 people , a pc OSD not a flipping windows phone or tablet ........... sooner MS realise this the better

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    The Compaq device mentioned was based on a Microsoft idea for which they created XP Tablet PC Edition - it was of course doomed to fail because of hardware limitations, but Microsoft really did lead the way on 2in1s and tablets. The first successful device is a different story of course...
    Isn't a definitive answer to who invented, created, or lead the way a bit like trying to work out which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Yes Microsoft created an XP Tablet PC Edition but tablets had been around for years before and a tablet with separate keyboard (Crusoe TM5600) was developed (afaik) before Microsoft worked with HP to release one, although maybe they worked with PaceBlade at the same time, either way to say "no one before us thought of 2-in-1s" seems a big claim to make to the Internet who love nothing more than proving people wrong.

Registered+
    Thanks

Really loved Lumia 950 XL and all that it offers, however Microsoft is just not doing a lot to develop all the potential from Nokia.
    Really doubt the MS Phone management capabilities now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information