Thread: AMD presentation on Vega, Navi, Zen+ on 16th May, says report

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD presentation on Vega, Navi, Zen+ on 16th May, says report

AMD CEO Lisa Su, and head of RTG Raja Koduri, will be among the presenters.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: AMD presentation on Vega, Navi, Zen+ on 16th May, says report

About <ADMIN EDIT- Language> time, been a loooooooooong time coming now, we need some real info on VEGA and a release as soon as possible.

Always takes time for AIBs to release their cards, like 4-8 weeks depending on model. If AMD is smart enough to let AIBs sell their custom cards from day one that is.

AMD got to realize 99% of all customers do not wan't their screamingly loud and ineffective cooling solutions if they have not out done them self's this time with something new.

What AMD is not getting is that if reviews get a bad cooling solution they can not test the card properly thus giving it a bad review, what else can they do.

In this business first impression is everything, it is a dangerous turn off for customers if they see a lower overall review rating because of a really bad cooler design.

Also all the fist customers buying the cards complains of noise and overheating, this would make dangerously negative feel all over internet for the brand VEGA.

Only way to get around risk of negative buzz is to let AIBs release their card from day one, if VEGA performs good then all press would be positive and orders would skyrocket.

Also nvidia have a fleet of custom cards available in the market now, so if VEGA out performs 1080 Ti nvidia WILL dump the price to try to destroy VEGAs chances of a successful start.

Sure everybody is routing for AMDs comeback BUT people have zero tolerance for any kind of f**k up at this point and if that happens it will kill VEGA in it's tracks.

This will be a real uphill battle for AMD if they have not done everything 100% right this time around with VEGA from the start, competition from nvidia will be fierce.
    Last edited by peterb; 08-05-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Language/swear filter

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Raven74's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Edition 10
      • CPU:
      • i7 6950X@4.4 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB (32GB)@3400 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Iron Wolf 10TB, 2xSeagate barracuda 2TB, 2xSamsung 240GB EVO, Samsung M.2 250GB 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xAsus GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 780T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2777PQU
      • Internet:
      • 100 Mbs

I'm more interested in Zen+ if it is a decent upgrade compared to Zen i would upgarde my R7 1700x with Zen+. As concerning Vega, not interested, from what i saw it is a gtx 1070 equivalent which does not compare to my 1080 SLI set-up.

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fynxer View Post
    About <ADMIN EDIT- Language>, been a loooooooooong time coming now, we need some real info on VEGA and a release as soon as possible.

Also nvidia have a fleet of custom cards available in the market now, so if VEGA out performs 1080 Ti nvidia WILL dump the price to try to destroy VEGAs chances of a successful start.

This will be a real uphill battle for AMD if they have not done everything 100% right this time around with VEGA from the start, competition from nvidia will be fierce.
    If you don't have a clue about the industry, don't mouth off and confirm your ignorance. There is limited price cutting that Intel/Nvidia can do given that their share prices are very sensitive to their operating margins. Their price gouging tactics over the years have backed themselves into a corner.

Think of the natural total cost savings that a Ryzen-Vega system will provide over a comparable Intel-Nvidia one for the consumer. AMD doesn't even need to try that hard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raven74 View Post
    I'm more interested in Zen+ if it is a decent upgrade compared to Zen i would upgarde my R7 1700x with Zen+. As concerning Vega, not interested, from what i saw it is a gtx 1070 equivalent which does not compare to my 1080 SLI set-up.
    That was literally one leaked benchmark, the other 5 show it competing with the 1080, and those were all very old so drivers will have improved it to probably compete with the 1080ti. The benchmark you are referencing showed the core clocked at 1200MHz and the ram clocked at 700MHz. We already know the core will be clocked at 1600MHz+ and the ram will (likely) be 500MHz. Those benchmarks were likely just someone experimenting with higher memory frequency.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Quote Originally Posted by tantaku View Post
    That was literally one leaked benchmark, the other 5 show it competing with the 1080, and those were all very old so drivers will have improved it to probably compete with the 1080ti. The benchmark you are referencing showed the core clocked at 1200MHz and the ram clocked at 700MHz. We already know the core will be clocked at 1600MHz+ and the ram will (likely) be 500MHz. Those benchmarks were likely just someone experimenting with higher memory frequency.
    Interesting. I would personally be amazed if AMD can beat a 1080TI with VEGA but still - intriguing
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • dfour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair 8 Hero wifi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Dark pro @3600
      • Storage:
      • sabrent and wd nvme + 3 TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Vega 64 Strix water cooled
      • PSU:
      • Fractal design Ion+ 760p
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 011D custom water cooled
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC agon 32" + Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Zen Fibre @72 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    Interesting. I would personally be amazed if AMD can beat a 1080TI with VEGA but still - intriguing
    It has to beat a TI otherwise its a dead duck unless they price it very aggressively.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by dfour View Post
    It has to beat a TI otherwise its a dead duck unless they price it very aggressively.
    There's an awfully huge gulf under the 1080ti cost that any new card can happily slot into

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    There's an awfully huge gulf under the 1080ti cost that any new card can happily slot into
    Exactly 97% of the performance for 75% of the cost is also a win.

How about more performance and a lower price, that would be something.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Announcing Zen plus already seems like a bit of bullet to their own foot. Lot people have systems they dont need to upgrade, but have been tempted by Zen. Knowing there is a Zen+ will discourage a lot of buyers, myself included.

I suppose for the bulk market like Dell and HP black boxes, they dont really care.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Announcing Zen plus already seems like a bit of bullet to their own foot. Lot people have systems they dont need to upgrade, but have been tempted by Zen. Knowing there is a Zen+ will discourage a lot of buyers, myself included.

I suppose for the bulk market like Dell and HP black boxes, they dont really care.
    Its been known since 2016?? The slide in the Hexus article is from 2016.

AMD even mentioned the lifespan of Zen:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31551...our-years.html

While Anderson’s responsible for bringing Ryzen to market—“you don’t have any idea how many hours I and my team have spent on this,” Anderson said—it’s Papermaster who has to think of the future. When asked how long Zen would last, compared to Intel’s two-year tick-tock cadence, Papermaster confirmed the four-year lifespan and tapped the table in front of him: “We’re not going tick-tock,” he said. “Zen is going to be tock, tock, tock.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Guess I mistook the focus of this as some kind of big announcement but reading again i suppose it's more likely to be more specific versions of those slides

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raven74 View Post
    Vega is not one card. The highest spec card has been shown to match the 1080ti.

Thanks

I will be shocked if the top vega card can be priced under $550 and make much margin that actually leads to INCOME. HBM2 will cause the same issues as HBM1 most likely which means shortages of supply (can't sell the crap out of what you can't put on a shelf) and high cost vs. GDDR5x (which has neither problem at this point and keeps speeding up). AMD needs a perfect launch though with none of that cooling solution crap from last gen nor the ZENGATE (LOL, had to do it) issues of boards, memory issues etc...should have waited for a month to get bios stuff sorted. I really hope drivers are DONE, and not half baked like motherboards at zen launch.

Hard to believe ZEN+ is 40% IPC over ZEN but if so I'm in for at least one to replace my 4790k (going to dad) and maybe an HTPC or TWO based on the APU from ZEN+. Not interested in current gen ZEN as I wanted more from gaming side in a GAMING box (my main pc that is). Currently it's EXACTLY what I wanted from handbrake side (really want to bite on this but can wait for zen+ if it's hitting by xmas/Q1 I guess), but I just can't take that gaming hit knowing they probably must have figured out how to fix the cache crap for ZEN+ gaming hits. I might be able to suffer the APU ZEN chip (I'm hoping they're zen+ but maybe not) since I'm using them in HTPC and gaming isn't needed past 1080p here for me anyway as I have zero interest in a 4k TV currently as I just bought two new samsung 1080p tv's (65in and 60in). I can take the hit for ONE HTPC that is, I'll wait out zen+ apu for the 2nd box if I have to. A faster clocked 4 or 6 core APU (should be faster clocked months after being on the process) would work great in my future HTPC's even with the gaming hit. If it's not faster clocked (which makes up some of the gaming hit), sorry single box and waiting for zen+ apu for 2nd htpc. These things will double as handbrake machines for me also so that smooths that hit to some extent. But my gaming box needs to be ZEN+ gaming fixed I refuse to take that big of a hit in many games when the box is FOR gaming (with a large side of handbrake...LOL).

I'm Not expecting much from Vega as I think HBM2 screws AMD's margins and pricing ability. I think is useless currently (nothing gained vs. fast GDDR5x as we are not bandwidth limited by it yet), and just adds huge costs and possibly shortages if they have the same manufacturing issues as HBM1. Not to mention with revenue and income up massively at NV and seemingly growing great in many aspects for at least the next few quarters, I think NV has plenty of room to drop 1080/1080ti to pound vega's margins at the top if it's really good (WITHOUT ticking off shareholders), meaning at least matching 1080ti perf at the top and being within 5-10% watts. If the top end can't match 1080ti it's going to have a rough go and they'll have to price accordingly and get killed by HBM2 costs. They have to be able to make INCOME on these things or there is no point in making them. A whole quarter of selling ZEN to stock shelves did nothing for income so far. HEDT chips should have much higher margins and maybe will make this chip profitable. I think inventory rising 18% was due to zen launch being half baked (again should have waited for boards to be rock solid, gaming hit wouldn't have been so big of an issue then) and many like myself saying we'll wait out rev2.0. Unfortunately many won't come back to read more reviews of boards that show better stability etc, so you end up with a gaming hit and many just thinking it's not up to snuff with board/mem issues too. I think inventory would not have exploded if they got that BOARD part right. If you have people sending bios updates DURING the review process in many cases or worse stating fixes are coming, you should have waited a month. You only get ONE first impression with most of the public.

BTW $550 vs. $700 is the difference between 30% margins and 50-60% margins. These 30% margins barely pay bills/interest (well they don't in AMD's case), but 50-60% margins MAKE MONEY. Just ask Intel/NV. I really hope the card is good enough to charge $700 for AMD's PROFIT sake. I'm also thinking this chip will be LARGER than 1080ti since NV aims the card directly at gaming with not much wasted space on anything but that (fp64 crap is wasted on the gaming crowd). Again, all things that hurt margins. If anything these two companies should be doing the exact opposite (but NV isn't that dumb). NV has the money to waste on extra die space on crap most of us don't use (and usually blowing up heat/watts), and extra margin and actually make good money to except this hit. AMD should be doing exactly what NV is doing by saving ANY wasted space that isn't directly aimed at gaming so they can improve MARGINS. It's seems AMD management has no idea how to manage a business. They seem to keep doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing. IE, R&D only on CORE products rather than console crap (vega/zen should have both been out a year ago, zen probably 3yrs ago). Die space aimed DIRECTLY at gamers (your target audience). Memory that is abundant should be used instead of expensive and useless for now HBM2 (buzzwords don't win benchmarks). A major product launch (zen) that sets the tone for your cpus for years but is missing decent board support at launch to get good reviews. I could go on and on but you should get the point. FOCUS AMD, please for the love of god FOCUS.

Thread Information