Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD Ryzen 5 the most warmly welcomed CPUs in seven years

Thanks

Re: AMD Ryzen 5 the most warmly welcomed CPUs in seven years

AMD is a big player out there regardless of whichever... not a fanboy of either intel nvidia or amd though, usually going with best choice for me whenever I have to get some hardware... but thought about building an additional machine with vega + ryzen.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    It might be a tad hard to put that in your laptop though?
    The crazy thing about ryzen is that it's totally feasible. Scaling off the 65W TDP of a 1700, a die with 2 cores fused off should just squeeze into the 45W TDP that the 4 core intel chips in all the top end gaming laptops use (maybe with the clocks turned down a little). So with a single mask they're matching or beating intel in every benchmark, from 8-core prosumer down to laptops

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Well you can get 8 cores(4c/8t) with the Ryzen 5 1400 for roughly £150 and get 12 cores(6c/12t) with the Ryzen 5 1600 for £199.. AMD are on to a winner with the R5 range. Warmly welcomed they should be

Thanks

Nice to see!

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

I'm *positive* about Ryzen as such. SMT issues or not.

I'm *negative* about AMD (baffingly) playing into Microsoft's hand by only supporting it on Windows 10. I can't see any true upside for AMD there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    The server market doesn't care about halo products. It's all about perf/watt. The server market should be WAY more lucrative for AMD right now than the consumer market, so they're absolutely spot on to target perf/watt at lower clocks if they can only do one silicon run.

So why server first? Intel's current range topping server CPU offers 24C/48T @ 2.4GHz in a 165W thermal envelope. I reckon (based on the chart kompukare shared above) that AMD's naples processor will offer 32C/64T - i.e. 50% more parallel throughput - at the same clock speed and thermal envelope. That Intel chip? Suggested customer price is just under $9000. That's why server first.
    AMD don't exist in the server market. If they had to do only one silicon run why exactly is said silicon being sold in the consumer market only with later silicon being planned for server? Server first, with no server chips... I'd love some of what you're smoking, if only to take the edge off AMD stocks tanking right now -_- Apparently, the "experts" on the stock exchange reckon AMD are doing a far worse job than you do, and sadly they're the ones defining how much money I make off AMD and not you.

Quote Originally Posted by preter_s View Post
    I just can't understand the dinosaur idiots who keep harping about single-threaded performance. Give it a rest! That is so legacy in terms of coding practice. In this age of cloud computer, AI, VR/AR, multi-threading parallel processing is the way to go and the future of all software.
    Because it's marketed as an enthusiast gaming product that is inferior to the competition for gaming.

Sadly, I don't play multiplayer games so I'll leave the discussion of losing because of lack of skill and internet speed up to your clearly superior experience of the above.

Ryzen unfortunately won't be getting any faster until major fabrication improvements are achieved as the chips are already running close to the limits of their current capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    The crazy thing about ryzen is that it's totally feasible. Scaling off the 65W TDP of a 1700, a die with 2 cores fused off should just squeeze into the 45W TDP that the 4 core intel chips in all the top end gaming laptops use (maybe with the clocks turned down a little). So with a single mask they're matching or beating intel in every benchmark, from 8-core prosumer down to laptops
    We've already seen tests that show Ryzen's power consumption scaling with different core loadings:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/...eads-vs-four/2

With XFR enabled just two cores will eat over 50w and with it disabled three cores will still consume over 50w. Any configuration with 4+ cores (i.e. >1 active CCX) will eat >60w and even the 4-core 1400X eats close to 60w as it's a 2+2 configuration.

There's a very good reason mobile and low-end APUs are planned last in AMD's release cycle, i.e. 6+ months away, the design's going to need a lot of refinement to be competitive in those power envelopes.
    Last edited by qasdfdsaq; 15-05-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
    We've already seen tests that show Ryzen's power consumption scaling with different core loadings:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/...eads-vs-four/2

With XFR enabled just two cores will eat over 50w and with it disabled three cores will still consume over 50w. Any configuration with 4+ cores (i.e. >1 active CCX) will eat >60w and even the 4-core 1400X eats close to 60w as it's a 2+2 configuration.

There's a very good reason mobile and low-end APUs are planned last in AMD's release cycle, i.e. 6+ months away, the design's going to need a lot of refinement to be competitive in those power envelopes.
    Rubbish. Those all boost to ~4 GHz, whereas even intel's top end laptop chips only boost to 3.5-3.8 GHz, with a base of 2.6-2.8 GHz. Running the CPU slower will save energy, especially when you aren't trying to hit 3.5GHz on all cores

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Rubbish. Those all boost to ~4 GHz, whereas even intel's top end laptop chips only boost to 3.5-3.8 GHz, with a base of 2.6-2.8 GHz. Running the CPU slower will save energy, especially when you aren't trying to hit 3.5GHz on all cores
    Clearly you haven't even bothered reading the article - or tests of Intel's laptop chips you refer to...

At minimum base speed with no boost, cores use 8-9w each but the CCX "uncore" uses 10-15w of overhead and the package another 10-15w on top of that. Good luck fitting six cores into a 45w TDP when you have nearly 30w eaten up with overhead already just to keep the chip running.

"Fusing off" or disabling two cores on an 1800x drops power consumption by 5w or ~6% from 92w to 87w so how you get the impression fusing off two cores on lower clocked a 1700 will drop power consumption by over 20w or 30% is beyond me.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):

Clearly you haven't even bothered reading the article - or tests of Intel's laptop chips you refer to...

At minimum base speed with no boost, cores use 8-9w each but the CCX "uncore" uses 10-15w of overhead and the package another 10-15w on top of that. Good luck fitting six cores into a 45w TDP when you have nearly 30w eaten up with overhead already just to keep the chip running.

"Fusing off" or disabling two cores on an 1800x drops power consumption by 5w or ~6% from 92w to 87w so how you get the impression fusing off two cores on lower clocked a 1700 will drop power consumption by over 20w or 30% is beyond me.
    30W of overhead, where?

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

That is not how power scaling works. Not even close. The relationship between clock and voltages are well understood. Have a look at The Stilt's Strictly Technical thread over at AT:
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...nical.2500572/

Basically, if you look at the Vmin chart, you'll see that 3.3GHz is already the first Critical (point past which the process losses it perf/watt sweet point and the overhead you talk about will also scale with clocks. Your overhead figures are also very high. By package do you mean the power lost by mobo's VRMs? Ryzen is a SOC but 20W-30W for the built-in chipset sounds crazy and I haven't seen anything like that. System idle has generally been about 40-45W which is about the same as Kabylake. Mobo choice can make a big difference there.

But if they target a more reasonable clock (2.5GHz to 2.8GHz with a reasonable single core turbo on top of that), it should be easily possible to match the mobile quad core i7 (the 45W parts). The cTPD chart from that thread is very telling.

With a cTDP of 45W, it still scores just under 1200 in Cinebench15 versus just over 1400 it scored at its full TPD. And that's for the 8C/16T chip. Mobile is likely to be all 4C/8T at least initially, so a 45W chip should get pretty close to the Ryzen 5 desktop performance. And unlike Ryzen 5, mobile will get its own mask. Obviously, graphics get added back to those wattage figures, but then that will probably mean throttling when both are fully loaded. But that's what everyone does.

No, the reason Ryzen is mobile last is because all the required parts (Zen, Vega, BIOS memory compatibility, and perfecting cTDP) were not ready and desktop non-APU is easier.

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I dunno. Being able to hit 4.5Ghz+ would have given them the crown of the fastest CPU bar none, whereas now they still lose to Intel for single-threaded perf.

The choice you claim they made might give them more efficient high-volume mainstream parts but leaves them without a market leading halo product.
    The server market doesn't care about halo products. It's all about perf/watt. The server market should be WAY more lucrative for AMD right now than the consumer market, so they're absolutely spot on to target perf/watt at lower clocks if they can only do one silicon run. Having a consumer part @ 4.5Ghz stock at the cost of only being able to do ~ 2GHz @ 65W would not be worth it.

So why server first? Intel's current range topping server CPU offers 24C/48T @ 2.4GHz in a 165W thermal envelope. I reckon (based on the chart kompukare shared above) that AMD's naples processor will offer 32C/64T - i.e. 50% more parallel throughput - at the same clock speed and thermal envelope. That Intel chip? Suggested customer price is just under $9000. That's why server first.
    Exactly, those same kids who want to brag about the highest over-clocking number on their rig built with their parents' money... no doubt wouldn't be able to comprehend what the power bill means, unlike the real commercial world.

Look at these idiot kids are still talking about "single-threaded performance" for "bragging rights". Sheesh - the whole world is moving towards multi-threaded software and hardware you moron! Ryzen will give you years of future proofing. Your Ryzen build will get faster and faster over the next 3-5 years you fool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information