• Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Re: FSP and Bitspower unveil the Hydro PTM+ liquid cooled PSU

Do you play games on silent ? I know it seems like a smartass question, but I'm serious, I'm wondering why you even hear fans while gaming

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Do you play games on silent ? I know it seems like a smartass question, but I'm serious, I'm wondering why you even hear fans while gaming
    I don't hear a damn thing over my headset. I'm also wondering why I would consider watercooling a PSU, sounds a bit like tempting fate to me.

Registered+
    Thanks

Need a RGB PSU

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nifl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
    Link please. Because all I see from SilentMaxx are passive air cooled PSUs
    You could have tried like... googling it. Took me 2 Seconds. http://www.aquatuning.de/gehaeuse-un...0w-10/8mm-g1/8
    Yeah I don't speak German, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Potbellieddwarf View Post

I alraedy have a PSU where the fan does not come on during normal use, but once gaming and the usage gets above the 25% load I can hear the PSU fan.
    I have a "normal" PSU where the fan doesn't comes on until load exceeds ~350w or so, which even on a high-end gaming machine from last year basically is never - unless you're running Furmark and Prime95 at the same time.

Then again, the fact that this PSU goes from 1200w to 1400w when watercooled hints at the level of power demand it's aimed at - extreme HEDT machines with multiple GPUs and competition level overclocking. You can easily run an overclocked 6700K + GTX 1070 completely fanlessly on a regular non-passive non-watercooled power supply, but not so much when you're running multiple 1080 Ti's or Fury X's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Honestly? I quite often do. In a lot of strategy games I play the sound is pretty much pointless (and sometimes just plain annoying). But it also varies on where I live and what time of day. If there's a lot of traffic noise, then my PC is barely audible even with the fans on high. In a quiet cul de sac it's literally the only thing audible in the building.
    Last edited by qasdfdsaq; 23-05-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks

as always, depends on hardware and games...

if you play stuff thats taxing hardware AND have high end gpu, chances are the cooler will be LOUD... The mid range cards, however, (the 1060's, 960's, etc) are insanely quiet even at 100% load not reaching 70C on most coolers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
    Yeah I don't speak German, sorry.
    Don't worry. Figured that you're just a troll.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

I'm a big fan of trying to keep my PC as quiet as possible, and never got into water cooling as a result. You can get very quiet air coolers but all the water coolers I've seen have both noisier fans and an additional noise source; the pump.

I've never looked into custom loops so I can see how you could spec fans with a lower noise profile but I can't see how you get around the pump noise?

Thanks

the key is not to get a psu that just about supplies what you need i always get one that provides least 30% more output than i require . that way the components are not running at their voltage / thermal limit , thereby reducing heat and stress on the components which means the fan can run slower. it also means it will last longer and be more stable in the long run. and i think water cooling on a psu is a bad idea anyway. water cooling with 12vdc and 5vdc is fine as you only kill components not your self, but where there is potential for 240vac mains to get into the mix , that's a bad idea.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Liquid cooled power supply?

Cant imagine anything more foolish than directly pumping liquid through the element of the system that is responsible for transforming mains power to DC.

I'm sure there is loads of examples of it done in enterprise and industrial settings...but...no.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Dmint View Post
    the key is not to get a psu that just about supplies what you need i always get one that provides least 30% more output than i require . that way the components are not running at their voltage / thermal limit , thereby reducing heat and stress on the components which means the fan can run slower. it also means it will last longer and be more stable in the long run. and i think water cooling on a psu is a bad idea anyway. water cooling with 12vdc and 5vdc is fine as you only kill components not your self, but where there is potential for 240vac mains to get into the mix , that's a bad idea.
    That's not really true as efficiency is fairly constant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plu...certifications

Let's assume your overspec'ed PSU is running at 50% load vs 100%. The biggest difference between 50% and 100% is actually for Platinum (94% vs 90%) but in general it is 3%.

So take a 1000W Platinum supply, at 50% load it's going to waste ~32W of heat. A 500W Platinum supply running at 100% is going to waste ~55W. Not that big a difference. But more realistically, 1000W Platinum is probably going to cost more than a 500W Titanium, so the comparison is more likely to be between 100% Titanium vs 50% Platinum which co-incidentally is both 94% efficiency so 32W of heat.

Basically, my point is that the 80 Plus certification takes heat into account (since inefficiency in a PSU is heat), and therefore the supplies do not drop off when running near their limits. Of course, most Platinum and Titanium supplies could probably run past their rated at reduced efficiency if they didn't have overcurrent protection. Then they probably would run extra hot and reduce their lifespan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I'm a big fan of trying to keep my PC as quiet as possible, and never got into water cooling as a result. You can get very quiet air coolers but all the water coolers I've seen have both noisier fans and an additional noise source; the pump.

I've never looked into custom loops so I can see how you could spec fans with a lower noise profile but I can't see how you get around the pump noise?
    Decent pumps aren't really that noisy. Most pump "noise" is actually vibration, which gets amplified if it's rigidly coupled to big chunks of metal (e.g. the case). This is quite easy to get around with by isolating the pump using, for example, rubber grommets or mounting kits which are widely available. The pump in my system is barely audible in a completely silent room (about the same noise as a modern hard drive) and completely inaudible with the case door closed.

Pump noise in AIOs is harder to get around largely because the pump is already integrated into either the CPU block or radiator, both of which have to be rigidly mounted to the case or mainboard. In a custom loop you have much more flexibility when it comes to pump decoupling and placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Liquid cooled power supply?

Cant imagine anything more foolish than directly pumping liquid through the element of the system that is responsible for transforming mains power to DC.

I'm sure there is loads of examples of it done in enterprise and industrial settings...but...no.
    Yeah, like, er... how almost all coal, nuclear, and hydroelectric power plants work?

Just because we're historically used to computers that explode or die while submerged doesn't mean the world isn't already full of technology that can reliably work in constant contact with water for years on end.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

You could, hypothetically, have the pump isolated from the CPU waterblock by rubber mounts and a couple of short sections of rubber tubing. So what is now one block bolted to the CPU (that contains the pump and waterblock) would be two blocks with a bit of wiggle possible between them. It also has the potential for hilarity if you manage to hit the resonant frequency of the motherboard on the standoffs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information