Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: AMD reveals Radeon Instinct MI25, a Vega GPU accelerator

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,050
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,939 times in 680 posts

    AMD reveals Radeon Instinct MI25, a Vega GPU accelerator

    It is joined by the MI8 & MI6 GPU accelerators based upon Fiji & Polaris GPUs.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: AMD reveals Radeon Instinct MI25, a Vega GPU accelerator

    Seems like the name is causing some issues here: First it's "SU" and then "Du" instead of "Su"
    ;-)

  3. #3
    I'm special azrael-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked
    107 times in 90 posts
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

    Re: AMD reveals Radeon Instinct MI25, a Vega GPU accelerator

    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDOL View Post
    Seems like the name is causing some issues here: First it's "SU" and then "Du" instead of "Su"
    ;-)
    Machine Intelligence at work...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ATLANTIS
    Posts
    969
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    23 times in 21 posts

    Re: AMD reveals Radeon Instinct MI25, a Vega GPU accelerator

    AMD is comparing with Nvidia P instead of V, on the CPU side you rock but GPUS? Sorry folks

  5. #5
    Cinnamon Roll Ozaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    591
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked
    32 times in 31 posts
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765HT
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

    Re: AMD reveals Radeon Instinct MI25, a Vega GPU accelerator

    Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    AMD is comparing with Nvidia P instead of V, on the CPU side you rock but GPUS? Sorry folks
    Well, that's a bit unfair. You can't compare against something that doesn't exist. Volta may have been announced, has many "here's what it can do" pages but there is no physical product yet.

    As an aside, we don't really know how powerful this GPU is but it's supposedly the world's fastest accelerator, which suggests it's faster than P100 in some tasks, and more importantly they believe it is noticeably more power efficient. When was the last time Radeon was more power efficient? Plus, the gaming versions are hinted to be faster than Frontier and will likely have higher clockrates than MI25, too.

    Now that I've defended this, it is time to confess I am also disappointed that there aren't more examples of MI25 outperforming Pascal somehow.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    15 times in 10 posts

    Re: AMD reveals Radeon Instinct MI25, a Vega GPU accelerator

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Well, that's a bit unfair. You can't compare against something that doesn't exist. Volta may have been announced, has many "here's what it can do" pages but there is no physical product yet.
    Agreed. Only way AMD could have legitimate comparisons against Volta would be if they had insider, pre-release access to NVidia's future hardware. So err, yeah.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    As an aside, we don't really know how powerful this GPU is but it's supposedly the world's fastest accelerator, which suggests it's faster than P100 in some tasks, and more importantly they believe it is noticeably more power efficient. When was the last time Radeon was more power efficient? Plus, the gaming versions are hinted to be faster than Frontier and will likely have higher clockrates than MI25, too.

    Now that I've defended this, it is time to confess I am also disappointed that there aren't more examples of MI25 outperforming Pascal somehow.
    AMD have been noticeably picky and cagey about pre-release benchmark publications lately.

    That said, we know the TDP and it's equal to that of the Tesla P100, and we know they're claiming it's ~10% more powerful than P100, so there's fairly decent ballpark figures. As far as compute goes, it's easier to predict relative performance anyway; it'll certainly be competitive with, if not outright outperforming Pascal.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •