Thread: ROTR and ZBrush performance updates cheer AMD Ryzen users

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

ROTR and ZBrush performance updates cheer AMD Ryzen users

Very significant speed increases delivered to this AAA game and 3D art app respectively.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: ROTR and ZBrush performance updates cheer AMD Ryzen users

22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds. That is not just a performance leap, that's just crazy to near unbelievablity (not even sure that's a word it's so crazy).

Basically they had a performance increase for that "routine job", that's over a 2000% increase.

It is interesting that because the Zen Architecture is so different that intelligent design of the code and processes for the new system increases performance.

Thanks

Optimization!!! We need more optimization! We have powerful hardware but the hurry to put a product on the "shelf" often developers "forget" to do any optimization...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds. That is not just a performance leap, that's just crazy to near unbelievablity (not even sure that's a word it's so crazy).

Basically they had a performance increase for that "routine job", that's over a 2000% increase.

It is interesting that because the Zen Architecture is so different that intelligent design of the code and processes for the new system increases performance.
    That's likely some improvements to the underlying code too. While I can't see zen as the sole reason for the boost, going back to look at 'optimisations' for it could have resulted in using 'better code' and as such I fully expect intel cpu's seeing a boost too but then that wouldn't help AMD's marketing team lol

I kind of expect to see other applications see similar 'improvements' in some areas because a lot of professional programs use a lot of legacy code that is completely unoptimised and causes slow performance. I know 3DS max still has plenty of bits that aren't even multithreaded for example....

5. Received thanks from:

Tabbykatze (26-06-2017)

Thanks

Going from 22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds seems more like they fixed a bug than optimizing something, it's difficult to know if I'm just arguing semantics though as we don't know how long it took on an Intel based system.

7. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (27-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Going from 22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds seems more like they fixed a bug than optimizing something, it's difficult to know if I'm just arguing semantics though as we don't know how long it took on an Intel based system.
    I think performance loss to bug or bad code can be an interchangeable term xD

Thanks

So excited to see what Ryzen is capable of when software devs optimize for it. My biggest concern with AMD's new CPUs wasn't that they would fall short, but that they wouldn't be able to shine because software would continue to only optimize for Intel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Yeah its a bug and pointless graph without a comparison
    Jon

Thread Information