• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 gaming benchmarks published

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    I am not sure with this TFlops theory, GPU makers are claiming their GPUs are way fast than supercomputers of late 90s but the T flops of those supercomputers are composed of thousands of real xeon/Opteron/PowerPC cores each that can process an MS Excel sheet, can a Vega GPU process my Excel documents? also those TFlops are linked to terabytes of RAM...Vega and P100 only have 16-24gigs of RAM
    What does a FLOPS rating have to do with Excel or RAM? FLOPS is a measure of floating-point operations per second, not Excels per second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    I am not sure with this TFlops theory, GPU makers are claiming their GPUs are way fast than supercomputers of late 90s but the T flops of those supercomputers are composed of thousands of real xeon/Opteron/PowerPC cores each that can process an MS Excel sheet, can a Vega GPU process my Excel documents? also those TFlops are linked to terabytes of RAM...Vega and P100 only have 16-24gigs of RAM
    What does a FLOPS rating have to do with Excel or RAM? FLOPS is a measure of floating-point operations per second, not Excels per second.
    My point is that a supercomputer has CPUs that push the Flops to a new level and each CPU can behave like an independent computer unlike GPUs which have to be supported by a CPU

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

My point is that a supercomputer has CPUs that push the Flops to a new level and each CPU can behave like an independent computer unlike GPUs which have to be supported by a CPU
    And? That doesn't change the fact that GPUs can run circles around CPUs in the floating-point stakes, simply because of the raw number of computation ICs they have, even if clocked slower, are simply brute forcing their way through highly parallel problems by sheer numbers. Think of it this way, RX Vega 64 has 4096 stream processors, each doing FP math. How could you ever expect a CPU to compete with that? It's got to the point that it's barely worth the time to utilise CPU floating-point operators and they're practically relegated to the role of a glorified task master/data loader. That's why GPU miners are just throwing basic Pentium CPUs into their mining rigs, and using PCIe extension cables to jam the motherboard completely full with GPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

The biggest Power/Opteron/Xeon based supercomputers were designed to simulate nuclear explosions. The processors weren't doing their own thing, they were all running the same program just modelling the bit of volume assigned to them for the simulation. ASCI Red was 1 TFLOP which seems funny these days, it had 1.2TB of ram though spread across so many CPUs I expect a lot of that just contains duplicate code, and took 850KW of power. Of all the metrics, it sounds like it is the power consumption that really pushed these machines to use graphics cards.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information