Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel fully reveals specifications of its Core-X Series processors

Thanks

Re: Intel fully reveals specifications of its Core-X Series processors

Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    ...Am not a fan of either brand, but where I get the most bang for th bucks then I can live with X item being 5-10% slower or whichever... if you get a 110 fps or 103 fps.. you wont really notice the difference anyway.
    And that's the best place for AMD to be disruptive. The area that makes you go "30% more cost for a ~10% performance increase?"

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    And that's the best place for AMD to be disruptive. The area that makes you go "30% more cost for a ~10% performance increase?"
    It's going to be worse than that though - in the high-thread-count heavy load scenarios these processors are targeted at they're going to be slower than AMD, while costing 50% - 70% more....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    It's going to be worse than that though - in the high-thread-count heavy load scenarios these processors are targeted at they're going to be slower than AMD, while costing 50% - 70% more....
    Then it really does become a cost benefit analysis because i can't see some of the Intel unique features like avx512 really swaying the decision. The other areas are when software has been specifically written for Intel processors. Like the stuff i install is intel hardware only

Thanks

When it comes to power consumption, we'll also have to wait and see what platform power and actual workload power is like - Ryzen ended up doing a lot better at the wall than its TDP would imply, with e.g. the '95W' 1700X/1800X (not even the most efficient bins) generally using less than the '91W' 7700k, even with all cores loaded up with Prime95:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-ry...w-33843-8.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._1800X/14.html

And it looks wore again for Intel when you look at workloads like gaming. I still think this is one of the more impressive aspects of Ryzen's performance, especially since it's one of the things they've been so heavily criticised for in the past, even when the difference was a few watts!

It looks like X299 has its own teething problems e.g. with not clocking correctly and causing BSODs at stock when trying to use AVX512, and bizarre throttling causing performance to drop with additional threads: http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information