Thread: Intel releases 8th Gen Core U-Series processors

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel releases 8th Gen Core U-Series processors

Now packs in four cores and eight threads into 15W U-series chips.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Intel releases 8th Gen Core U-Series processors

It can be argued that innovation has stalled in the desktop space, yet it is alive and kicking in the notebook arena.
    It can also be argued that a certain company might be feeling the heat in other arenas so is having to release some of the innovations it's had parked on the shelf for the last 5 years while lumbering people with hamstrung tech to try and force sales of their more powerful chips. Were it not for AMD's recent strides I wouldn't mind betting these U-series chips would be dual core again.

As an XPS13 owner with a hamstrung i7 "premium" cpu - I'll hold my breath regarding any performance boasts until I see the thermals and throttling behaviour in independent tests of retail consumer units. Don't care what the headline values are if it throttles to the point of uselessness

Thanks

The major problem I have with MacBook and iMac is the price which start at $1000 then you see "with intel HD graphics" Does it make sense to have an i7 processor with intel HD graphics?

Thanks

Thank you AMD!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    The major problem I have with MacBook and iMac is the price which start at $1000 then you see "with intel HD graphics" Does it make sense to have an i7 processor with intel HD graphics?
    yes. Mine does. Have enough threads for sound recording and photo editing but without the penalty on battery life that a dGPU would bring. Not everyone buying an i7 wants to game.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    yes. Mine does. Have enough threads for sound recording and photo editing but without the penalty on battery life that a dGPU would bring. Not everyone buying an i7 wants to game.
    photo editing works better with a better GPU. AMD offers better graphics horsepower on low tier chips, intel customers suffer because of intel's bad graphics.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

photo editing works better with a better GPU. AMD offers better graphics horsepower on low tier chips, intel customers suffer because of intel's bad graphics.
    yes, not saying it doesn't, but for what I need to do on the move I prefer the battery life and no GPU weight or battery hit. I do heavy photo editing on a laptop a couple of times a year. I do daily commuting and basic work stuff much more often. For my needs no GPU is the better option, even if performance in the extreme case is a little bit lower. Quite often consumer mobile GPU don't qualify for full CUDA/similar support anyway.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Solidworks seems to prefer intel graphics over low end nvidia cards, or at least it did when I was looking for a laptop (HD 520 vs 940MX, that was all that was available).

Also, what's the point of the i7s now? 10% extra boost clock isn't enough for intel to charge the normal i7 premium, tbh I'm quite surprised that we got hyperthreading on the i5s

It can also be argued that a certain company might be feeling the heat in other arenas so is having to release some of the innovations it's had parked on the shelf for the last 5 years while lumbering people with hamstrung tech to try and force sales of their more powerful chips. Were it not for AMD's recent strides I wouldn't mind betting these U-series chips would be dual core again.

As an XPS13 owner with a hamstrung i7 "premium" cpu - I'll hold my breath regarding any performance boasts until I see the thermals and throttling behaviour in independent tests of retail consumer units. Don't care what the headline values are if it throttles to the point of uselessness
    Running sub-2GHz on all cores means it shouldn't be too hard to fit in the same thermal profile

Registered+
    Thanks

over inflated chips. just cause it has hyper-threading, does not mean you have to jack up the prices. BUT their are ALWAYS idiots who by without doing research.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Also, what's the point of the i7s now? 10% extra boost clock isn't enough for intel to charge the normal i7 premium, tbh I'm quite surprised that we got hyperthreading on the i5s
    Quote Originally Posted by elites2012 View Post
    over inflated chips. just cause it has hyper-threading, does not mean you have to jack up the prices.
    I think people are as usually confusing desktop and mobile parts as mobile i5 have 'always' had HyperThreading. In fact (ignoring mobile quads which were rare until now), for mobile parts i3 / i5 / i7 has just been a matter of 'no turbo' (i3), or lower turbo speeds or less cache (i5 vs i7) but all with 2C/4T.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

You're right that it isn't too dissimilar to the previous setup, but now mobile i5 has more logical cores than desktop i5 which seems odd

Thanks

You're a few years out of date there, AMD's existing integrated graphics is slower than Intel's on 15W chips.

Short of the much higher power recent GPUs from AMD and nVidia it's hard to beat Intel's GPUs generally. One of the older low end dedicated GPUs like the GM108 might be a little faster in pure power terms but it's also typically less efficient and doesn't compare favourably for technology support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    You're right that it isn't too dissimilar to the previous setup, but now mobile i5 has more logical cores than desktop i5 which seems odd
    Logical cores mean little when the desktop i5 will still have an additional +2 physical cores.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    You're a few years out of date there, AMD's existing integrated graphics is slower than Intel's on 15W chips.

Short of the much higher power recent GPUs from AMD and nVidia it's hard to beat Intel's GPUs generally. One of the older low end dedicated GPUs like the GM108 might be a little faster in pure power terms but it's also typically less efficient and doesn't compare favourably for technology support.
    Agreed. A 15w Intel iGPU (15w iGPU not 15w SoC) will match performance with a 920-930MX which uses double the power.

Were it not for AMD's recent strides I wouldn't mind betting these U-series chips would be dual core again.
    Unlikely. Leaks and rumours of 4-core U series and 6-core H series in 2017 timeframe (originally Cannonlake) were out over a year before Ryzen was even named.

No danger of that here, aside from with incompetent/lazy manufacturers who design cooling systems that fall far short of TDP. Intel chips currently have heavily overstated TDPs and rarely use more than 60-70% of the rated TDP under normal loads with all cores at 100%. Plenty of headroom to play around with, even if they'll push closer with this generation. If my 6th gen Skylake can manage 1.9Ghz on 4 cores at under 16W there'll be no issue of more efficient 8th gen chips having trouble, especially when only 10-12w is used by the cores and the rest by my non-low-power RAM.

Thread Information