Thread: HTC considering Vive VR business sell-off, says report

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

HTC considering Vive VR business sell-off, says report

Or it might even sell-off of the whole of the company, say Bloomberg's sources.
    Read more.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: HTC considering Vive VR business sell-off, says report

It's almost as if VR is not the new HDTV and is more the new 3D TV.

Thanks

The amount of VR kit for sale in my local CEX tells me it ain't ready for primetime yet
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

disclaimer ( i have a HTC Vive )

i dont think VR is ready for mainstream just yet, which i mean half of the people will have a VR setup who own a pc or console.its purely down to the hardware requirements to run it plus it makes some people motion sick ( that does wear off the more you use it though ). and software companies are making a decent profit from the VR games and software market to such an extent that they are developing more.so the chicken and the egg problem is past. its a case of getting the entry price for the full setup to a point where people don't say " HOW MUCH !! " when you tell them the price,get that right then it will go mainstream.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dmint View Post
    disclaimer ( i have a HTC Vive )

i dont think VR is ready for mainstream just yet, which i mean half of the people will have a VR setup who own a pc or console.its purely down to the hardware requirements to run it plus it makes some people motion sick ( that does wear off the more you use it though ). and software companies are making a decent profit from the VR games and software market to such an extent that they are developing more.so the chicken and the egg problem is past. its a case of getting the entry price for the full setup to a point where people don't say " HOW MUCH !! " when you tell them the price,get that right then it will go mainstream.

The requirements these days are pretty lax. You need a 970 or better for current VR equipment, which pretty much means you have to have a mid-range gaming PC. Not a big deal at this point for anyone who can afford the outlay for VR equipment.

Obviously consoles can't meet these requirements and will lag far behind in the VR experience. Though from what I've read PSVR has been successful.

Motion sickness is being found not to be related as much to refresh rate as once thought, but to resolution and FOV. There was a 4k Chinese headset that made waves a few months ago that only supported 30 or 60fps and people weren't getting sick with it, yet Vive and Oculus run at 90+ and people do get sick.

I have a blast with my OSVR (upgraded to 2.0) using a pair of PSMove controllers (with that little joystick accessory they come with too for the gun controller) and 3 PSMove cameras for tracking. Pretty easy to set up these days, too!

IMO $300 should be the price point for the headset and tracking set, and maybe $50 per controller.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

For those who can afford it, the novelty eventually wears off. I see this as a bit like the Wii. Everyone is like woooooeeeewwwww this is the future of gaming, then... It's not

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    For those who can afford it, the novelty eventually wears off.
    Being friends with several of those who can afford it, I disagree.
    Specifically, those who can afford a DK2, then a Vive, then an Occulus, then the Vive add-on headstrappy thing, before switching between them all (which having each connected to its own PC, of course, because they can afford that as well) to see which has the best quality...

Eventually each individual picks one and sticks with it, mainly for playing things like Elite, before going on to tell me how I so need to get one... But they do stick with it and none would ever go back to playing those games on a normal monitor.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Expensive items normally get tagged with the novelty factor, normally by people who can't/won't justify the cost. Its a defence mechanism. Personally, I wish I had more time to use my Vive!

I'm not surprised by this really, HTC have backed themselves into a corner as a company that puts out expensive products, yet don't spend the same on marketing as the likes of Apple and Samsung....sooner or later this was going to catch up with them.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Expensive items normally get tagged with the novelty factor, normally by people who can't/won't justify the cost.
    So does that mean you will be purchasing the non-novelty, fully functional motion-simulator GameCab cockpit for Elite Citizen and Star Dangerous, then?

I still think the big problem is in how little content is particularly suited to VR headsets, with part of that being the control mechanics - Teleporting everywhere isn't as good as normal WASD-based movement in FPSes, but the latter is still too nauseating and so there's little adoption from the big AAA titles to make people want to buy VR.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    So does that mean you will be purchasing the non-novelty, fully functional motion-simulator GameCab cockpit for Elite Citizen and Star Dangerous, then?

I still think the big problem is in how little content is particularly suited to VR headsets, with part of that being the control mechanics - Teleporting everywhere isn't as good as normal WASD-based movement in FPSes, but the latter is still too nauseating and so there's little adoption from the big AAA titles to make people want to buy VR.
    As which most things, that's a matter of opinion. I personally find the teleport function most use to be brilliant. Of course an omnimill would be more accurate/realistic but I don't want to get super-fit to play a game!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

As which most things, that's a matter of opinion. I personally find the teleport function most use to be brilliant.
    As intended, I agree it works great... but it's a bit immersion-breaking, and beaming to different static points is not a patch on actually 'walking' around a full-3D environment like in 2D games.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Expensive items normally get tagged with the novelty factor, normally by people who can't/won't justify the cost. Its a defence mechanism. Personally, I wish I had more time to use my Vive!

I'm not surprised by this really, HTC have backed themselves into a corner as a company that puts out expensive products, yet don't spend the same on marketing as the likes of Apple and Samsung....sooner or later this was going to catch up with them.
    And people who have bought it will always belittle those who's opinions and expectations drove them to make a different decision. Its a defence mechanism.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    And people who have bought it will always belittle those who's opinions and expectations drove them to make a different decision. Its a defence mechanism.
    And people who cannot afford it, but have tried it in the shop, might occasionally get to borrow one off a mate and still dream of having one will try to make peace between both sides, while offering contrary opinions to each because someone has to be Lucifer's Advocate and they've nothing better to do on a Friday.
    It's a Ministry of Defence mechanism.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by DaMoot View Post
    The requirements these days are pretty lax. You need a 970 or better for current VR equipment, which pretty much means you have to have a mid-range gaming PC. Not a big deal at this point for anyone who can afford the outlay for VR equipment.

Obviously consoles can't meet these requirements and will lag far behind in the VR experience. Though from what I've read PSVR has been successful.

Motion sickness is being found not to be related as much to refresh rate as once thought, but to resolution and FOV. There was a 4k Chinese headset that made waves a few months ago that only supported 30 or 60fps and people weren't getting sick with it, yet Vive and Oculus run at 90+ and people do get sick.

I have a blast with my OSVR (upgraded to 2.0) using a pair of PSMove controllers (with that little joystick accessory they come with too for the gun controller) and 3 PSMove cameras for tracking. Pretty easy to set up these days, too!

IMO $300 should be the price point for the headset and tracking set, and maybe $50 per controller.
    The latest consoles are about equal to a 580, so should manage VR ok.

Thread Information