Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft announces Office 2019, scheduled for H2 2018

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft announces Office 2019, scheduled for H2 2018

Microsoft is still adding new capabilities for those "who aren’t yet ready for the cloud".
    Read more.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Re: Microsoft announces Office 2019, scheduled for H2 2018

We've moved to O365 and 2016 at work, and the desktop apps are garbage, I'm sticking with 2013 as long as I can.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I dont understand why they make this lovely pretty interface for you to save files... if you're saving to the cloud.... which only actually works 50% of the time.... the other 50% of the time it forces you to do it via explorer anyway.... where it will then upload straight to the cloud.

Every time microsoft try and make something more straight forward, they make it far more frustrating for the average person.

Registered+
    Thanks

More of the same. Pretty similar marketing tactics to Apple's phones. Sounds glamorous but doesn't really add anything for the majority of users. Still use 2007 on my one PC and 2013 on another. Does a great job but then so does Libre Office on my win10 laptop

Thanks

I use Office 2016/365 in work and home. No issues saving to Onedrive. The applications also don't give me any issues.

" the desktop apps are garbage, I'm sticking with 2013 as long as I can." - Not sure why you think that they're garbage as they're pretty much the exact same version with added stuff?

Are the first three posts from authentic users?

Thanks

The control you have when searching in outlook 2016 is worth the upgrade alone. Not that it is amazing but it was just so bad before.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    I use Office 2016/365 in work and home. No issues saving to Onedrive. The applications also don't give me any issues.

" the desktop apps are garbage, I'm sticking with 2013 as long as I can." - Not sure why you think that they're garbage as they're pretty much the exact same version with added stuff?

Are the first three posts from authentic users?
    Yup, used to be a home user, now I have to use it though work.

Im not alone, and neither are users at our company. Plenty of thread of people with onedrive failing to sync across multiple apps and OSes.

OilSheikh

I still use Office 2010.
    And, because I love Clippit, I have Microsoft Frontpage 2003 installed as well!

Sadly, I shall become part of a generation who no longer upgrades software as the new versions are crappier than the previous.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

I use 2016 but don't bother with the 365 online stuff, it's not even connected to an account, just a key code. I sound like an old man, but they make it more complicated than it needs to be. Until it's completely seamless, the syncing stuff just gets in the way, and at the moment, I find it far from seamless, compared to say Chrome syncing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I dont understand why they make this lovely pretty interface for you to save files... if you're saving to the cloud.... which only actually works 50% of the time.... the other 50% of the time it forces you to do it via explorer anyway.... where it will then upload straight to the cloud.

Every time microsoft try and make something more straight forward, they make it far more frustrating for the average person.
    No not always. But indeed the Office/Skype teams aren't the best IMO. You can simply get the apps from Windows Store that works WAY better and have better UX and they are done also by the MS.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

aren't yet ready for the cloud
    Yet? Not "yet" ready?

Over my dead and rotting corpse will my data EVER be going in the cloud.

As for this upgrade, well, it's too early to say if there's some killer, must-have new feature but if there is, even then it'd have to run on W7 because the chances of me using W10 are the same as my data going on the cloud.

I'm fortunate, I guess, of not being required to use specific software by my employer by virtue of me being my employer, meaning I get to decide when, and indeed IF any software I use needs upgrading (and I get to pay for it too) and, to be honest, pretty much everything I need (and a heck of a lot more) is done by versions I already own. By and large, these are long-standing market-leading applications like Word, Photoshop, etc., and while new versions sometimes have new features that are nice, "nice" isn't a justification for "must upgrade". So why pay out to upgrade?

That is why, for example, I got off the Photoshop bus when it went to a subscription model. It's largely why I got off the Windiws bus when it went Win10, too. And as for the "cloud" bus .... I got a taxi in the opposite direction.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I have 2011 for Mac - but it’ll be the last version of Office I buy/use. Libre Office/Open Office offer all the functionality I need without the encumbrance of the fussy user interface.

For really complex word processing tasks, WordPerfect X3 running on Windows 7 far surpasses MS Word.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I haven't even looked at WordPerfect in years. Really, not since a brief dalliance between years with Wordstar (under DOS) and going fully Word. I've been largely or entirely Office since i think, Office 95.

If X3 is still acquirable, it might be worth a look. That said, my WP requirements aren't demanding and OO/Libre does what I need and the rest is on legacy Win7 and legacy Office systems.

That really sums up my entire approach to computing these days ... what do I need that justifies upgrading, be it hardware or software, and the answer is ummmm ..... errrr ..... dunno.

Unlike 20 years ago when hardware improvements, whether it be speed, storage capacity, printer capabilities, scanner quality, new optical and MO storage options, enabled new software capabilities, these days existing tech is pretty mature and improvements seem incremental rather than genuinely enabling.

I have a list of things, be it business or personal, I need to do and any upgrade spending needs to justify itself in a cost/benefit manner. And I struggle to see how it does. It's more like ditching and replacing a perfrctly good chisel or screwdriver because it's got a slightly better shaped handle but won't be any better at chiselling things or driving screws. A usesble tool is still usable and unless a new one either does a bettrr job, or the same job significantly faster, then why "upgrade" the tool?

In other words, any viable tool upgrade, be it DIY or computing, has to benefit ME not just the company trying to flog the upgrade. And by "benefit", I mean something significant and tangible.

Short of hardware dying on me, I'm not convinced I'll,ever need another upgrade.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    .... Unlike 20 years ago when hardware improvements, whether it be speed, storage capacity, printer capabilities, scanner quality, new optical and MO storage options, enabled new software capabilities, these days existing tech is pretty mature and improvements seem incremental rather than genuinely enabling. ...
    You know, that's pretty much spot on ime. Moving from a 286 @ 12MHz to 486 DXes at Uni, then a Pentium (60MHz, iirc) at home, all felt like real sea-changes in what the technology was capable of doing. But since getting the first PC that I actually owned (a Duron 1200) every new computer and upgrade has felt very much incremental, and since ... ooh, around 2007ish, when we got to the point that even cheap Sempron and Celeron processors were dual core, I don't think I've noticed a single genuine improvement in my PC experience. That's a decade of each new generation of processors and software not really enabling anything new.

If you're a standard home PC user, a 10 year old PC, well looked after, will do pretty much everything a new one will. In fact, I should get my old Core 2 bits out of the shed and slap them together again, just for a nostalgic reminder of what I'm not missing

Of course, that probably goes double for software. There are only so many things you want to do in a Word document. I'm pretty sure that Office 2003 could do 99.5% of them. Office 97 could probably do about 80%; Word 6 perhaps 50%. There's really not been anything genuinely useful that you could add to a WP for the last decade....

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

People still ask me how to "get" office, most of them are just writing the occasional letter so I tell them to use wordpad. I occasionally use Libre, but really cant stand the layout, keep meaning to look at other alternatives. MS have rightly gone all out for Office for use in business, the mob I work for have just jumped in to bed with them with Office 365, so far its worked pretty well (previously Lotus Notes was used for email).

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

LibreOffice does absolutely everything that I need it to, so I'm happy staying with that as I have been for many years now (as well as its predecessor OpenOffice, until the devs split to LibreOffice).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information