Thread: Apple plans cheapest 9.7-inch iPad yet

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple plans cheapest 9.7-inch iPad yet

The $259 tablet will be released in Q2 2018, according to industry sources.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Apple plans cheapest 9.7-inch iPad yet

Wish this had that 120hz ProMotion screen - would like to see that trend grow faster on handheld devices. It's been a thing on gaming monitors for years of course, but would be great on every device in my opinion.

Thanks

For what an iPad actually is... it really should already be around £200. The price for an iPad PRO is just silly. But, as usual, we'll pay the price and carry on (I have an iPad mini 4)

Thanks

P.s. Steve Jobs would probably NOT like the idea as it's de-valuing the product.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    For what an iPad actually is... it really should already be around £200.
    Why? The performance is quite respectable, there's plenty of screen real estate, and you can do quite a lot on it. So $260 is quite reasonable IMO, especially for Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Can get plenty of actually good tablets for under £100 now. Not sure who still buys an iPad. I thought all but actual productivity tablets died off. I bought a Windows Intel Atom hybrid for £160, and it can run everything that a £1000 iPad can't. Visual Studio, some PC games and more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Can get plenty of actually good tablets for under £100 now.
    Any examples? I can think of quite a few mediocre tablets for that price, yes. Perfectly usable but not something I'd call 'actually good'.

Edit: And a Windows tablet is probably very low on most people's list, especially when it comes to usability. Sure, I guess you can use it for Visual Studio and PC games, if you plug in a keyboard and mouse. But that's not really the point of a tablet.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    Any examples? I can think of quite a few mediocre tablets for that price, yes. Perfectly usable but not something I'd call 'actually good'.
    And therein lies the rub. Perfectly usable is good enough for most people. If even apple are struggling to sell premium devices it shows there isn't huge demand for them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    For what an iPad actually is... it really should already be around £200.
    Why? The performance is quite respectable, there's plenty of screen real estate, and you can do quite a lot on it. So $260 is quite reasonable IMO, especially for Apple.
    But would you expect to pay that for the exact same thing if it didn't have the apple logo on it...I bet most wouldn't

While I'm not saying the likely starting at £260 price tag is over-expensive (like other's I have no idea why it entitled to the premium apple is allowed to have other other just as good if not better brands) it will likely be for something that is so cut down that it won't be worth buying and you'll end needing to buy the next step up so you at least get a decent amount of storage etc.

Having said that I'd personally prefer to see an iPad mini with 64GB storage AND support for the stylus (ideally included) at that price...the current price for the mini is just stupidly overpriced, it's only £10 less than the normal ipad which iirc is actually more powerful on the cpu/gpu front etc. But then I'm also far more interested in getting a microsoft surface running on arm (or similar) than I am an iPad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    While I'm not saying the likely starting at £260 price tag is over-expensive (like other's I have no idea why it entitled to the premium apple is allowed to have other other just as good if not better brands) it will likely be for something that is so cut down that it won't be worth buying and you'll end needing to buy the next step up so you at least get a decent amount of storage etc.
    We'll have to wait and see. The only reason I entertained an iPad buy is because it has better games and Android suffers from compatibility issues, which I hate. It's much easier to develop software for a platform that has very few models. I think that an iPad is worth a price premium for that. At $259, that's much closer to what I'm willing to pay. (Though I probably won't end up buying one.)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Seems a bit of a daft move on Apple's part to be honest, but it does fit their trend elsewhere.

Whether you like them and their products or not, up until about 3-4 years ago they were known for selling expensive, but very high quality hardware. iPads were the best tablets around from a hardware perspective - all metal casing, great screens, fast chips etc..there was nothing in the price sector that could compete. Remember Samsung et al were all selling plastic/poly-carbonate tablets and as we know, Android does not translate well to tablets (mostly due to a distinct lack of app support).

Their Mac Pro line used to be the best of the best too - modular, upgradeable and powerful metal monsters that were surprisingly good value if you needed the power they offered, but still very expensive (mostly as most of us dont need the chips they offered; they were not gaming focussed in any way!). That has changed with the newer models that don't have the same level of upgradeability/quality/price.

Similar story for phones, although things dropped off a bit after the iPhone 4. The iPhone X is even worse - hard to believe they have got away with stripping features and leaving in that awful cutout in the screen thats so reminiscent of that awful Motorola smartwatch with the flat tyre.

Then last year, they launched the new iPad - which is cheaper and feels it. It's thicker than my iPad Air 2 and the screen is noticeably poorer in quality, it just doesnt feel as special anymore. It's hard to imagine what else they will cut to make an iPad even cheaper - plastic case? less memory again?

I don't feel sorry for Apple for repeating their mistakes of the past - they have enough money - but its still kind of a shame to see poor business decisions from a company that was once so great.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    But would you expect to pay that for the exact same thing if it didn't have the apple logo on it...I bet most wouldn't
    If there was an android tablet that had a respectable 10" IPS panel, had a high performance (albeit last gen) SoC and was going for £260, I'd be on it like a bee on honey. But since that doesn't exist. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Can get plenty of actually good tablets for under £100 now. Not sure who still buys an iPad. I thought all but actual productivity tablets died off. I bought a Windows Intel Atom hybrid for £160, and it can run everything that a £1000 iPad can't. Visual Studio, some PC games and more.
    Not sure who still buys iPads? Your kidding right? Everyone who has an iPhone and a Mac will get an iPad. I got the new Pro and my wife the regular iPad and they are awesome. Sync between all your devices is priceless

Thread Information