Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    26,294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,493 times in 541 posts

    Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

    Nvidia's discrete desktop GPU shipments were up 35 per cent from the previous quarter.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    253
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel 4690K @ 4.2Ghz (1.15vlts)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1x256GB SSD 1x3TB 1x2TB 7200rpm Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 970 Strix (Stock)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower Leadex 650w Gold
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 450D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Fibre 200Mb

    Re: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

    I really am beginning to despise the people at AMD's RTG for their shambles & failure of a GPU, Vega.

    Their total incompetence in bringing a competitive GPU to market is costing us all dear.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I really am beginning to despise the people at AMD's RTG for their shambles & failure of a GPU, Vega.

    Their total incompetence in bringing a competitive GPU to market is costing us all dear.
    The uArch that the Vega GPU chips are based off is revolutionary, and is leagues ahead of NVidia's Pascal (at least the Pascal that's present in GeForce. I haven't had a chance to work with the Quadro cards - way too expensive for what they are).

    I have to wonder if the Vega uArch lends itself better to being smaller chips (1024 - 2048 cores) clocked a little slower, but with many chips packed together on Infinity Fabric (cheaper, more cores, lower power consumption). Maybe the big, fast, hot Vega GPUs we have is just a stop-gap before Navi is released and we get to see it really shine?

    Either way, the technical advances that Vega brings are pretty damn exciting and we should consider ourselves lucky we still have some competition in the market to enable this.

    I agree that NVidia are fleecing PC gamers right now, but it won't remain like that for long. If their GPUs are too expensive, then just don't buy them (my view for the last 3 years).

  4. #4
    Tangential CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Planet Of The Moose
    Posts
    26,151
    Thanks
    2,868
    Thanked
    3,956 times in 3,073 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

    The Hexus article missed out this nugget of info PCPER posted:

    https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...acturers-faces





    Intel graphics market share decreased. AMD and Nvidia gained more marketshare in a market which had more sales than the last quarter.

    That means more people are buying dGPUs for their systems and I suspect it is down to Ryzen probably not having an IGP,and more Intel systems using a dGPU.

    Edit!!
    GPU attachment rates were up in Q3 2017, with 39.55 per cent of all PCs shipping with discrete GPUs, that's up 4.18 per cent.
    "AMD's notebook APU shipments were up 2.2 percent. Desktop discrete GPUs increased 16.1 per cent from last quarter, and notebook discrete shipments increased 5.2 per cent. AMD's total PC graphics shipments increased 7.6 per cent from the previous quarter."
    That indicates AMD desktop APU shipments have probably crashed,otherwise their marketshare would not have been flat.

    It seems the market shares of Matrox and S3 have finally disappeared into the noise, leaving only Intel, AMD and NVIDIA represented in the breakdown of global GPU market share. In all cases the total amount of sales have gone up, which fits in with seasonal patterns and demonstrates that while the PC market may be wounded, it is far from dead. Intel's total GPU sales increased by 5% from last quarter, which translated to a loss of 3.2% of total market share. AMD saw a total increase of 7.6%, their desktop GPUs alone increased by 16.1%, however that was only enough to keep them at the same ~13% of the global GPU market. NVIDIA saw the biggest increase, a 29.5% jump in sales, which gives them just under 20% of the GPU market to call their own.
    Looking at the figures,its quite interesting,it shows that more people are equipping Intel systems with dGPUs and Ryzen having no IGP means more dGPU sales for both AMD and Nvidia. It might explain why Nvidia kind of likes Ryzen!!

    So AMD and Nvidia have both increased dGPU sales,at the expensive of Intel but Nvidia got more of them,and I suspect a lot of the increase might even be down to Ryzen,as the Intel drop is nowhere as big as the increase in BOTH AMD and Nvidia sales.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-11-2017 at 07:13 PM.


    Go!Go! Gadget Underpants!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked
    52 times in 48 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @stock, until I upgrade my graphics
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 512GB, 2TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E

    Re: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

    Raven ridge is just what AMD needs to boost marketshare - it's got the ryzen touch, and bundles a GPU

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Looking at the figures,its quite interesting,it shows that more people are equipping Intel systems with dGPUs and Ryzen having no IGP means more dGPU sales for both AMD and Nvidia. It might explain why Nvidia kind of likes Ryzen!!

    So AMD and Nvidia have both increased dGPU sales,at the expensive of Intel but Nvidia got more of them,and I suspect a lot of the increase might even be down to Ryzen,as the Intel drop is nowhere as big as the increase in BOTH AMD and Nvidia sales.
    AMD would need RavenRidge to get picked up heavily in bulk orders with the likes of Dell and Fujitsu etc; I wonder if Intel are still pulling shady deals to block that.

    Also, with the IGP deal with Intel at least they'll get something, though it kind of feels like AMD are hobbling RR before it has a chance.

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

    Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I really am beginning to despise the people at AMD's RTG for their shambles & failure of a GPU, Vega.

    Their total incompetence in bringing a competitive GPU to market is costing us all dear.
    The uArch that the Vega GPU chips are based off is revolutionary, and is leagues ahead of NVidia's Pascal (at least the Pascal that's present in GeForce. I haven't had a chance to work with the Quadro cards - way too expensive for what they are).

    I have to wonder if the Vega uArch lends itself better to being smaller chips (1024 - 2048 cores) clocked a little slower, but with many chips packed together on Infinity Fabric (cheaper, more cores, lower power consumption). Maybe the big, fast, hot Vega GPUs we have is just a stop-gap before Navi is released and we get to see it really shine?

    Either way, the technical advances that Vega brings are pretty damn exciting and we should consider ourselves lucky we still have some competition in the market to enable this.

    I agree that NVidia are fleecing PC gamers right now, but it won't remain like that for long. If their GPUs are too expensive, then just don't buy them (my view for the last 3 years).

    Doesn't matter how revolutionary it is if the performance is not there. Had Vega been released February I think it would have been OK - I might have bought one - however as it is the chip is large, expensive to make, and there are still no third party releases with better coolers.

    Even if Vega starts performing well vs Pascal in new releases that is still only being competitive some two years after Pascal's launch and with Volta around the corner.

    As for efficiency in smaller chips, there were a lot of rumours surrounding Vega 11 - even seeing reports of certification with South Korea's RRA in September - but nothing new for some two months now. I have to wonder if AMD got some samples back, and the performance relative to the cost of manufacture is too low to replace Polaris.


    On the plus side for AMD, Epyc seems to be performing well. It is a shame they couldn't get the single socket Epyc out by now - if Scan's preorder 1P Epyc pricing is correct that really would have been the nail in the coffin of X299.
    CAPS LOCK IS NOT A BUTTON IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •