• Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Re: Big security flaw in Apple MacOS High Sierra uncovered

Funny thing, the other day I got into trouble over this problem.
    My sister is a die-hard apple devotee and will not hear a bad word said about them.
    And through her job, she has confidential info on her products.
    So when I first heard about this glitch, I tried to tell her about it, but she would not believe me and got angry that I was putting apple down (again).
    Her husband told me not to mention it again and he would try to sort it out.
    So much for trying to be a concerned brother. :-)

WARNING TO APPLE USERS

5 days ago, I started hearing several reports that the fix itself may also have a problem.
    It could be that the original glitch is not really fixed yet
    Here is an example report from BGR - http://bgr.com/2017/12/01/macos-root-login-bug/
    And another from Wired - https://www.wired.com/story/macos-up...oot-bug-patch/
    As I don't have any fruity products to check, and I cannot discuss it with my sister (if she even found out I had asked her husband, I would be back in the doghouse again), maybe someone out there can look into it?
    Last edited by whatif; 06-12-2017 at 10:48 PM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Big security flaw in Apple MacOS High Sierra uncovered

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post

If this came from a team who worked for me, I'd be able to fire them for gross incompetence.
    While we don't know the circumstances, it might be a pity as you would be losing a team member who had just learned a valuable lesson. If I was a manager, I might be looking at the team leader for failing to adequtely supervise or perhaps encouraging a culture of openness - software development should be a bit like aviation - mistakes and errors are analysed to ensure they are not repeated!

Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    Funny thing, the other day I got into trouble over this problem.
    My sister is a die-hard apple devotee and will not hear a bad word said about them.
    And through her job, she has confidential info on her products.
    So when I first heard about this glitch, I tried to tell her about it, but she would not believe me and got angry that I was putting apple down (again).
    Her husband told me not to mention it again and he would try to sort it out.
    So much for trying to be a concerned brother. :-)
    Sounds like a classic case of the boy who cried wolf. You have - for whatever reason - denigrated Apple's products to your sister (who obviously finds that they meet her PC requirements very well). As a consequence you have lost any credibility or reputation for impartiality in her eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    WARNING TO APPLE USERS

5 days ago, I started hearing several reports that the fix itself may also have a problem.
    It could be that the original glitch is not really fixed yet
    Here is an example report from BGR - http://bgr.com/2017/12/01/macos-root-login-bug/
    And another from Wired - https://www.wired.com/story/macos-up...oot-bug-patch/
    As I don't have any fruity products to check, and I cannot discuss it with my sister (if she even found out I had asked her husband, I would be back in the doghouse again), maybe someone out there can look into it?
    Thank you for this, Im sure it will be of use to sme Apple users here. Fortunately I had already set a root password before the patch was released.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information