Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 26

Thread: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,064
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,662 times in 578 posts

    GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    New model uses 6-inch IPS screen, Intel Core M3-7Y30 chip, 8GB RAM, and a 128GB M.2 SSD.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    379
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    16 times in 15 posts
    • Wozza365's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Really impressive performance, but still would have preferred some kind of low end ryzen apu or even a 150MX

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    5 times in 3 posts

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    wouldn't the power usage be too high with ryzen?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Xlucine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,360
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked
    100 times in 85 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @stock
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB, 2TB hard disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 150 mb fibre

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    It's got a 4.5 W CPU - ryzen has a way to go before it'll fit in that chassis, and any dedicated GPU is out. Could work with a mobile phone SoC running windows, but those are the only real competition at this TDP

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    37 times in 32 posts

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    I think there are two issues with AMD chips here - firstly they're unproven and have some compatibility issues which would likely mean extended R&D to flush these out. Then you have the high TDP which means they're just not suited to something this small. Intel may be more expensive but it's a more mature platform, the bugs and nuances are better known. Counter to this, use of the Intel chip rather than AMD will mean that you won't be able to fry an egg on it which does mean losing a potential feature.

    I think the issue with a mobile SoC is that you'll be limited to either emulating or games that are compiled for ARM. Isn't the idea here that the whole thing is x86 games compatible on the move? Frankly if you want to play mobile phone games, just use your phone and a portable charger.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    9 times in 9 posts
    • 3s-gtech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 850 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Antec 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    As AMD have an ARM license, and Windows 10 will run in semi-emulation on upcoming hardware, that may be the route they go down (with AMD graphics). AMDs x86 chips in this power envelope topped out with A10 Micro-6700T Mullins I think, which is a long way behind this. Don't think they have anything else close in this power envelope.

  7. #7
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,723
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked
    859 times in 735 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 660GB Linux, 500GB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 24 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    It's got a 4.5 W CPU - ryzen has a way to go before it'll fit in that chassis, and any dedicated GPU is out. Could work with a mobile phone SoC running windows, but those are the only real competition at this TDP
    Mobile Ryzen can work with a TDP of 9W, so double what we have here but that is with twice the cores and usable graphics so cutting Ryzen down to 2 core 4 thread and halving the clock speeds would probably get AMD a 4.5W part without too much hassle. A genuine 2 core and reduced SP die would be better.

    But I have to wonder what people actually play on these things? I have had problems gaming at 1366x768 so I imagine 1280x720 is way worse, and having heard my kids complain about their Atom 2 in 1 machines (with way better 10" screens) being unable to run anything interesting because they are Windows 10 and all the interesting games are Android I find this baffling.

    Spend less, get a Nintendo Switch.

  8. #8
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    3,843
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked
    389 times in 322 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K J-batch o/c to 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    I love the idea of these things, especially if they can run games like Skyrim and potentially serve as UMPC type things. I still miss my Psions and such.

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Mobile Ryzen can work with a TDP of 9W, so double what we have here but that is with twice the cores and usable graphics so cutting Ryzen down to 2 core 4 thread and halving the clock speeds would probably get AMD a 4.5W part without too much hassle. A genuine 2 core and reduced SP die would be better.
    If it were that simple then AMD would have launched it already (together with Raven Ridge) and not in the official roadmaps yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    But I have to wonder what people actually play on these things? I have had problems gaming at 1366x768 so I imagine 1280x720 is way worse, and having heard my kids complain about their Atom 2 in 1 machines (with way better 10" screens) being unable to run anything interesting because they are Windows 10 and all the interesting games are Android I find this baffling.
    Guess you never heard of GPD Win 2's highly successful predecessor GPD Win which features an Intel Atom SoC. Look around Youtube for numerous reviews and gameplays of the original GPD Win. Some even managed to install Android on it. Quite capable of running most games especially indie ones on Steam. Using emulators are also popular. GPD Win 2's much faster SoC with high single thread performance, emulators would benefit the most.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Spend less, get a Nintendo Switch.
    Cheaper, yes but closed ecosystem (limited to games published for the system). That is why the original GPD Win despite higher prices was still popular because of open ecosystem.

  10. #10
    Senior Member SUMMONER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    616
    Thanked
    109 times in 101 posts
    • SUMMONER's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8320 with a Cooler Master Nepton 280L cooler
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3-1866
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 Pro/830 SSDs, Western Digital Green HDDs and a rather large stack of HP MicroServers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB DDR5
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master G550M Semi Modular 80+ Bronze
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V71 with 4 x 200mm fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7, Windows 10, OSX and Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x 23" LG IPS234V monitors mounted on Jetmaster arms
      • Internet:
      • 38Mbit VDSL Broadband via Talk Talk

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Looks nice enough. Might make a good replacement for my portable diagnostic computer.

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Strand, Cape Town, Western-Cape
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • KN1GHT's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Hero 6 x370 (Wi-Fi)
      • CPU:
      • AMD R7-1700 @ 3.918GHz (1.35v)
      • Memory:
      • 32GB's of 3200MHz Gskill Ripjaws @ 3066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 960 EVO, 250GB 5400RPM, 500GB 7200RPM, 1TB 7200RPM, 2TB 7200RPM
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1xPalit Zetstream GTX1080ti @ 2025Core & 5900Mem
      • PSU:
      • Andyson AD-700YYZZZ N Series 700W 80 Plus Titanium Certified Semi-Modular Black Desktop Power Supply
      • Case:
      • Phanteks PH-EC416PSTG_BK Eclipse P400S Silent-Edition Tempered Glass Satin Black Steel
      • Operating System:
      • Dual Boot Windows 7 Pro & Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1xSamsung 32inch LED TV (1366x768 native) & 1xAcer 23inch (1920x1080) using DSR (3840x2160)
      • Internet:
      • 4mbps uncapped

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I think there are two issues with AMD chips here - firstly they're unproven and have some compatibility issues which would likely mean extended R&D to flush these out. Then you have the high TDP which means they're just not suited to something this small. Intel may be more expensive but it's a more mature platform, the bugs and nuances are better known. Counter to this, use of the Intel chip rather than AMD will mean that you won't be able to fry an egg on it which does mean losing a potential feature.

    I think the issue with a mobile SoC is that you'll be limited to either emulating or games that are compiled for ARM. Isn't the idea here that the whole thing is x86 games compatible on the move? Frankly if you want to play mobile phone games, just use your phone and a portable charger.
    Understandably this is slightly besides the point, but with Ryzen AMD's CPU's are running cooler and use less juice than their corresponding Intel counterparts overall. So that meme is slowly dying out.

    That said AMD doesn't have anything in such a small factor that can currently compete as far as I know.

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    As AMD have an ARM license, and Windows 10 will run in semi-emulation on upcoming hardware, that may be the route they go down (with AMD graphics).
    AMD had planned ARM based SoCs like Amur and Lanner Falcon although both were scrapped. Intel also had ARM license from legacy XScale (which was sold to Marvell) and acquisitions (like Infineon and Altera). For example, Intel's Altera FPGAs uses ARM cores. But Intel still stuck to x86 for their mobile SoCs because there are too many competing ARM based SoCs (from Qualcomm, Mediatek, Samsung, HiSilicon, Rockchip, Broadcom, etc) saturating the market. Perhaps AMD also saw this (and subsequently cancelled both Amur and Lanner Falcon). Emulation will always have performance penalties, especially if single thread performance not strong enough. Check out UltrabookReview preview of Asus NovaGo TP370QL (with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 running Windows 10 on ARM) as they managed to get some benchmark results (Cinebench R11.5, Passmark, Octane v2, etc). Early indications points to Intel's Atom level of CPU performance and sometimes worse (in Cinebench R11.5 MT, Passmark, Octane v2, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    AMDs x86 chips in this power envelope topped out with A10 Micro-6700T Mullins I think, which is a long way behind this. Don't think they have anything else close in this power envelope.
    The only mobile device using A10 Micro-6700T was AMD's Discovery reference tablet. BungBungame Photon 2 tablet was supposed to use A10 Micro-6700T, but instead used a slower A6 Micro-6500T (which strangely was missing in AMD's tablet APUs product list). Thus big question mark about A10 Micro-6700T usage in small mobile devices like tablets (perhaps unforseen problems encountered such as heat and battery life). Handheld devices like GPD Win is much smaller than AMD's Discovery reference tablet.

  13. #13
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,725
    Thanks
    1,161
    Thanked
    2,151 times in 1,780 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Quote Originally Posted by LordRetroGamer View Post
    ... If it were that simple then AMD would have launched it already (together with Raven Ridge) and not in the official roadmaps yet. ...
    It's not on the consumer roadmaps, but the embedded/industrial roadmap has always had a 2C/3CU SKU on, and the corresponding engineering sample has been seen in the wild. The only question is whether they'll produce mainstream consumer products using that die or keep it for embedded/industrial/semi-custom. But either way, AMD are making a 2 core, 4 thread, 192 shader APU die, which is less than half the silicon of 4C Raven Ridge, and could therefore reasonably be expected to work in half the TDP of 4C Raven Ridge.

  14. #14
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,723
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked
    859 times in 735 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 660GB Linux, 500GB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 24 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Quote Originally Posted by LordRetroGamer View Post
    If it were that simple then AMD would have launched it already (together with Raven Ridge) and not in the official roadmaps yet.
    AMD have previously gone after the tablet market with really nice chips that couldn't compete with Intel giving the Atoms away. Once burnt, I can't see them trying again any time soon.

  15. #15
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    3,843
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked
    389 times in 322 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K J-batch o/c to 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Is/was the similar Pandora device any good?

  16. #16
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC details and benchmarks released

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    It's not on the consumer roadmaps, but the embedded/industrial roadmap has always had a 2C/3CU SKU on, and the corresponding engineering sample has been seen in the wild. The only question is whether they'll produce mainstream consumer products using that die or keep it for embedded/industrial/semi-custom.
    As far as I know, those AMD engineering samples were actually Stoney Ridge and Merlin Falcon which were still using AMD's older Excavator cores. The lowest TDP for Stoney Ridge is 6W (for AMD E2-9000e only) and for Merlin Falcon is 12W. These are still in production and no replacements have been forthcoming yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    But either way, AMD are making a 2 core, 4 thread, 192 shader APU die, which is less than half the silicon of 4C Raven Ridge, and could therefore reasonably be expected to work in half the TDP of 4C Raven Ridge.
    Quite unlikely to see those 2 core 4 thread APUs anytime soon, since even the current Raven Ridge chip looks to be in short supply (possibly due to slow product ramp). That is why there are so few notebooks using AMD's Raven Ridge, at last count three only. Also currently HP's Envy x360 is the only one available although Acer's Swift 3 could be coming soon while Lenovo's IdeaPad has yet to emerge.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    AMD have previously gone after the tablet market with really nice chips that couldn't compete with Intel giving the Atoms away. Once burnt, I can't see them trying again any time soon.
    Lets not forget HP which had a chance to use AMD's Mullins chips for a tablet product (such as the ElitePad series), but instead ended up in low end notebooks like HP Stream 14 series (which used A4 Micro-6400T). Should be noted that HP never used A10 Micro-6700T in any of their notebook products either. For some reason, most of AMD's A10 Micro-6700T chips ended up at Compulab. Thus after numerous delays, BungBungame Photon 2 remains the only production tablet that uses AMD's (A6 Micro-6500T) Mullins chip, which was made obselete by the time it finally launched due to its high price and competition from more powerful tablets powered by Intel's Core M series chips (which were also in the same price range). Also BungBungame Photon 2's high price meant that its not competing in the same sector as much cheaper tablets powered by Intel's Atom chips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Is/was the similar Pandora device any good?
    Yes, similar but GPD Win 2 is much more powerful (especially in the CPU department).
    Last edited by LordRetroGamer; 21-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •