Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaker Apple iPhone X demand expected in Q1 2018

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Weaker Apple iPhone X demand expected in Q1 2018

And Apple is getting sued for slowing down iPhones to compensate for battery aging.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Weaker Apple iPhone X demand expected in Q1 2018

I can't actually see how anybody expected such an expensive phone to sell well. Even my Apple loving friends weren't interested in it at that price. However, it seems that the iPhone 8+ was well receieved so all is not lost. As regards the class action lawsuit - well that was a given once they admitted they slowed them down really
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Normanyakuza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Q77AX Embedded ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Pentium dual-Core E5200 @2.50ghz 2.49ghz
      • Memory:
      • Unkhown
      • Storage:
      • 1GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • G33/G31 express chipset family
      • PSU:
      • Unkhown
      • Case:
      • Acer Aspire
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Home premium 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer x193HQ
      • Internet:
      • Wireless

High price or popular brand doesn't mean that device do better performance
    Holla!

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

My upgrade was due around a week before Christmas, after talking to my provider about the X and 8+ I decided to go for an iPhone 8 Plus (needed a bigger screen as eyes aren't the best! )the 6 I had was a decent handset in all fairness and I hadn't noticed it being any slower.

If it means that much to the people filing a lawsuit I would suggest that their time and money would be better spent getting the battery replaced in their older phone. I understand they are upset over slowing the phones down but from a technical standpoint if it gets longer out of your battery I don't have a problem with it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    My upgrade was due around a week before Christmas, after talking to my provider about the X and 8+ I decided to go for an iPhone 8 Plus (needed a bigger screen as eyes aren't the best! )the 6 I had was a decent handset in all fairness and I hadn't noticed it being any slower.

If it means that much to the people filing a lawsuit I would suggest that their time and money would be better spent getting the battery replaced in their older phone. I understand they are upset over slowing the phones down but from a technical standpoint if it gets longer out of your battery I don't have a problem with it
    It's the US of A sire - that's how you do these things in this century

Thanks

Apple has out-Appled themselves. They've driven their own prices beyond what their consumer base is willing to pay, and what a large part of them is coming to understand about the lack of quality when it relates to Apple products. People are starting to see more and more how Apple builds in 13-18 month obsolescence through cheap components, or components that are run right at the very edge of their limits.

Thanks

I don't either, but I assume the lawsuit is about the fact that apple are essentially handicapping /limiting the device without an opt in or telling owners.

So I think I understand their point, but I don't know what a lawsuit is going to achieve.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamlorro View Post
    I don't either, but I assume the lawsuit is about the fact that apple are essentially handicapping /limiting the device without an opt in or telling owners.

So I think I understand their point, but I don't know what a lawsuit is going to achieve.
    If they lose.... millions or Apple replacing all those batteries to restore the speed I guess

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by DaMoot View Post
    Apple has out-Appled themselves. They've driven their own prices beyond what their consumer base is willing to pay, and what a large part of them is coming to understand about the lack of quality when it relates to Apple products. People are starting to see more and more how Apple builds in 13-18 month obsolescence through cheap components, or components that are run right at the very edge of their limits.
    I'm willing to pay for a product that is right for me, with the iPhone X covered in glass? That isn't the right product for me, my 5S is still going absolutely fine and I prefer the build quality that it has provided. Equally I'd love to know where you get 13-18 months from, especially when my 5S is still going strong. If it has been slowed down by the OS, it really isn't something I've noticed even remotely, battery performance is still fine for my usage.

So I'll have to disagree with your assessment of Apple products.

Now as to the class action lawsuits in the USA? If that is their right to do so, then they are entitled to exercise that right. I do think Apple has damaged their brand by not informing customers or giving them the option to opt-in though, that would have been an easy win for them and would only require minimal effort on their part.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The X want much of an ‘improvement’ over the 8, and certainly (imho) not worth the price premium. A friend of mine bought two, one for his other half. She rejected it, and he returned it, and finds it hard to justify his.

As for the law suits, it will be interesting to see how they pan out. While I sort of get the reasoning, an option on whether to maximise performance or battery life would have been more transparent, unless it was to hide an inherent flaw in the design, where the internal resistance of the battery increased more than the design allowed for as the battery ages.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMoot View Post
    I'm willing to pay for a product that is right for me, with the iPhone X covered in glass? That isn't the right product for me, my 5S is still going absolutely fine and I prefer the build quality that it has provided. Equally I'd love to know where you get 13-18 months from, especially when my 5S is still going strong. If it has been slowed down by the OS, it really isn't something I've noticed even remotely, battery performance is still fine for my usage.

So I'll have to disagree with your assessment of Apple products.

Now as to the class action lawsuits in the USA? If that is their right to do so, then they are entitled to exercise that right. I do think Apple has damaged their brand by not informing customers or giving them the option to opt-in though, that would have been an easy win for them and would only require minimal effort on their part.
    Generally the primary product is well built but Apple will not admit it is vulnerable to the state of tech these days and this has led to their stupid action around the batteries. Along with misrepresenting their product as it is faster at the beginning meaning that when tested in store or on reviews it seems fantastic but can not sustain this performance for the long term. It would also appear that they continue to game benchmarks despite poor battery states. Other manufacturers have done the decent thing and ensured the maximum current drain / voltage requirement from the device is sustainable for the reasonable life of the battery. I'd peg this at two years as that's the length of most contracts.

In my experience and going by customer feedback I've read, some Apple products DO seem designed to fail within the 13-18 month period. Macbook chargers are well designed in order to fail prematurely and cost a fortune to replace. When I tried to claim on warranty for this they refused and treated me like such rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish in their store (despite dropping over a grand on their laptop and also having Apple "care") I will NEVER buy from them again. If they haven't changed it, have a look at the reviews on Apple chargers. They fail just outside the standard warranty period and then go and try to get it replaced. I love my Macbook Air. It's an incredibly well made bit of kit (thermal stability aside) but the customer support is arrogant and rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe and the price of parts that are designed to fail is abhorrent. Their obsession with making on the ancillaries is demonstrated nicely by their obsession with dongles rather than ports.

Their marketing is great, their primary products are great (mostly) but the accessories and support are, in my experience, disgustingly bad. When I buy a premium product at premium prices I do not expect an arrogant salestwat to treat me like he stood in me. I expect him to grovel and do everything he can to fix my problem in the hope I'll come back.

Registered+
    Thanks

I love my iPhone X but the price was unreal....$1150 US for the 256gig ....If you finance it...that comes out over $1500....WHAT?? Glad I paid for it upfront

Registered+
    Thanks
    • s_ATI_sfied's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5930K
      • Memory:
      • Kingston Hyper-X Predator 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM591 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X
      • PSU:
      • Bequiet PowerZone 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27UD68P 4K IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

Imagine taking your car to be serviced and at 50000 miles, they decide to limit performance without telling you. Then when they get called out for it, they cover their tracks by claiming it was to protect your aging engine. Would that be ok?

This is basically what Apple have done with their older phones and used an albeit plausible excuse to justify doing it. Apple don't own these phones and therefore can't just do whatever they want without informing their customers and giving them the option of switching it on or off. Not every battery will degrade at the same rate and they could be impacting phones which are still working perfectly well.

Registered+
    Thanks
    News that iphonex is not selling well should not be a surprise. I know an avid fan of the iphone but even he said it's too expensive and wouldn't buy one.
    Apple might need to cut some of their legendary margins if they want to make it a success, I'm sure their is alot of leeway to do so.

They only thing apple really did wrong was not telling anyone or providing an option, a small footnote saying we will optimise your phone as it ages to balance battery life with performance. This class lawsuit is bslls imo, maybe apple should offer to remove the code and see how the users complain about poor battery life.
    Last edited by peterb; 29-12-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I see Apple have issued a statement apologising and stating that they will update the software to allow better battery monitoring (not clear if that will allow users to customise performance/battery life) and have cut the cost of battery replacement for some iPhones.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

For less than the price of one iPhone X, you can get three iPhone SE phones or nearly two iPhone 7s. Food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information