Thread: Nvidia opens GeForce NOW cloud gaming PC beta

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia opens GeForce NOW cloud gaming PC beta

And updates GeForce Experience with real-time post-processing filters, and more.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Re: Nvidia opens GeForce NOW cloud gaming PC beta

You know how rich people frequently become quite eccentric and do odd things with their money? I keep getting the feeling that all of this success and revenue is doing the same to nVidia. I don't know anyone who particularly needed Freestyle, (for the record, The Forest did it already and I'm very sure it was not the only game) but they give us these features anyway.

I'm sure this Cloud thing could do well in a South Korean cyber cafe but here in backwards land I'd rather hold the tech myself.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    You know how rich people frequently become quite eccentric and do odd things with their money? I keep getting the feeling that all of this success and revenue is doing the same to nVidia. I don't know anyone who particularly needed Freestyle, (for the record, The Forest did it already and I'm very sure it was not the only game) but they give us these features anyway.
    I myself use reshade in a lot games, most developers use an awful tint (probably to help with aliasing along with AA techniques) that makes games look blurred, colourless & soft. Adding a bit of colouring & sharpening can make things look so much better, especially at higher resolutions where there's less need to combat aliasing.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Never thought I'd see the day but this may be what I've been waiting for

Now means I can take my low spec PC (fx6100/750Ti) to the misses and play some games at potentially decent framerates
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Isn't this born out of the death of OnLive? (which incidentally I thoroughly enjoyed for the time I was using it)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Am I missing something here? You have a lowish spec PC and you're playing games using a gaming machine that lives in the fluffy rainy thing. We know from a recent Hexus article that there's a lot of latency in a modern PC and only high end gaming machines have low latencies. So, you're using a laptop to do this using hotel wifi. You seriously mean to tell me that the 200ms latency in your low spec PC, plus the latency of the wifi / mesh system plus the latency of the internet connection which will probably be too rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish to do this on anyway isn't going to add up to a game destroying 1/3rd of a second total latency? Yeh you might have fibre at home with a 30ms latency but we normally game using decent spec PCs where latency isn't a big issue. Surely on lower spec devices it is going to present a problem and all you need is someone in the neighbourhood downloading a whole bunch of Hilary pr0n and you're screwed.

If you do this, you're going to have to invest heavily in a very good internet connection, a high spec router and you'll probably want to cable your PC in. Hell, once you've done all that you might as well have just bought a decent gaming PC and not had all the potential issues. I wonder how long it'll be before traffic shaping by BT Wholesale destroys your ping? I somehow doubt they'll be prioritising your game streaming over their high paying business customers who are busy making and distributing Clinton based content.

Thread Information