Thread: Valve hides away Steam Machines in its web store

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Valve hides away Steam Machines in its web store

Link from main page hardware menu removed, sealing the fate of this venture.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Valve hides away Steam Machines in its web store

The imagined hardware sales boost for Valve, and the related boost for Linux gaming, just never came.
    Hardware sales for Valve I agree with but Linux itself has seen a massive boost to gaming since Valve got involved.

Thanks

The biggest problem IMO is that until Linux (SteamOS) is at least on-par with Windows in terms of performance there's not really much reason for gamers to switch, i know Valve has done a lot for gaming on Linux but until they overcome that hurdle it destined to fail.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    The biggest problem IMO is that until Linux (SteamOS) is at least on-par with Windows in terms of performance there's not really much reason for gamers to switch, i know Valve has done a lot for gaming on Linux but until they overcome that hurdle it destined to fail.
    Or maybe MS doing something really stupid that forces people to look elsewhere

Thanks

As a linux gamer I can tell you the precise cause of the failure of steam machines: No decent AAA games are natively written for linux.
    There are some excellent ports, but that's all they are ports, and they can never be expected to run as well as on an optimised machine. Valve did a good job for linux but have failed to keep up the momentum. They needed to throw more weight behind the development of SteamOS and get people to actually write AAA games for it. Vulkan might change things in the future though when linux performance surpasses windows and you never know people might get fed up of windows 10, I know I am.

Thread Information