Thread: Apple sells fewer iPhones but revenue and eps break records

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple sells fewer iPhones but revenue and eps break records

ASPs rocket due to iPhone X being the top selling phone every week since November.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Lord Midas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 9700k w/ Corsair H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 8GB x 2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 + 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX 2080 TURBO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" - 3440x1440
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - Speakers: Pair of Adam T5V

Re: Apple sells fewer iPhones but revenue and eps break records

Sell less things, but they are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Surely that's the only way they made money?
    Kickstarters Pledged:
    Godus Stonehearth Rain World Satellite Reign

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Midas View Post
    Sell less things, but they are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Surely that's the only way they made money?
    They are selling less phones,as phones are stagnating more and more. However,this is due to them not wanting to spend more money on putting useful features into the phone,hence,they jack the price up on a cheaply made device. It shows you how cheap the components are in modern "premium" phones.

If they actually spent more money on R and D,more money on the actual BOM for the phones,and pricing them more resonably they would sell more phones,but the fanbois will just keep spending more and more on the cheaply made devices and this is a dig at all of the "premium" phone makers,not just Apple.

I said many years ago,the Chinese companies who sell at a lower margin would start taking business away,since due to the stagnation,it was easier for them to get close enough to offer compelling devices. As time progresses,they will start taking more and more of the "premium" market as they will put more features in for a similar price. This is just the start. Apple,etc need to get off their lazy arses,spend some more money and actually innovate. Look at what happened to companies like Kodak,and Blackberry.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Smartphones are pretty much a mature product - Im not sure where there is much room for innovation. If anything, the revenue stream is more likely to come from applications and services - but even that is limited because raising the cost of either will risk driving sales to the competion - not that there is much - really just Google and Apple now.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Smartphones are pretty much a mature product - Im not sure where there is much room for innovation. If anything, the revenue stream is more likely to come from applications and services - but even that is limited because raising the cost of either will risk driving sales to the competion - not that there is much - really just Google and Apple now.
    There is plenty of room for improvement,and the tech is there,its just bean counters are more worried about sitting on piles of cash than using it.

As I said years ago,Chinese companies will eat away at the lower end more and more and its shown in the actual figures now,and as they start building up their own names,they will start attacking higher end markets and since they wlll probably accept lower margins,probably will start to out innovate the incumbants.

Even when it comes to Chinese SOC development,it was thought of as a joke,but some of them are starting to become serious competition now,especially with the Chinese government trying to push more home grown developments. The thing is companies like Apple and Samsung need to look at history. Kodak,Blackberry and Nokia looked untouchable. They were incredibly trusted by their customers and nobody ever thought anyone could take away business from them. But we have seen this in the technology markets,allegiances customers have are much more fickle than we think.

In fact Apple should know that - look at the 1980s PC market,Apple were running high,until they came crashing to the ground. They really need to stop these bean counter inspired releases and start spending their money and pushing truely revolutionary improvements,otherwise their competitors will catch up and exceed them as they want their sales.

In some ways whatever people thought of Steve Jobs,he was not only a persuasive salesmen,but he was willing to take risks when compared to the competition.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 02-02-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

The only real issue with portable devices is the batteries. I have heard about break through battery technology giving smart watches 6 months battery life rather than hours but it hasn't come to production yet.
    I still wonder if the battery companies and technology companies are boycotting it simply because they will make less money due to selling less units. the main reason I went for the pixel 2 over anyother android phone was due to updates for 3 years and no bloatware. if project treble really does speedup android updates and means companies support phones for longer I may go for a different option next time round. I am happy for pay more for something if it has a benefit but nothing seems to be designed to last anymore. I am intending to purchase business grade networking equipment in the hope it is supported for longer and has fast updates.

Thread Information