• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Final Fantasy XV Benchmark released for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    I got 7928(1080p and high) and then 3507(4k and high) with my 1800x@ stock and gtx 1080.
    10% faster than me!!

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

interesting video from developer saying FFXV, built from ground up for PCs, is a generation ahead of the console versions

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by mtyson View Post
    interesting video from developer saying FFXV, built from ground up for PCs, is a generation ahead of the console versions

It seems to like using tessellation for a lot of effects apparently.

Also,GN has called the benchmark out:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-ben...ameworks-tests

Although we don't believe this to be intentional, the Final Fantasy XV benchmark is among the most misleading we’ve encountered in recent history. This is likely a result of restrictive development timelines and a resistance to delaying product launch and, ultimately, that developers see this as "just" a benchmark. That said, the benchmark is what's used for folks to get an early idea of how their graphics cards will perform in the game. From what we've seen, that's not accurate to reality. Not only does the benchmark lack technology shown in tech demonstrations (we hope these will be added later, like strand deformation), but it is still taking performance hits for graphics settings that fail to materialize as visual fidelity improvements. Much of this stems from GameWorks settings, so we've been in contact with nVidia over these findings for the past few days.

As we discovered after hours of testing the utility, the FFXV benchmark is disingenuous in its execution, rendering load-intensive objects outside the camera frustum and resulting in a lower reported performance metric. We accessed the hexadecimal graphics settings for manual GameWorks setting tuning, made easier by exposing .INI files via a DLL, then later entered noclip mode to dig into some performance anomalies. On our own, we’d discovered that HairWorks toggling (on/off) had performance impact in areas where no hair existed. The only reason this would happen, aside from anomalous bugs or improper use of HairWorks (also likely, and not mutually exclusive), would be if the single hair-endowed creature in the benchmark were drawn at all times.

The benchmark is rendering creatures that use HairWorks even when they’re miles away from the character and the camera. Again, this was made evident while running benchmarks in a zone with no hairworks whatsoever – zero, none – at which point we realized, by accessing the game’s settings files, that disabling HairWorks would still improve performance even when no hairworks objects were on screen. Validation is easy, too: Testing the custom graphics settings file by toggling each setting, we're able to (1) individually confirm when Flow is disabled (the fire effect changes), (2) when Turf is disabled (grass strands become textures or, potentially, particle meshes), (3) when Terrain is enabled (shows tessellation of the ground at the demo start' terrain is pushed down and deformed, while protrusions are pulled up), and (3) when HairWorks is disabled (buffalo hair becomes a planar alpha texture). We're also able to confirm, by testing the default "High," "Standard," and "Low" settings, that the game's default GameWorks configuration is set to the following (High settings):

VXAO: Off
    Shadow libs: Off
    Flow: On
    HairWorks: On
    TerrainTessellation: On
    Turf: On

Benchmarking custom settings matching the above results in identical performance to the benchmark launcher window, validating that these are the stock settings. We must use the custom settings approach, as going between Medium and High offers no settings customization, and also changes multiple settings simultaneously. To isolate whether a performance change is from GameWorks versus view distance and other settings, we must individually test each GameWorks setting from a baseline configuration of "High."
    Square Enix is responsible for the higher-pipeline functions of calling and rendering objects, like the buffalo, and it's not like GameWorks has the ability to reach outside of the world, grab assets, and force them into the game. We would put this squarely on Square Enix, for now, but nVidia does have some responsibility in getting the rest of their GameWorks features fully integrated and working (even if Square is ultimately coding it, nVidia has its name on the product).

What we do know is that the benchmark is unreliable, and we suggest not using it. Wait for our final launch benchmarks. This will take more time to research, but we will keep our eye on it and are in touch with the teams responsible for the game's graphics.

If you need more visual examples, check the accompanying video for this piece.
    Its a very long article,but worth a read.

Edit!!

Here's what's happening: The cows -- buffalo, whatever -- are being rendered at all times during the benchmark. This includes being rendered before trigger events, after trigger events, and even upon conclusion of the benchmark. The best example might be the campsite, when we've had a clear time-of-day change and location change: In the blackest of nights -- and this was hard to find -- the buffalo still roam, miles away and in the pitch black dark of a completed benchmark, still requiring system resources. Square Enix demonstrates functioning occlusion for other objects (rocks, for one), has selectively removed objects until the player meets a trigger (the boathouse), and even has LOD lines drawn. All of this indicates that Square is fully capable of culling unseen objects, or minimizing the LOD, but has failed to do so with the particularly resource-intensive buffalo, one of the only (the only?) objects that use HairWorks in the entire benchmark sequence.

This isn’t an accidental cow. That doesn’t mean it’s a malicious cow, but it seems to be an oversight. That's not the only issue in the whole benchmark, though; GameWorks settings, as we display in the video, rarely show their merits in the benchmark. Turf is among the only visible effects, yet the framerate does fluctuate heavily. We anticipate a bigger change as the game ships. What this means for now, though, is that the benchmark is fully unreliable and unrealistic, failing to represent what the final game will hopefully be. And if it does represent the final game, well, that's another issue entirely.

We found an LOD line drawn along the map, where you can see the transition of detail – so Square Enix has marked this space as being clearly not visible to the player, and yet still – way beyond the boundaries of this line, miles away – we see the cows in full detail. There are also examples of culling present in the game, there are examples of selective removal of unseen objects, there are examples of LOD scaling, and instances of triggered object spawning and despawning.
    LMAO.

Looks like the real game should be easier to run I suspect!

Please,pretty,please don't do this to Metro:Exodus,and make it better optimised!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-02-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

The full game will be easier to run or the full game will still render everything regardless of whether its in the scene or not?

This is Square Enix, the company that seems to have forgotten the gamers that have purchased millions of titles from them and have turned most of their resources to mobile gaming.....I am half expecting this to be a technical mess.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    The full game will be easier to run or the full game will still render everything regardless of whether its in the scene or not?

This is Square Enix, the company that seems to have forgotten the gamers that have purchased millions of titles from them and have turned most of their resources to mobile gaming.....I am half expecting this to be a technical mess.
    Something weird is going on - there are lines which are in the game which denotes culling,but a lot of stuff is not culled,and the Hairworks cows are not even in the frame,yet is the biggest drop in performance for any companies cards.

In the video,Steve from GN basically says that with Hairworks on,you see no difference as you don't see the cows,yet the performance is kibbled,so he basically suggests you might as well switch off most of these settings since it only drops performance and seems to not really add much to the game.

I am actually more worried about Metro:Exodus TBH. I really hope that does not have that level of crap in it.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    10% faster than me!!
    I think I'm the fastest on hexus so far
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

In the video,Steve from GN basically says that with Hairworks on,you see no difference as you don't see the cows,yet the performance is kibbled,so he basically suggests you might as well switch off most of these settings since it only drops performance and seems to not really add much to the game.
    Assuming you *can* turn them off. Customizable presets or death..

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    I think I'm the fastest on hexus so far
    A fine victory!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Assuming you *can* turn them off. Customizable presets or death..
    Well AMD has not released official drivers yet,but honestly I am getting sick and tired of poorly optimised PC games now.

Its becoming more and more apparent as the whole sub £300 area has just massively stagnated for the last 4 years and on top of this mining,and RAM cartels have screwed over the ambitions of gamers wanting a decent value rig.

9. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (05-02-2018)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mapesdhs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock P55 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 870 @ 4270MHz (203.3 x 21)
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2) DDR3/2030
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Vertex2 + 1TB SATA (Spinpoint F3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 460 1GB FTW SLI
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7/U/64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" LP2475W
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit

This benchmark is bogus, check the info on Gamers Nexus about Hairworks, etc.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Was interesting to watch the graphs on Task Manager on the second monitor, CPU looks fine but GPU maxxed right out.

No 1440p setting, will have to try the 4K slideshow
    What was even more interesting when I ran the "high" setting, was my gpu was running at 100% load... but intermittently was dropping back to 300/150 instead of running at 1000/1260 (non-overclocked R9 290). Didn't see that running lite or standard. Ran perceptibly better on standard than on lite.

Also, I don't think the benchmark is 100% accurate for consistency for single runs, the fight scene isn't the same with each run.

Anyway, for an old system with zero overlock it didn't run as badly as I expected it too...

https://imgur.com/a/8Vl57

Also,GN has called the benchmark out:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-ben...ameworks-tests
    Well, that cow.... seems like a sneaky nVidia thing to pull.... *remembers Batman....*
    Last edited by Iota; 07-02-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information