Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Lake CPUs stable on modded 100, 200 series chipsets

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Coffee Lake CPUs stable on modded 100, 200 series chipsets

So far only the Intel Core i3-8100 has been verified as "completely working".
    Read more.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Coffee Lake CPUs stable on modded 100, 200 series chipsets

The Core i3 8350K worked in December:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/twe...)-working.html

Even in October last year,Asus said the Z270 should work with CFL.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

You mean Intel could have maintained out of the box backward compatibility all along and their excuses are full of crap? Imagine my shock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • w1ntergr33n's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 PRO
      • CPU:
      • 2500K @ 4.8GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 64GB C300 SSD 2 x 500GB Mechanical
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 670 Windforce
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 550W Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Black
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64 Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • 50 Mbps

This kind of BS is a large part of why am probably going with AMD for next build

Thanks

Really not surprised...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    You mean Intel could have maintained out of the box backward compatibility all along and their excuses are full of crap? Imagine my shock!
    I suspect it also has something to do with motherboard makers not wanting to have to work on BIOS upgrades for hundreds of basic motherboards and suffer the support load of customers who didn't check CPU compatibility before buying a CL CPU and a motherboard that doesn't actually support it because the microcode is missing from the BIOS.

AMD have been sending out free CPUs so people can flash the BIOS of older motherboards to support new CPUs, sure it's great customer service but it's hardly an ideal solution either.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    I suspect it also has something to do with motherboard makers not wanting to have to work on BIOS upgrades for hundreds of basic motherboards and suffer the support load of customers who didn't check CPU compatibility before buying a CL CPU and a motherboard that doesn't actually support it because the microcode is missing from the BIOS.
    What does that have to do with Intel explicitly making backwards compatibility a non-option? They have more than enough clout and userbase to make it worthwhile for motherboard manufacturers. And it certainly doesn't explain making Z370 boards incompatible with previous generation CPUs, that's a vastly simpler support proposition. It's fairly clear their only interest is abusing their monopoly position to force the sale of a CPU and chipset pairing for each generation of product, they've been doing it for many many years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

What does that have to do with Intel explicitly making backwards compatibility a non-option? They have more than enough clout and userbase to make it worthwhile for motherboard manufacturers. And it certainly doesn't explain making Z370 boards incompatible with previous generation CPUs, that's a vastly simpler support proposition. It's fairly clear their only interest is abusing their monopoly position to force the sale of a CPU and chipset pairing for each generation of product, they've been doing it for many many years now.
    Yep,I don't see a problem of releasing a new chipset each generation if it helps with the process of a launch,ie,board compatability,but at the same time it shouldn't be at the detriment of not at least allowing BIOS updates to allow older chipsets to work with newer CPUs at some point!!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Intel and their board partners will actually have conversations, the motherboard makers don't go down the local Quick-E-Mart to buy the chips they use - its conceivable they might have discussed and agreed upon this lack of backward compatibility because they have a mutual interest.

Mutual interest being that it's a LOT less testing, validation and BIOS version updates if CPU generation and chipset generation are a 1:1 mapping.

Supporting that kind of backwards compatibility only benefits the very tiny % of computers users who will ever upgrade their CPU without upgrading the motherboard at the same time, it's just not worth the hassle for Intel or the motherboard makers.

Also I suspect that if backwards compatibility was allowed and it wasn't quite stable then people would be moaning along the lines of "don't they test this, I can't believe Intel didn't ensure it works with old chipset, I'm so angry..." etc.

Thanks

Intel and their board partners will actually have conversations, the motherboard makers don't go down the local Quick-E-Mart to buy the chips they use - its conceivable they might have discussed and agreed upon this lack of backward compatibility because they have a mutual interest.

Mutual interest being that it's a LOT less testing, validation and BIOS version updates if CPU generation and chipset generation are a 1:1 mapping.

Supporting that kind of backwards compatibility only benefits the very tiny % of computers users who will ever upgrade their CPU without upgrading the motherboard at the same time, it's just not worth the hassle for Intel or the motherboard makers.

Also I suspect that if backwards compatibility was allowed and it wasn't quite stable then people would be moaning along the lines of "don't they test this, I can't believe Intel didn't ensure it works with old chipset, I'm so angry..." etc.
    That's chicken and egg thinking isn't it? The reason they don't allow people to only upgrade their cpu is because people always upgrade both because they don't allow people to upgrade only their cpu because...

Support is a problem of course, but it's a problem customers pay them to fix. It's not like they only bring out new cpus when new ram or pci versions come out is it? I think AMD have offered long term use of AM4 is because there actually is demand for it.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

But you've got to design a whole new raft of motherboards that is a lot more work than updating a BIOs surely? You've still got to test your new motherboard against the new CPUs...

12. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (05-03-2018)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EN1R0PY View Post
    That's chicken and egg thinking isn't it? The reason they don't allow people to only upgrade their cpu is because people always upgrade both because they don't allow people to upgrade only their cpu because...

Support is a problem of course, but it's a problem customers pay them to fix. It's not like they only bring out new cpus when new ram or pci versions come out is it? I think AMD have offered long term use of AM4 is because there actually is demand for it.
    AMD probably have a higher % of sales to enthusiast and self-builders and they've also been operating at the budget end a lot over the last decade where they might be more incentive to boost sales by offering the compatibility. Plus they seem a lot more interested in gaining any edge they can from good PR over this sort of thing.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    But you've got to design a whole new raft of motherboards that is a lot more work than updating a BIOs surely? You've still got to test your new motherboard against the new CPUs...
    They would launch new motherboards with the new CPUs anyway, to add additional features and allow the box shifters (i.e. Dell, HP) to add other incremental features to their new systems alongside the CPU upgrade. Ironically I think most of the motherboard designs are basically the same but with the new chip dropped in place of the old one and the model number incremented to match...

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not meaning to defend Intel or motherboard makers, I can just see why they don't do backwards compatibility and I don't really expect anything more of them. The market for upgradeable form factors is shrinking so the incentive to make it work is only diminishing, it's a testing hassle and it probably just swaps one lot of bad PR for another lot of bad PR around instability. The market is moving increasingly towards tightly integrated, glued together, soldered down form factors; hardly anyone upgrades their CPU anymore.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Simple solution - state that compatibility and stability are only guaranteed between chipset X and CPU series Y but that some basic testing for functionality has been done with chipsets A, B and C and that you use them together with CPU series Y entirely at your own risk. This for me as an upgrader on a budget says I can try it, it'll probably work and I MAY be able to keep my money for a new mobo but that I should budget for a new one just in case. This would make me way more likely to consider upgrading what I've got and buy a new CPU (especially as the internet means some early adopter information on stability will be spread very quickly) whereas at the moment I have zero motivation to do so because it's outside my budget.

The only downside here is that sockets will have to remain the same and so Intel would have to get a little clearer in their product line descriptions....

16. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (05-03-2018)

Thanks

"Modding doesn't seem to be a very complicated procedure but obviously such jiggery pokery could be bad for hardware warranties, or worse, so please proceed with caution."

So could overclocking your Intel K series processor....

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

There's no real architecture changes, just more cores, so there's isn't much excuse for instability issues (if this was manufacturer-supported)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information