Thread: New privacy settings coming to Windows 10 get previewed

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

New privacy settings coming to Windows 10 get previewed

Windows Insiders started to see the improvements roll out a few hours ago.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ironbuket's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AMD X470 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) T-Force Dark Pro
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 970EVO M.2, 1TB 850EVO + many others
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet Straight Power 750W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai W240D v2 + Dell (both @1920x1200)
      • Internet:
      • Zen

Re: New privacy settings coming to Windows 10 get previewed

Due to M$'s business model, any forced decrease in data gathering will just be offset by an increase in shoving unwanted revenue generating software and adverts on to the users?
    2700X,X470 Taichi,Silverstone Fortress 2,16GB RAM, SSDx3, HDDx4,GTX970 G1 Gaming,24"x2(1xIPS,1xTFT),W10x64Pro
    HTPC: AthlonX2 5050e,M4A78-EM,AntecFusion,8GB RAM,ATi3200,32"Sony TV,W7x64Pre

Thanks
    • deepblue08's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K @ 4.2 + Noctua D15
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB @ 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Internet:
      • DSL 50D/10U

Actually, that's more of a $oo$gle model which makes 80% of their profits from ads and selling data collected for ad purposes. MS makes about 5% of their revenue from ads, so I would not stretch that idea that far.

Thanks
    • Ironbuket's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AMD X470 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) T-Force Dark Pro
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 970EVO M.2, 1TB 850EVO + many others
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet Straight Power 750W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai W240D v2 + Dell (both @1920x1200)
      • Internet:
      • Zen

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue08 View Post
    Actually, that's more of a $oo$gle model which makes 80% of their profits from ads and selling data collected for ad purposes. MS makes about 5% of their revenue from ads, so I would not stretch that idea that far.
    So what percentage of M$ profits are earned by stealing peoples data?

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbuket View Post
    So what percentage of M$ profits are earned by stealing peoples data?
    Technically speaking, none. You give consent as part of the install/upgrade process so they haven't stolen anything.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Technically speaking, none. You give consent as part of the install/upgrade process so they haven't stolen anything.
    By that logic, a conman that duped a little old lady out of her life's savings for unecessary roof repairs hasn't done anything either, because she gave consent.

Did Windows users truly give informed consent? Did most users genuinely understand the methods of data collection, the nature and extent of data collected and the uses to which it may be put? Or did they simply install an operating system, or buy a PC with it already on, and fail to read or understand, the pages of legalese?

If "acceptance" was a clear, plain English (or other native language) explanation of what's bring accepted, together with a genuine choice, then fair enough. In other words, if MS were given a genuinely informed consent to use data, perhaps in exchange for a discount, then fine. But their current 'consent' is about as genuine and informed as that given to the old lady by the conman. Moreover, in my opinion, the mindset MS exhibited in gaining this supposed consent, until forced to change by imminent legal changes, was about the same as the conman's mindset.

Personally, I'd rather pay full retail for an OS that isn't snooping on me, that have a "free" one that is.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    By that logic, a conman that duped a little old lady out of her life's savings for unecessary roof repairs hasn't done anything either, because she gave consent.

Did Windows users truly give informed consent? Did most users genuinely understand the methods of data collection, the nature and extent of data collected and the uses to which it may be put? Or did they simply install an operating system, or buy a PC with it already on, and fail to read or understand, the pages of legalese?

If "acceptance" was a clear, plain English (or other native language) explanation of what's bring accepted, together with a genuine choice, then fair enough. In other words, if MS were given a genuinely informed consent to use data, perhaps in exchange for a discount, then fine. But their current 'consent' is about as genuine and informed as that given to the old lady by the conman. Moreover, in my opinion, the mindset MS exhibited in gaining this supposed consent, until forced to change by imminent legal changes, was about the same as the conman's mindset.

Personally, I'd rather pay full retail for an OS that isn't snooping on me, that have a "free" one that is.
    Informed consent, I'd guess not. I'm looking forward to GDPR as MS and a few others (I'm looking at you Google,) could be in for some fun.

I agree with you on paid vs. free with snooping too. But even if the wording around consent was clear as day MS are not obliged to make it a discount, they can make it a take it or don't use the software deal. I'd not take it, but then my experiment with Ubuntu (initial driver gremlins aside,) is going well and I have copies of Win 7 & 8.1 that I can use for the old games (and it is virtually just games that aren't available,) that won't play nice elsewhere. I suspect the average Joe will give up their data though.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Informed consent, I'd guess not. I'm looking forward to GDPR as MS and a few others (I'm looking at you Google,) could be in for some fun.

I agree with you on paid vs. free with snooping too. But even if the wording around consent was clear as day MS are not obliged to make it a discount, they can make it a take it or don't use the software deal. I'd not take it, but then my experiment with Ubuntu (initial driver gremlins aside,) is going well and I have copies of Win 7 & 8.1 that I can use for the old games (and it is virtually just games that aren't available,) that won't play nice elsewhere. I suspect the average Joe will give up their data though.
    The discount idea is entirely up to them, but the logic is .... a user's data has value, they want that data then it's not unreasonable to pay the user for it. Rather like store loyalty cards do/did.

What I, personally, really expect is a genuine choice of allowing data snoooping or not, and if not, a quick, simple, easy and permanent (unless the user changes the setting) way to utterly disably it in ALL forms. If that means some functions (like Cortana) don't / can't work, so be it. Turn 'em off.

That said, personally, no way am I using Win10 anyway, and while this is a major reason why not, it's certainly not the only one.

Thread Information