Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Piracy is "more popular than ever" suggests report

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Piracy is "more popular than ever" suggests report

Tracking company MUSO recorded >300bn copyright infringing site visits in 2017.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Piracy is "more popular than ever" suggests report

MUSO's CEO reckons that content industries should consider the trends seen in its data and act to monetise the vast audience that still feels paid-for-options aren't good enough.
    Or that the content they're actually asking money for isn't worth the paper it's printed on to begin with.... !!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Well, once big corporations like Sky started to make people pay for content they don't want to watch, to cover the costs of silly license deals.....and then shows and sport got fragmented so that you need to subscribe to multiple premium sites......all against the backdrop of austerity.....piracy went up? Who'd have thunk it?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

4. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (26-03-2018),Jonj1611 (26-03-2018),MaddAussie (16-04-2018)

Thanks

I would have thought it difficult to get accurate stats for file sharing what with VPNs, proxies, people using lesser know sites, and probably a whole host of other things.

6. Received thanks from:

MLyons (27-03-2018)

Thanks

What a shocking report...a company that was founded to track piracy and as such makes it's money by tracking said piracy says piracy is even more popular...

The odds of piracy going down is pretty slim in all honesty until the media companies come to the realisation that people don't like drm, geo blocking (netflix for example has tonnes more stuff we can't see in the UK but can in the US), delays depending on where you are in the world (ie being shown a day plus later so twitter etc has ruined it for us), time restrictions on how long it's available for or streaming service exclusivity so we need to sign up, sometimes to multiple services, just to get access to that 'one show' we want to watch.

And maybe it's me but I kind of prefer to 'own' stuff rather than pay to be allowed to access a stream of something that can be removed at any moment in time if the streaming service doesn't want to keep paying to show it.

8. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (26-03-2018),D-T (06-04-2018),Jonj1611 (26-03-2018)

Thanks

Doesn't take into account android streaming boxes. Nearly everyone techy I know has one these days
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 super
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    What a shocking report...a company that was founded to track piracy and as such makes it's money by tracking said piracy says piracy is even more popular...

The odds of piracy going down is pretty slim in all honesty until the media companies come to the realisation that people don't like drm, geo blocking (netflix for example has tonnes more stuff we can't see in the UK but can in the US), delays depending on where you are in the world (ie being shown a day plus later so twitter etc has ruined it for us), time restrictions on how long it's available for or streaming service exclusivity so we need to sign up, sometimes to multiple services, just to get access to that 'one show' we want to watch.

And maybe it's me but I kind of prefer to 'own' stuff rather than pay to be allowed to access a stream of something that can be removed at any moment in time if the streaming service doesn't want to keep paying to show it.
    You can thank sky for the netflix and other content geo restrictions due to there current uk deals in place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob4001 View Post
    You can thank sky for the netflix and other content geo restrictions due to there current uk deals in place.
    Yeah but even sky can have a delay of a day on stuff shown via satellite let alone streaming.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I appreciate this majors on TV, but how many of those visits to pirate sites are people who own games/software suddenly finding they can't install them on win10 due to lack of safedisc and secdrv drivers etc, and looking for a way to be able to play the games/run the software they own? I'd be kicking myself if I was one of those folk who traded in their win7 licence just to find a glut of their software is neutered, and the modern versions are annual rolling subscriptions only. Cheeky. Very cheeky.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

It's a shame that whenever this sort of story comes out (or piracy in general I guess) so many people blame the content creators for charging too much or for geo-fencing content, rather than themselves for breaking the law and depriving the content creators of their income (which itself drives higher prices and obstructions to purchase like DRM). It ends up being a vicious circle which ultimatley just pushes the prices up and up.

No one blames a shop for setting their prices too high when someone steals a physical item from that shop, so why is it different with digital piracy? Granted it's not technically theft as you are only depriving the content creator of money for the potential purchase, rather than a physical item..but it's an equivalent crime imo (especially given how with most physical theft insurance covers the loss anyway - not so with digital). Piracy does hurt real people too and directly takes money away from developers who often rely on their game sales (for example) to live.

With so many cheap ways to consume digital content now there isn't *any* excuse for piracy. It's sad that our society has normalised it so much and that it's pretty much become accepted these days

14. Received thanks from:

peterb (26-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I appreciate this majors on TV, but how many of those visits to pirate sites are people who own games/software suddenly finding they can't install them on win10 due to lack of safedisc and secdrv drivers etc, and looking for a way to be able to play the games/run the software they own? I'd be kicking myself if I was one of those folk who traded in their win7 licence just to find a glut of their software is neutered, and the modern versions are annual rolling subscriptions only. Cheeky. Very cheeky.
    I've not done this with windows 10, hardly other with games now, but I have cracked a game in the past purely because it needed the disc in the drive every time I wanted to play it just to check for the drm. I'd bought the game and I just couldn't be bothered with sticking the disc in EVERY time I wanted to play it so off I went and got a crack. Now technically I'd fall under the 'piracy' numbers some would likely be accounting for but I'm not actually pirating anything, I was just removing the drm lol. Funnily enough once the crack was applied it ran a bit smoother too...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    ...so many people blame the content creators for charging too much or for geo-fencing content
    But... They do do that. If you have no 'legal' option, the only other options are a) piracy, or b) do without. Sure you could do without, but if they're not even in the market to take your money off your hands, where's the actual ethical dilemma? There is none.

No one blames a shop for setting their prices too high when someone steals a physical item from that shop
    Sure. But since piracy isn't theft, that isn't a valid analogy.

Piracy does hurt real people too and directly takes money away from developers
    Yes, pirates are literally reaching into developers pockets and taking their money away from them. /s

And frankly, content creators just have to recognise the fact that the internet does exists, and that they do have to compete with free unfettered access to their content. They're just not doing it. They still think and act like it's still the good old CD/DVD/dial-up/Blockbuster/Xtra-vision era, and they do have to take responsibility for that failure to adapt to changing consumer demands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I know we will never agree aidanjt we've had the exact same debate numerous times in the past 13 years I won't get back into it tonight Each to their own but I strongly disagree with each of your points of course

Thanks

It's a shame that whenever this sort of story comes out (or piracy in general I guess) so many people blame the content creators for charging too much or for geo-fencing content, rather than themselves for breaking the law and depriving the content creators of their income (which itself drives higher prices and obstructions to purchase like DRM). It ends up being a vicious circle which ultimatley just pushes the prices up and up.
    Considering that one of the most common reasons people pirate is lack of availability in their country (ie geo-locking or geo-fencing) it's a valid reason imo. With the internet there is no region anymore, the media companies are still hanging onto an antiquated business model based around the idea that it takes months for people from say America to discuss stuff with people in the UK where it is now a few seconds.

I can give a perfect example of geo-locking a show, on crunchyroll they simulcast anime but there are some they advertise that I can't watch because it is not available in my region yet if I was in a different region I could watch it. So I've paid for access to their catalogue of shows yet I'm being artificially restricted due to the geo-locking of a show, often with no other option available to watch it either. It's not like it's coming from a different server if you're in a different country or anything.

You also have companies like disney, buying up stuff, like marvel or star wars, for their own (unnecessary) online subscription service and then removing them from existing services just so they get 'a larger slice' of the pie...which is then geo-locked to the US, so no one else can even access it...

It's also fine saying that there are many cheap ways to consume digital content but it soon adds up when you need to have multiple subscriptions just to access everything you want to watch, pretty sure I read somewhere it was about £80 a month if you wanted all the major media services allowing access to all their exclusives..

Now don't get me wrong, I work in a media industry (design) so fully understand about copyright and all the people etc behind the scene but at the same time I can also see that the media companies are severely out of touch with what the viewer wants.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I see the problem with the likes of Sky is they buy programmes/sports to be able to charge customers, they then use money from customers to buy more programmes/sports and then up the prices, then use the money to buy more programmes/sports.

In short things which could have been shown and terrestrial TV and paid for with adverts etc have been outbid and put behind a pay wall, do I want to give any money to said company so they can use it to take more content from me?

I will say most of my media consumption is legit (0% piracy on movies or games), but I am not paying for sky to watch literally one show currently.

Thanks
    • Shane74's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • 5960X 4.0ghz OC
      • Memory:
      • 32GB G Skill DDR 4 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 Pro 1TB (main) 2x4TB Western Digital Greens
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus ROG Strix Advanced 2080TI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (black)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG279Q(daily/gamer) Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Samsung UD590 4k
      • Internet:
      • 100Mbit cable

All content needs to be readily available on ALL platforms, There is half your problem solved!
    Licensing deals are BS, No one wants to have to subscribe to half a dozen different companies just to watch their favorite shows.
    If you are already paying $120 a month for cable tv you kind of expect to get every damn channel and tv show/movie, Shouldn't have to also subscribe to Netflix,Amazon,Stan and others just because there is that one show not on the other platform.
    Before you know it you are spending hundreds a month just so you can watch what should be on any one of them.
    About to ditch $120 a month Foxtel platinum here in Australia, Has become complete BS.
    Nothing but adverts and repeats, new release rental movies on there have gone up as well, They dumped a few of everyone's favorite channels such as World movies, Now its just a select few movies off it.
    One of the reasons I got off free to air and went for pay(cable) tv over 15 years ago was to get rid of the damn ads. Now it's no different than free to air, 5 minutes of show then 5 minutes of ads.
    Better off just upgrading your home theater set up, Wait a few years until the shows are over and no one cares, Then buy them on sale on blu ray.
    Get past the impatience of needing to have something or watch something now then you can have your shows for nearly nothing anyway!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information