Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 26

Thread: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,403
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,693 times in 587 posts

    Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Updates official guidance with these 'stopped' status security flawed processors.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Intel at its best.

    "Oh, these are old so we do not even care... Keep on buying the newer ones and you'll be completely protected... Maybe..."

    As Brian Fantana put it: "They have done studies you know? 60% of the time it works every time".

  3. #3
    Super Nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Those are some pretty old CPUs, there aren't going to be many still running in systems that are relevant to attack with Spectre/Meltdown. Given that they are already so old how many of the remaining users are going to want the slowdown effect of the fixes, even assuming the fix can be applied.

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • Fury559's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k 4.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB 1866mhz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA P2 1000w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • XF270HU

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    I'm upgrading in a fortnight to a 1700x from 3570k, I was waiting for Icelake with 8c/16t but Intel not fixing old mistakes fast makes me want to say screw them with bad TIM and support, maybe I'll go back to Intel in the future.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    645
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked
    65 times in 44 posts
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPU:
      • 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 32GB (8 x 4GB) @ Stock
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SanDisk Extreme II SSD, 960GB ADATA 8200 M.2, 960GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 295X2 OC @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" ASUS PB287Q 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VM @ 350/20

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    As per usual though, it's nice that Intel has gone back over CPUs that are 9 years + old but the issue is the mobo manufactures. How many of these microcode patches are actually going to make it to bios updates for older platforms?

    Intel has fixed the microcode for my CPUs but there is zero intention from ASUS to release a BIOS update with it in for my Z9 series motherboard. The series is not even marked as a TBD on their list.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Wolfdale Xeon, Yorkfield? who here is still using these? and do not bother telling me lots of people or companies are in their servers, I am aware, I dont need education. all i am asking is for honesty, because i am curious, who here is still using 10 year old hardware? thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,336
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked
    279 times in 196 posts

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    You could always modify the BIOS file yourself, there's quiet a few guides out there if you're brave enough.

  8. #8
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,733
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    672 times in 507 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    As per usual though, it's nice that Intel has gone back over CPUs that are 9 years + old but the issue is the mobo manufactures. How many of these microcode patches are actually going to make it to bios updates for older platforms?

    Intel has fixed the microcode for my CPUs but there is zero intention from ASUS to release a BIOS update with it in for my Z9 series motherboard. The series is not even marked as a TBD on their list.
    I was raising this yesterday when it was fresh news and someone helpfully pointed out to me that the microcode can be applied by the OS during startup, and MS does appear to be doing this, so while not as good as a BIOS update from the MOBO manufacturer, it is not leaving you up the creek. Z9 series - what's that, Ivy Bridge? Hasn't that already had its patch released?

  9. Received thanks from:

    Kanoe (04-04-2018)

  10. #9
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,733
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    672 times in 507 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by ETR316 View Post
    Wolfdale Xeon, Yorkfield? who here is still using these? and do not bother telling me lots of people or companies are in their servers, I am aware, I dont need education. all i am asking is for honesty, because i am curious, who here is still using 10 year old hardware? thanks
    I'm still using Lynnfield/Clarkdale on win7, an old core2duo Dell and even a P4 s478 - though the latter two XP machines rarely see the internet so not as fussed about those. Very relieved Lynnfield got a patch.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    99 times in 63 posts

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    You could always modify the BIOS file yourself, there's quiet a few guides out there if you're brave enough.
    I do hope you're kidding...

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    645
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked
    65 times in 44 posts
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPU:
      • 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 32GB (8 x 4GB) @ Stock
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SanDisk Extreme II SSD, 960GB ADATA 8200 M.2, 960GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 295X2 OC @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" ASUS PB287Q 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VM @ 350/20

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I was raising this yesterday when it was fresh news and someone helpfully pointed out to me that the microcode can be applied by the OS during startup, and MS does appear to be doing this, so while not as good as a BIOS update from the MOBO manufacturer, it is not leaving you up the creek. Z9 series - what's that, Ivy Bridge? Hasn't that already had its patch released?
    That's good to know, now got to wait for M$ to release a patch and hope they do a version that supports pre Fall Update (1709) versions of Win 10 cause for whatever reason I just cannot get the Fall Update to work on my PC.

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,336
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked
    279 times in 196 posts

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I do hope you're kidding...
    Why would i be kidding, this is a technology forum isn't it? Extracting a BIOS file, replacing one or more files, and re-packaging them isn't much different than working with any other compressed file format, the hardest part is checking compatibility. (Having said that it's not something I'd recommend to someone whose not familiar with the CLI, backing up and recovering BIOS'.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where you are not
    Posts
    379
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked
    32 times in 26 posts
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-P67A-UD5-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x BL2KIT25664FN2139
      • Storage:
      • 4 x CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 (Raid 0)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 290 DC-2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-X500B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Samsung 22" widescreen P2270 2ms DVI HD LCD TFT Ecofit
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    someone helpfully pointed out to me that the microcode can be applied by the OS during startup, and MS does appear to be doing this, so while not as good as a BIOS update from the MOBO manufacturer, it is not leaving you up the creek.
    Sadly it hasn't occurred for Sandy Bridge or other systems yet, and it doesn't look like Gigabyte are going to produce a new BIOS for my old (but still quite good) motherboard. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but looking at the support occurring it's likely I'll go with ASUS as my next motherboard, regardless of Intel or AMD.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    99 times in 63 posts

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Why would i be kidding, this is a technology forum isn't it? Extracting a BIOS file, replacing one or more files, and re-packaging them isn't much different than working with any other compressed file format, the hardest part is checking compatibility. (Having said that it's not something I'd recommend to someone whose not familiar with the CLI, backing up and recovering BIOS'.
    This is a technical forum but this is only a minor subset of the greater user base. But saying "why don't you just modify the BIOS yourself, there's loads of guides" on a technical forum is like someone on a motoring forum saying "it's fine, why don't you just upgrade the spark plugs yourself, there's loads of guides".

    Plus, validating Intel just deciding to drop the development of these microcode fixes to spectre-2 on their older platforms where there is still a reasonably large user base still on them and 'they should do it themselves' is a bit naff. Sure they're out of support but it's Intels responsibility to fix their problem.
    Last edited by Tabbykatze; 04-04-2018 at 09:55 PM.

  16. #15
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,733
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    672 times in 507 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    This is a technical forum but this is only a minor subset of the greater user base. But saying "why don't you just modify the BIOS yourself, there's loads of guides" on a technical forum is like someone on a motoring forum saying "it's fine, why don't you just upgrade the spark plugs yourself, there's loads of guides".

    Plus, validating Intel just deciding to drop the development of these microcode fixes to spectre-2 on their older platforms where there is still a reasonably large user base still on them and 'they should do it themselves' is a bit naff. Sure they're out of support but it's Intels responsibility to fix their problem.
    Not sure if I've misunderstood but I read their post differently - ie saying that applying the microcode from intel into the BIOS is doable as a DIY (albeit complicated - and it does seem a bit complicated, though not totally impossible, SFAIK from when I've been looking into it) rather than develop your own microcode fix which would be crazy, and less like "upgrade the spark plugs", and more "reprogram your engine management unit with your own custom firmware".

  17. Received thanks from:

    Corky34 (05-04-2018)

  18. #16
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,733
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    672 times in 507 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Intel halts microcode patch development for 230+ CPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Sadly it hasn't occurred for Sandy Bridge or other systems yet, and it doesn't look like Gigabyte are going to produce a new BIOS for my old (but still quite good) motherboard. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but looking at the support occurring it's likely I'll go with ASUS as my next motherboard, regardless of Intel or AMD.
    I have the same problem with ASUS, and their tech support is renowned as being worse than Gigabyte's. Plus they misadvertised the capability of my motherboard and duped me into buying something that doesn't meet the spec I bought it for. Cunning little blighters. So my next mobo will NOT be Asus if i can help it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •