Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    26,935
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,661 times in 577 posts

    AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    Clock tuning, and likely silicon binning, brings these APU TDPs down from 65W to 35W.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked
    71 times in 44 posts

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    It's a shame it's not with HBM like the Intel APUs, that would have been quite cool!

  3. #3
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,686
    Thanks
    1,155
    Thanked
    2,145 times in 1,777 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    It's a shame it's not with HBM like the Intel APUs, that would have been quite cool!
    The Intel Kaby-G processors aren't APUs. They have a stack of HBM because they include a genuine dGPU - provided by AMD - that's connected to the CPU by a normal PCIe link. It's just all stuck on a single package to save space. Plus, they have TDPs in the 65W - 100W range, not 35W. It's a real apples to oranges comparison....

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked
    71 times in 44 posts

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    The Intel Kaby-G processors aren't APUs. They have a stack of HBM because they include a genuine dGPU - provided by AMD - that's connected to the CPU by a normal PCIe link. It's just all stuck on a single package to save space. Plus, they have TDPs in the 65W - 100W range, not 35W. It's a real apples to oranges comparison....
    I know it's not quite an official APU because the GPU and CPU aren't on the same die but they are on the same substrate and are therefore packaged the same.

    It's kind've like saying a bicycle is a vehicle, it's not because it's a bike but by definition it has wheels and drives on a road so therefore it is a vehicle yet it's not (by UK law, a Bicycle is a vehicle (for clarification)).

    It's an APU in some ways, not in others.

  5. #5
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,571
    Thanks
    379
    Thanked
    842 times in 718 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 660GB Linux, 500GB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 24 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    It's an APU in some ways, not in others.
    The GPU and CPU don't share the same memory which makes shared compute more complicated, which I think was one of the original ideas of an APU.

  6. Received thanks from:

    Iota (23-04-2018)

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MOMBASA
    Posts
    774
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    19 times in 18 posts

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    Main reason why AMD has not come with a HBM2 APU is that these chips will be used on laptop manufacturers who do specialized designs, its upto those OEMs to request AMD to do such a design. If you have noticed the PS4 was the first X86 machine to come with GDDR5 as main memory and to AMD it will not be an issue to plug HBM as main memory on any other design (they showed slide shows 3 years ago that they can!). So demand for it is the problem for AMD not the intellectual capabilities of their engineers.

  8. #7
    Comrade Moose CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    27,373
    Thanks
    3,003
    Thanked
    4,186 times in 3,242 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    I wonder how these with compare with the normal 65W TDP APUs but configured to a lower cTDP??


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  9. #8
    Senior Member Xlucine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,303
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked
    91 times in 78 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @stock
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX100 512GB, 2TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 150 mb fibre

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    No included cooler is a shame, the wraith stealth would be very well matched to these. It's only ~60mm high too, so would fit in a fair few compact cases

  10. #9
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,686
    Thanks
    1,155
    Thanked
    2,145 times in 1,777 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    ... It's kind've like saying a bicycle is a vehicle, it's not because it's a bike but by definition it has wheels and drives on a road so therefore it is a vehicle yet it's not (by UK law, a Bicycle is a vehicle (for clarification)). ...
    That's a really odd argument, given that a bicycle *IS* a vehicle (per dictionary.com: vehicle (n): any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport).

    AMD coined and defined the term APU. Intel's never used it; they've always called their processors CPUs, even the ones with integrated graphics. AMD have only ever used the phrase to described a single die providing both CPU and GPU functionality.

    The way you're choosing to use the term is nothing like the original intent or commonly understood meaning. Which is up to you, I guess, but personally I'm going to stick to the common usage.

  11. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (23-04-2018)

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked
    71 times in 44 posts

    Re: AMD adds energy-efficient Ryzen 3 2200GE, Ryzen 5 2400GE APUs

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The GPU and CPU don't share the same memory which makes shared compute more complicated, which I think was one of the original ideas of an APU.
    That's fair enough, I guess i'm a bit broad with my term there as to me anything that is bonded to the same substrate is combined and is "APU-like"

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    That's a really odd argument, given that a bicycle *IS* a vehicle (per dictionary.com: vehicle (n): any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport).

    AMD coined and defined the term APU. Intel's never used it; they've always called their processors CPUs, even the ones with integrated graphics. AMD have only ever used the phrase to described a single die providing both CPU and GPU functionality.

    The way you're choosing to use the term is nothing like the original intent or commonly understood meaning. Which is up to you, I guess, but personally I'm going to stick to the common usage.
    I guess I did have quite a broad description of the APU and a lot of people don't classify Bicycles as Vehicles and don't understand they need to abide by road law because of it and that's why I used that example (as clarified in my post, I do classify it as a vehicle). If intel coin a term AMD created for public consumption, that'll be the day...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •