Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 with 3GB on the way, say reports

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 with 3GB on the way, say reports

Meanwhile Nvidia is boasting about large supplies of GTX 10-Series GPUs arriving.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 with 3GB on the way, say reports

So going from 4 0.5GB chips to 3 1GB chips? Higher numbers are better, but the cut to bandwidth isn't worth it IMO - unless nvidia have managed to source some faster chips to make up for it, I expect this to be slower than the 2GB 1050

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I guess at current RAM prices every GB you can shave off helps the price, but at the expense of making the ram narrower? I have to wonder if that is going to be any better than a 2GB card in performance.

Nice of them to save the world with their large shipment of graphics cards, but *cough*GPP*cough*, they aren't the messiah they are just very naughty boys.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Will the ram be ddr4 or actually gddr5?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

I'm expecting another GTX 970 debacle with faster and slower memory. Although the 1050 probably is so slow to begin with that it won't matter as much.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    So going from 4 0.5GB chips to 3 1GB chips? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    ... at the expense of making the ram narrower? ...
    My reading of the story is that it's not yet confirmed whether the card will be 128bit or 96bit - if it's the former it wouldn't be the first time NVidia have done asymmetric capacity (i.e. 2 1GB chips and 2 0.5GB chips). Whether 0.5GB chips are sufficiently cheaper to make that worthwhile, OTOH...

Also aren't there some games now that flat refuse to run unless the GPU reports > 2GB of VRAM?

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    My reading of the story is that it's not yet confirmed whether the card will be 128bit or 96bit - if it's the former it wouldn't be the first time NVidia have done asymmetric capacity (i.e. 2 1GB chips and 2 0.5GB chips). Whether 0.5GB chips are sufficiently cheaper to make that worthwhile, OTOH...

Also aren't there some games now that flat refuse to run unless the GPU reports > 2GB of VRAM?
    Indeed, this could be the 3.5GB 970 all over again if Nvidia play it right, just this time with 2.5GB of usable ram out of three

But hey, these were never performance cards, so cheap is good yeah?

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Hitman refuses to run at ultra setting with <4GB VRAM, which rules out this card (and 3GB 1060s):

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graph...-devil/?page=9

Of course, that just supports the old adage that <4GB might as well be 2GB, as textures either get compressed to fit 2GB VRAM or 4GB*. IMO, nvidia would be better off making this new 1050 a 4GB card - it'll still be slower than the 1050ti with its reduced processing width.

* The ethereum mining thingy is the only application coming to mind that would benefit from 3GB VRAM

Thanks

Indeed, this could be the 3.5GB 970 all over again if Nvidia play it right, just this time with 2.5GB of usable ram out of three

Uh, all of the memory was usable the first time around, just ignorant people reported fake news. They had also already done this before and are clearly good at fixing "CORNER CASES" as even anandtech couldn't find any issues even though they hate NV and are an AMD portal site...LOL. Please quit creating fake news As long as nobody can prove it's a hindrance even in a corner case, buzz off If you have to put the card into a situation that is NEVER the case in actual game play (meaning some simulation crap or synthetic useless case just to show it ignoring the slower portion)...again, buzz off. The only thing that counts in gaming, is well, GAMING.

The bandwidth and how that works out is a whole other issue, but actual available ram...fake news. It's 3GB. PERIOD. Or the games that require it wouldn't start correct? Maybe some is a little slower (again, done before by both sides), but it's 3GB at the end of the day correct? Nuff said. You act as though NV is attempting to screw the customer by adding more ram (which admittedly probably only helps a few "corner cases" LOL)...ROFL. OK. IF someone can prove the card is worse than the 2GB card in PERF, then ok, you have an argument that this was stupid. Otherwise, I'm guessing there is at least a few games that will NOW launch fine, that you couldn't before with the 2GB card. IE, they're doing something FOR the customer, not against us. Haters gonna hate I guess?

Thanks
    • rich835's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K @4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock
      • PSU:
      • Powercool X-Viper 80 Plus Bronze 950W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus - White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer K272HL + Oculus Rift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150mb

I'm not sure what the point is of a 3GB 1050. Might as well buy a 4GB 1050TI, I can't imagine there will be a massive saving to be made.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post

Uh, all of the memory was usable the first time around, just ignorant people reported fake news. They had also already done this before and are clearly good at fixing "CORNER CASES" as even anandtech couldn't find any issues even though they hate NV and are an AMD portal site...LOL. Please quit creating fake news As long as nobody can prove it's a hindrance even in a corner case, buzz off If you have to put the card into a situation that is NEVER the case in actual game play (meaning some simulation crap or synthetic useless case just to show it ignoring the slower portion)...again, buzz off. The only thing that counts in gaming, is well, GAMING.

The bandwidth and how that works out is a whole other issue, but actual available ram...fake news. It's 3GB. PERIOD. Or the games that require it wouldn't start correct? Maybe some is a little slower (again, done before by both sides), but it's 3GB at the end of the day correct? Nuff said. You act as though NV is attempting to screw the customer by adding more ram (which admittedly probably only helps a few "corner cases" LOL)...ROFL. OK. IF someone can prove the card is worse than the 2GB card in PERF, then ok, you have an argument that this was stupid. Otherwise, I'm guessing there is at least a few games that will NOW launch fine, that you couldn't before with the 2GB card. IE, they're doing something FOR the customer, not against us. Haters gonna hate I guess?

The problem is not the memory itself. The reason why people got pissed at Nvidia seems to have eluded such a great mind such as yourself. The reason is that the card was sold under a specific set of specifications just to, later on, be discovered that it was a fallacy. It is the non-disclosing of all the information that got Nvidia in hot waters, not the memory itself.
    Back to reading more articles that represent a collection of points of view, instead of trying to defend your preferred GPU manufacturer.

Btw, they are doing something for the people, yes, the shareholders.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    Haters gonna hate I guess?
    As an engineer, I only hate poor engineering.

There is a chance that this is a stonking product. Perhaps this is a 3GB 1060 with half the shaders disabled to sell off some poor yield silicon at 2GB 1050 money? It's just that somehow I doubt Nvidia are going to give us a bump in ram and bandwidth without taking something away.

You are quite right that funky memory asymmetry tricks have been pulled in the past without issue. If those tricks were used to turn the 3GB 1060 into a 4GB 1060 then I'm sure there would be a big cheer as it would push that card from a dubious purchase into quite a decent product.

So to re-use your emphasis, GAMING needs another 3GB card like a hole in the head. There just isn't a case for it, PERIOD. Slow cards can't pull that level of texture so will stick with lower settings and 2GB, faster cards will be expected to have 4GB and games tuned accordingly. For non-gaming use, 1GB would be fine.

But I guess we just need to wait and see benchmarks, where Nvidia will tell reviewers which games to benchmark so we see it in the best light, unless they don't get sent to reviewers which is more likely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderas View Post
    The problem is not the memory itself. The reason why people got pissed at Nvidia seems to have eluded such a great mind such as yourself. The reason is that the card was sold under a specific set of specifications just to, later on, be discovered that it was a fallacy. It is the non-disclosing of all the information that got Nvidia in hot waters, not the memory itself.
    Back to reading more articles that represent a collection of points of view, instead of trying to defend your preferred GPU manufacturer.

Btw, they are doing something for the people, yes, the shareholders.
    The specific set of specifications never mentioned the bandwidth of the individual modules, non-disclosure of information isn't a crime or lying. That's not to say i agree with Nvidia's apparent selective amnesia with the 970 but if you're expecting companies to be honest with you then you only have yourself to blame (imo), it's why tech sites are so important as they allow like minded people to come together and test, verify, and investigate the products we all buy.

It's why Nvidia's recent claim of wanting to be transparent with customers rings so hollow with me, it's not that they have mislead their customers in the past as like i said every company is guilty of that, it's that they're acting all innocent despite evidence to the contrary.

Registered+
    Thanks

AMD seems to still be having trouble making the Vega cards; supplies are very tight and thus the high prices. Sources are saying we're not going to see Vega graphics cards using the new 7nm process (they're being reserved for machine learning cards) but perhaps we'll see a refresh using the 12nm process that is in Zen+. If so, the supply shortages probably won't resolve until those are released.

If NVidia's 1100 series is really great, AMD will probably just stand pat (and watch their market share shrink) rather than investing in a die shrink of Vega that would still be lagging well behind the competition, and wait until Navi is ready next year to get back in the game.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Dulcey View Post
    AMD seems to still be having trouble making the Vega cards; supplies are very tight and thus the high prices.
    I'm not convinced it is as simple as that. Overclockers seem to have plenty of stock at the keenest prices, yet those prices start about £100 over RRP.

Edit: In fact, since yesterday their cheapest card actually went up £30.

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

This will be dead on arrival! Desperate attempt to flog a low/mid-end product against the AMD Ryzen APU and the Intel Core-Radeon products which are far smaller and power efficient! So much for the GPP bullying tactics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information