Thread: LG OLED TV burn-in woes evident at trade show

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

LG OLED TV burn-in woes evident at trade show

A 65-inch exhibition TV suffered from significant burn-in after only 2 to 3 weeks.
    Read more.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: LG OLED TV burn-in woes evident at trade show

Presumably monitors at exhibitions (and for public display) will be operated at higher brightness levels than in a domestic environment. Domestically TV tends to me frequently changing images which also mitigates against burn in.

This CNET article goes into burn in (or image retention) in some detail, including how to mitigate it in the first place, or remove it if it does occur.

https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-scree...-need-to-know/

That said, the critical bit is that (they assert) it is due to uneven ageing - which re-inforces the fact that at present OLED displays may have a shorter life span than 'conventional' display technology.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

3. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (09-07-2018)

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Personally I would expect to see burn in on any OLED or Plasma panel if it was displaying a static image for 8 hours a day. You'd be a fool to think otherwise. Now the real question is was it displaying a static image.

Both my Panny plasma's have burnt in Sky logos in the bottom left corners from where the family has paused a program and then left it for a couple of hours or more, repeatedly. OLED I would not expect to be any different in this regard and fully expect to get burn in. Goes with the territory I'm afraid.

Thanks

Yeah so OLEDs don't burn in, the pixels continue to degrade after a certain amount of usage. If the 'blue' subpixel is used loads for a logo, it will degrade quicker than the surrounding blue subpixels and look like there is 'burn in'. For everyone to see it is really still 'burn in' but it is caused by different things. It happens to every OLED from every company.

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Having read this, I'm pleased I went for a FALD LED Bravia instead. My sons are terrible for leaving Sky paused for ages while they have dinner or go out in the garden.

Old Geezer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blaineoliver View Post
    Yeah so OLEDs don't burn in, the pixels continue to degrade after a certain amount of usage. If the 'blue' subpixel is used loads for a logo, it will degrade quicker than the surrounding blue subpixels and look like there is 'burn in'. For everyone to see it is really still 'burn in' but it is caused by different things. It happens to every OLED from every company.
    There is plenty of evidence that burn-in does occur on OLED displays, not least the image in the article. Burn-in simply refers to a persistent after-image, not literally burnt in to the screen.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

There are better and worse quality OLED displays when it comes to burn in.

10 years ago I was working at Nokia on one of the first phones to feature an OLED display. To test for burn in, we brought 10 premium displays from different manufacturers, put them in a test rig with the same static image displayed 24/7 with the brightness cranked up to maximum and left them like that for 3 months.

At the end of the time, some displays had fairly noticeable burn in, others where fine. As it was a premium phone we where working on, we spec'd the best performing display for production, and had no complaints about burn in from the end users.

On the other hand if a product is being built down to a price, then there are some terrible displays out there, that will suffer burn in after only 100 hours or so of use.

9. Received thanks from:

Output (09-07-2018),ultrasbm (11-07-2018)

Thanks

Company who has a vested interest in Nanodot technology as used in the Samsung tv has a oled display that just happens to have one of the most publicised issues.....hmm, think I'd want some independent testing before believe everything being said about the LG tv.

I'm pretty sure I could force burn in by just using a high output of the exact same image for 3 weeks 24 hours a day, hell I remember the days when lcd's had 'burn in' issues if left on for too long. There's also an easier way to 'fake it' when turned on and that's just to have an transparent image overlay in that corner when doing the 'graphical work' being displayed.

11. Received thanks from:

Savas (10-07-2018)

ETR316

There is New OLED tech that reduces "burn-in" by 70%, LG better start using and release soon.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiansam View Post
    There is plenty of evidence that burn-in does occur on OLED displays, not least the image in the article. Burn-in simply refers to a persistent after-image, not literally burnt in to the screen.
    That's image retention, rather than burn in though.

Burn in is when its stuck there for good. Many screens suffer image retention of some degree or another, bizarrely my really old Panny plasmas never had any IR issues, Sky paused, games with HUDs, no problems.....it seems to be the newer kit that is suffering more.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

You can see it with Samsung Galaxy S/Note display phones in their brightly lit white themed showrooms. These brightly lit Samsung showrooms put said phones at high contrast brightness levels (which a lot of people do in real life for the "oooh colour" anyway) while using the circular clock display cover. Within a couple of weeks of the Galaxy phone launch, you can peer around the circular clock cover to see the circular clock display burn in. Notice that they have stopped attaching said circular covers.

This is also a problem if you use blue light filters like F-lux / CF Lumens to reduce the blue light at night. Then the red sub-pixels will age prematurely. Note that a lot of people do their night reading/browsing in bed etc.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    That's image retention, rather than burn in though.

Burn in is when its stuck there for good. Many screens suffer image retention of some degree or another, bizarrely my really old Panny plasmas never had any IR issues, Sky paused, games with HUDs, no problems.....it seems to be the newer kit that is suffering more.
    Very bizarre as all my ancient panny plasma's do have burnt in images. TH-42 PH9 has both IR and burn in images, mainly from the Wii, Sky & Xbox 360. And the Panasonic TX-P42G20B has burn in from the Sky pause/play logo. I think you must look after them very well, mine have been abused by the kids & the wife !!

Thanks
    • Savas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850W
      • Case:
      • LIANLI PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 32LF580V
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbits (Plusnet)

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Company who has a vested interest in Nanodot technology as used in the Samsung tv has a oled display that just happens to have one of the most publicised issues.....hmm, think I'd want some independent testing before believe everything being said about the LG tv.

I'm pretty sure I could force burn in by just using a high output of the exact same image for 3 weeks 24 hours a day, hell I remember the days when lcd's had 'burn in' issues if left on for too long. There's also an easier way to 'fake it' when turned on and that's just to have an transparent image overlay in that corner when doing the 'graphical work' being displayed.
    Hit the nail on the head here.. "quantum dot developer Nanosys". Isn't quantum dot a direct rival of OLED? Something LG has invested in, while Samsung has invested in "quantum dot" LCD's, called QLED? Nanosys, which Samsung is a major funder of the company..

17. Received thanks from:

Millennium (23-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Savas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post

Hit the nail on the head here.. "quantum dot developer Nanosys". Isn't quantum dot a direct rival of OLED? Something LG has invested in, while Samsung has invested in "quantum dot" LCD's, called QLED? Nanosys, which Samsung is a major funder of the company..
    ^ This. Please Hexus, tag infomercials as infomercials.

Thread Information