• Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Have we reached peak Netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    The obvious answer to the title question is: no. Netflix subs continued to grow.

This is the 'PC is dead' mentality; people just like things to die and enjoy predicting it. And sure, some things die in the end, but there's always a lot of premature discussion on that subject.
    I sort of think you are right, but to be fair the once huge Blockbuster Video is down to it's last shop somewhere in the US and that isn't for lack of new DVD & console material they could loan out. But predicting the demise of Netflix when it hasn't even reached stagnation seems way premature, specially in the face of mere competition rather than something properly disruptive.

Thanks

Reporting on slowing growth is hardly 'predicting it to die' is it? It just suggests one of a couple of things; almost everyone who wants a subscription now already has one, and/or there's a reason (such as content availability/fragmentation) which is limiting expansion. Of course, companies will continue to ignore such an elephant in the room and point the finger at piracy as a cause rather accepting it could actually be, at least partially, an effect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Reporting on slowing growth is hardly 'predicting it to die' is it?
    "Have we reached peak Netflix?" does imply that someone thinks that Netflix will be on decline from now on, or is at least suggesting this possibility. Which typically stems from not knowing much of anything. I mean, if anyone cared to look at stats they'd see that Q2 has always been slow for Netflix. You could ask that almost every year (and to a much larger extent than now), and every year you'd be wrong to assume it. It's just a matter of people being idiots. Sorry, I'm just annoyed with how bad people are when it comes to 'deducing' stuff from statistics. It happens so often that it's just a pet peeve.

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    almost everyone who wants a subscription now already has one
    It may be reasonably true for the US (where 73% of households have Netflix), but far from true worldwide.
    Last edited by ET3D; 19-07-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    "Have we reached peak Netflix?" does imply that someone thinks that Netflix will be on decline from now on, or is at least suggesting this possibility. Which typically stems from not knowing rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish about anything. I mean, if anyone cared to look at stats they'd see that Q2 has always been slow for Netflix. You could ask that almost every year (and to a much larger extent than now), and every year you'd be wrong to assume it. It's just a matter of people being idiots. Sorry, I'm just annoyed with who bad people are when it comes to 'deducing' stuff from statistics. It happens all so often that it's just a pet peeve.

It may be reasonably true for the US (where 73% of households have Netflix), but far from true worldwide.
    https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018...e-than-sky-bt/

More people now have streaming subs than old fashioned pay tv. But the profits are far far higher for the olde stylee method of distribution
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Oh and Hexus have just picked up on that news. Now newest news story!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information