Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming services overtake pay TV in the UK

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Streaming services overtake pay TV in the UK

Meanwhile Ofcom has revealed the latest UK pay TV and telecoms complaints figures.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Re: Streaming services overtake pay TV in the UK

We decided to get rid of Sky Q a few month back as their fibre broadband, line rental and tv (everything but sport & movies) was coming in at over £100 per month. We have changed over to BT TV which has full record functionality of Freeview channels and we pay an extra tenner for some of the premium Sky channels like GOLD, Discovery and so on albeit in SD. The BT stuff costs us just over £45 per month which is a great saving, we do also have Netflix which can be watched on the BT box so all is good.

The pay tv services like Sky are just becoming a rip off, last 12 months Sky put their prices up 4 times which is what made us decide to get rid. When the BT contract is up I will be calling their retentions to see if I can keep our current deal as it was an 18 month offer and if not we will change to TalkTalk for 18 months with it being similar price and deal.

Thanks

Surprising that Sky are the least complained about as i know quite a few people with vitriolic opinions of Sky. I wonder if they are considering all Sky Customers, even those without broadband...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Surprising that Sky are the least complained about as i know quite a few people with vitriolic opinions of Sky. I wonder if they are considering all Sky Customers, even those without broadband...
    Sky broadband is pants, their satellite TV is a fairly robust system though that has gone through many iterations to get where it is. It costs a fortune though. I kicked it into touch about 5 years ago now, only wanted it for football, Sky One and the occasional movie and it was costing £88pm for that in HD and an additional box in the bedroom......I'm still surprised how many people I know who complain about not being able to afford x or y, yet have a full Sky package..
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

5. Received thanks from:

Millennium (23-07-2018)

Thanks

As replies to the above - Sky broadband is OK. It's pretty cheap. Talk Talk however complaints are on the rise and they are the most complained about broadband supplier by far. Sky Q seems to be just too expensive, however as a Virgin customer here with 200 meg broadband and 2 x Tivo V6 boxes I don't enjoy paying £100 a month but the missus does get full use of it and we have a nice projector/surround sound setup in 1080p that looks awesome. So for us, although it's expensive I feel it's just about acceptable. Our broadband is about 265 meg down as well
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    ...and we pay an extra tenner for some of the premium Sky channels like GOLD, Discovery and so on albeit in SD.
    Does NowTV have the channels you want? I think most content is 720p rather than SD, and it is £8 per month.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Does NowTV have the channels you want? I think most content is 720p rather than SD, and it is £8 per month.
    Actually it's less than that, if you buy the cards from Argos or wherever it's £15 for 3 months for those channels. Even better when you go to cancel after a few of those and then pay £3.50 a month for a while, rinse and repeat (similar for movies as well). Plus you get boxsets. Watching on a Roku means 1080p.

BBC, ITV Channel 4 and Channel 5's £2.5bn combined network spending on original UK-made programmes in 2017 represented a record low – and was £1bn (28 per cent) less than the 2004 peak of £3.4bn.
    Well if the BBC stopped paying over the odds for presenters, maybe they could put that into original programming. As to what they define as original, too much reality TV rubbish, no more decent sitcoms etc. Can't imagine why they are losing viewing figures, perhaps it's to do with the rubbish they all produce.

9. Received thanks from:

Millennium (23-07-2018)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post

Well if the BBC stopped paying over the odds for presenters, maybe they could put that into original programming. As to what they define as original, too much reality TV rubbish, no more decent sitcoms etc. Can't imagine why they are losing viewing figures, perhaps it's to do with the rubbish they all produce.
    A list of BBC science and nature programmes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/genr...technology/all

Presenters such as Sir David Attenborough, (Blue Planet and numerous spin offs)

Professor Alice Roberts (Natural sciences)

Helen Czerski. (Physics, technology and natural sciences)

Professor Brian Cox. Astrophysics, Technology

Dr Michael Mosely Human health research

etc, etc, etc
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

11. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (18-07-2018),Hoonigan (18-07-2018),Saracen (19-07-2018)

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Sky's pricing has been way over the top for a good period of time now.

We're with Virgin Media at the moment. Paying £88 a month.
    That package includes our internet (speeds below), TV including Sky Sports, the full HD package and Netflix. We also have a phoneline with them but don't use that.

Considering the speed of the internet package we receive, as well as the reliability and the Sky Sports, £88 is a lot of money, but we get our use out of it with generally over a TB per month being downloaded.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    A list of BBC science and nature programmes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/genr...technology/all

Presenters such as Sir David Attenborough, (Blue Planet and numerous spin offs)

Professor Alice Roberts (Natural sciences)

Helen Czerski. (Physics, technology and natural sciences)

Professor Brian Cox. Astrophysics, Technology

Dr Michael Mosely Human health research

etc, etc, etc
    Which is all fine if that's what you want to watch (I prefer reading those subjects....)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I buy the sports passes for NowTV when I want to watch Sky sports, other that I think I have a £3 a month fee for a few extra channels on the Youview from Plusnet, but dont bother with any other subscription TV, everything is Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube. I get BT Sport free with my £33 a month Plusnet package.

Thanks

Which is all fine if that's what you want to watch (I prefer reading those subjects....)
    But hardly rubbish...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

BBC shouldn't have any of those programmes. Period. It shouldn't be paying for broadcast rights for expensive sports events either. It's taxpayer funded, and someone who doesn't want to watch BBC content but something else has to pay the BBC £150 a year. Reduce BBC's expenses further, cut all expensive comedy shows and sports events and replace them with smaller events that give more people an opportunity to be on TV. Eg a League 2 game instead of top tier and a local comedy club instead of Michael Mcintyre's biggest events. Replace overpaid hosts and stars on almost all shows and replace them with promising student actors/hosts etc. Then increase funding into educational programmes.

Then cut the TV tax significantly, as it will be a service that can benefit the nation and not just those that want to watch bad TV shows.

Also sell the rights to major TV shows and offer a refund to previous TV tax payers.
    Last edited by peterb; 19-07-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Correct quotes

17. Received thanks from:

Saracen (19-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post

BBC shouldn't have any of those programmes. Period. It shouldn't be paying for broadcast rights for expensive sports events either. It's taxpayer funded, and someone who doesn't want to watch BBC content but something else has to pay the BBC £150 a year. Reduce BBC's expenses further, cut all expensive comedy shows and sports events and replace them with smaller events that give more people an opportunity to be on TV. Eg a League 2 game instead of top tier and a local comedy club instead of Michael Mcintyre's biggest events. Replace overpaid hosts and stars on almost all shows and replace them with promising student actors/hosts etc. Then increase funding into educational programmes.

Then cut the TV tax significantly, as it will be a service that can benefit the nation and not just those that want to watch bad TV shows.

Also sell the rights to major TV shows and offer a refund to previous TV tax payers.
    So then you will have to pay to say watch the world cup with a subscription, because if the BBC does as you suggest all the other channels will become subscription. The BBC would exist for just news and historical content and no new content would be made by them. They would also be forced to probably drop the other channels and just be BBC 1. I'd imagine that all the radio channels would disappear as well. Is that such a good idea?
    Last edited by peterb; 19-07-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Correct quotes
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

19. Received thanks from:

peterb (19-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post

Its remit is to provide programming for all tastes, including niche as well as mainstream, so it can make programmes that would not necessarily be viable in a fully commercial environment.

There are programmes the BBC put out that I don’t watch (soaps in particular) but others find them compelling.

It’s a bit like any other tax - you are paying for services that you might not be using yourself (education if you don’t have children, for example).

Personally I find the output of the main free view/freesat channels more than sufficient to satisfy my viewing needs, and £12 month compares very favourable with the subscription services like sky/virgin that offer very little additional content that would be of interest to me.

And the Radio channels without intrusive and repetitive advertising... bliss.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

21. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (19-07-2018)

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    And the Radio channels without intrusive and repetitive advertising... bliss.
    This. So much this peterb.

£12 per month really isn't that bad. However, don't get me started on their stupid "you need to pay twice as much for the first six months" rubbish; that really rubbed me the wrong way.

23. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (19-07-2018),peterb (19-07-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information