Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,287
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,680 times in 584 posts

    Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Previously, the new Core i9 MacBook was being outpaced in tests by last year's Core i7 model.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    King of the Juice Platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    3,721
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked
    79 times in 66 posts
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Looks like the Dell XPS 15 is throttling as well, Apple and Dell should have tested the chips more and sorted their cooling but I wonder if Intel is partially to blame, the i7 is fine and has the same TDP as the i9, is Intel telling porkies with the power draw?
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    60 times in 40 posts
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPU:
      • 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 32GB (8 x 4GB) @ Stock
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SanDisk Extreme II SSD, 960GB ADATA 8200 M.2, 960GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 295X2 OC @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" ASUS PB287Q 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VM @ 350/20

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Would be interesting to get some more details about the patch, like does this just allow the chip to run hotter for longer before it starts throttling, which isn't much of a fix.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,422
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    80 times in 67 posts

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Is it just me or can anybody else not see the point of a laptop that is always throttling performance?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  5. #5
    King of the Juice Platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    3,721
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked
    79 times in 66 posts
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Ok looks like the Razer Blade throttles as well, interesting.
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked
    79 times in 59 posts

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    I wrote a rant but it went astray. The description sounds like it just allows the chip to run hotter for longer. This is a bad idea as I found when I bought a laptop that had a desktop P4 in it... the CPU didn't cook but the surrounding components did and parts failed one by one. There is clearly a thermal design issue in that it was running at >90 degrees under load and it sounds like they've just changed the throttling parameters - you can't force the chip to run cooler. All you can do is run the fans faster for longer with a lower starting threshold and hope it compensates. I suspect there are two issues going on here. Firstly the marketing department wants to advertise an i9 and doesn't care if it throttles. Secondly the engineers will be well aware of the issues but told to shut up and get on with it. The lifespan of the laptop will likely be decreased by this patch as the CPU may be able to handle it but the extra thermal expansion and contraction of the surrounding copper tracks and components will likely cause a higher rate of premature failures as well as the possible extra wear on the fans (although I doubt this is a major issue - I've only ever replaced one fan in a laptop). My Macbook Air has an i5 in it and it throttles at the drop of a hat and it's very frustrating. It was clearly a marketing decision to drive sales. There's no point in sticking a giant engine in a car when the cooling, transmission, chassis etc can't handle it. All you get is bragging rights and an expensive repair bill when it all goes horribly wrong.

  7. #7
    King of the Juice Platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    3,721
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked
    79 times in 66 posts
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Yea Apple / Dell / Razer should have done more testing and either not gone with the chip or beefed up the cooling solution on the CPU and VRM's.
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>


  8. #8
    Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    17,137
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked
    2,149 times in 1,405 posts

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Ok looks like the Razer Blade throttles as well, interesting.
    I think they always have, or was that just the GPU?

    However, lots of people are painting this "all light laptops throttle" which is true, but this throttling was rendering the i9 useless, no better than the i7.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    lol not good apple

  10. #10
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,110
    Thanks
    1,379
    Thanked
    1,054 times in 812 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570 (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial DDR3 1866MHz
      • Storage:
      • 240GB Crucial M4, 480GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate SSHD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • XFX 650W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2913WM & Philips E-line 234EL2SB
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    I just did a quick test on my i7 8550u equipped thinkpad and I also noticed that it throttles pretty sharpish. It hits 100% on all cores, temps hit 80~90 and bam, locks at 2000Mhz.... but then the fans slow down.

    I would probably prefer, certainly when I'm plugged in, that the fans ramp up and allow me to have a higher clock speed.... have to look into this.

    edit - actually this isnt throttling I suppose as the base clock is 1800Mhz
    Last edited by Biscuit; 25-07-2018 at 12:56 PM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    And magicomically they will issue "a fix" after serveral media reported the issue. Did they even test the device before releasing it?

  12. #12
    King of the Juice Platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    3,721
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked
    79 times in 66 posts
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Quote Originally Posted by GinoLatino View Post
    And magicomically they will issue "a fix" after serveral media reported the issue. Did they even test the device before releasing it?
    Hey at least they have been quick to test and fix the issue, haven't seen a fix yet from Dell or Razer.
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    763
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    32 times in 29 posts
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjor24HO2HA the real reason it's the vrm's

    thinner is not always better you lose loads of cooling ..and with very little ventilation it's just MADNESS ..
    90c for most of it's life and it's not going to live that long say bye bye to your £2000 - 3000
    Last edited by flearider; 25-07-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

    To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

  14. #14
    Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    17,137
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked
    2,149 times in 1,405 posts

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Hey at least they have been quick to test and fix the issue, haven't seen a fix yet from Dell or Razer.
    Because they don't have the same problem.

    This is happening on a single thread load, and almost immediately.

    That's the difference.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

  15. #15
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Apple's latest MacBook Pros get throttling bug fix

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I wrote a rant but it went astray. The description sounds like it just allows the chip to run hotter for longer. This is a bad idea as I found when I bought a laptop that had a desktop P4 in it... the CPU didn't cook but the surrounding components did and parts failed one by one. There is clearly a thermal design issue in that it was running at >90 degrees under load and it sounds like they've just changed the throttling parameters - you can't force the chip to run cooler. All you can do is run the fans faster for longer with a lower starting threshold and hope it compensates. I suspect there are two issues going on here. Firstly the marketing department wants to advertise an i9 and doesn't care if it throttles. Secondly the engineers will be well aware of the issues but told to shut up and get on with it. The lifespan of the laptop will likely be decreased by this patch as the CPU may be able to handle it but the extra thermal expansion and contraction of the surrounding copper tracks and components will likely cause a higher rate of premature failures as well as the possible extra wear on the fans (although I doubt this is a major issue - I've only ever replaced one fan in a laptop). My Macbook Air has an i5 in it and it throttles at the drop of a hat and it's very frustrating. It was clearly a marketing decision to drive sales. There's no point in sticking a giant engine in a car when the cooling, transmission, chassis etc can't handle it. All you get is bragging rights and an expensive repair bill when it all goes horribly wrong.
    This!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •