• EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Tesla promises best Atari games will feature in v9.0 car update

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    Whats wrong with having this for people who want to pass time while charging their car?
    I object to vehicles taking so long to charge that they have to include ADHD distraction tactics just so I don't start remembering how much easier my old diesel was... and the Nintendo DS is better anyway!

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I object to vehicles taking so long to charge that they have to include ADHD distraction tactics just so I don't start remembering how much easier my old diesel was... and the Nintendo DS is better anyway!
    I'm pretty sure all these newer electric cars do like 0-80% in like 20 minutes or so. I'd probably just browse reddit myself though.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

I'm pretty sure all these newer electric cars do like 0-80% in like 20 minutes or so.
    Takes me, what, 5 minutes to refuel my dino-burner?

So an EV will also quadruple the time I'll have to spend queueing up to get to the charging point, as everyone else will now be taking four times as long... And you'll always get the muppets who put DC in when their car takes AC, the dozy sausage that drives off with the plug still connected, etc etc...

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Takes me, what, 5 minutes to refuel my dino-burner?

So an EV will also quadruple the time I'll have to spend queueing up to get to the charging point, as everyone else will now be taking four times as long... And you'll always get the muppets who put DC in when their car takes AC, the dozy sausage that drives off with the plug still connected, etc etc...
    How much does it cost to fill up your car each week and how much do you spend on maintenance? Both of these are massively lower for evs. Also, as countries ramp up the use of renewables more and more; the cost to charge evs wil only ever lower. By contrast, the cost of fuel is going the other way.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

As I said in the Gibraltar EV thread,it seems car companies and battery makers CBA with recycling the batteries,since recycling lithium is more expensive than digging it out of the ground!

Most of the batteries get chucked,and the rest which are recycled are shipped to China,on those lovely non-polluting ships,with massive 2 stroke engines using heavy fuel oil,ie,the biggest source of pollution in the world apparently. Even if there is noise towards moving to better fuel sources for ships,its happening at a slower pace than cars.

Its sad that governments are having to force EV makers and battery makers to recycle instead of dumping the toxic waste in 3rd world countries using ships burning heavy fuel oil. IIRC,the best case scenario will see 60% of all batteries re-used(NOT re-cycled after this happens) and 40% dumped. The whole industry by 2025 HOPES to recycle 9% of all batteries. In fact it seems China is pushing more to recycle the batteries than Europe and the US,which is just pathetic.

We should be building recycling plants NOW,instead of waiting for the volume of lithium batteries to hit a level, were we get too much waste.

Only NOW are companies like Bosch are TRYING to move to standardised batteries,and analysts from research institutes involved with battery development are saying far more needs to be done standardising batteries and making them easier to recycle.

Companies need to be forced to locally recycle batteries and be forced to dumped less lithium containing waste,and IMHO they should be fined if they don't get serious. Its a joke companies have had years of handling lithium batteries and recycling and re-use is an afterthought which governments need to force them to do.

Not surprising with the car industry in general. Saving the environment is more like ka-ching for them.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-08-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hey Tesla...how about fixing your KIA like build on the cars over cabin games???

Registered+
    Thanks
    • HavoCnMe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 132-YW-E180-A1
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC10666 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 3xWD320GB Raid0(OS) - Seagate 500GB (Backup and Downloads) - WD Cavi Blk 640GB (Media)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CMPSU-750TX (750w)
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master RC-690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SW2309 23"
      • Internet:
      • Cox Communications

Im curious how much your electric bill goes up when adding one of these to your household? I know my electric bill has climbed every year just like gas prices so I don't really see the point...Weather your adding to nuclear waste or carbon monoxide or lithium waste which is better?

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    As I said in the Gibraltar EV thread,it seems car companies and battery makers CBA with recycling the batteries,since recycling lithium is more expensive than digging it out of the ground!

Most of the batteries get chucked,and the rest which are recycled are shipped to China,on those lovely non-polluting ships,with massive 2 stroke engines using heavy fuel oil,ie,the biggest source of pollution in the world apparently. Even if there is noise towards moving to better fuel sources for ships,its happening at a slower pace than cars.

Its sad that governments are having to force EV makers and battery makers to recycle instead of dumping the toxic waste in 3rd world countries using ships burning heavy fuel oil. IIRC,the best case scenario will see 60% of all batteries re-used(NOT re-cycled after this happens) and 40% dumped. The whole industry by 2025 HOPES to recycle 9% of all batteries. In fact it seems China is pushing more to recycle the batteries than Europe and the US,which is just pathetic.

We should be building recycling plants NOW,instead of waiting for the volume of lithium batteries to hit a level, were we get too much waste.

Only NOW are companies like Bosch are TRYING to move to standardised batteries,and analysts from research institutes involved with battery development are saying far more needs to be done standardising batteries and making them easier to recycle.

Companies need to be forced to locally recycle batteries and be forced to dumped less lithium containing waste,and IMHO they should be fined if they don't get serious. Its a joke companies have had years of handling lithium batteries and recycling and re-use is an afterthought which governments need to force them to do.

Not surprising with the car industry in general. Saving the environment is more like ka-ching for them.
    I was under the impression that once the batteries hit a certain age the manufacturers used them in static storage.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

IIRC in terms of CO2 output per tonne of cargo container ships are an order of magnitude more efficient than any other means.
    Quote Originally Posted by FromUSA View Post
    Hey Tesla...how about fixing your KIA like build on the cars over cabin games???
    I own a Kia, they may not be sexy but they're very well screwed together.

Now if you'd said VAG like build...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I was under the impression that once the batteries hit a certain age the manufacturers used them in static storage.
    Most lithium batteries are dumped - if you look at the figures of re-use,they are aiming for 60% re-use,but after that the batteries need to be recycled or re-used,and a lot of that is for consumer electronics. However,recycling of lithium in consumer electronics is even worse than for cars. In the EU the recycling rates are only 5% it appears:

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...hium-recycling
    https://recyclinginternational.com/n...elatively-low/

By 2025 only 9% of lithium batteries will be made from be recycled lithium compounds. China OTH,is recycling far more than any other country,which means the EU and the US are lagging way behind.

Its a sad day when China is ahead of us in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    IIRC in terms of CO2 output per tonne of cargo container ships are an order of magnitude more efficient than any other means.I own a Kia, they may not be sexy but they're very well screwed together.

Now if you'd said VAG like build...
    They are still the biggest polluters in the world - its the use of 2 stroke engines burning heavy fuel oil. To put in context,apparently the top 15 largest ships emit more sulphur and nitrogen containing oxides than ALL the cars in the world combined:

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/...bon-pollution/

It does not all excuse the lack of European and US based recycling anyway.

More needs to be done locally as the amount of dumped batteries is going to become significantly bigger over the next decade.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 04-08-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Most lithium batteries are dumped - if you look at the figures of re-use,they are aiming for 60% re-use,but after that the batteries need to be recycled or re-used,and a lot of that is for consumer electronics. However,recycling of lithium in consumer electronics is even worse than for cars. In the EU the recycling rates are only 5% it appears:

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...hium-recycling
    https://recyclinginternational.com/n...elatively-low/

By 2025 only 9% of lithium batteries will be made from be recycled lithium compounds. China OTH,is recycling far more than any other country,which means the EU and the US are lagging way behind.

Its a sad day when China is ahead of us in this regard.

They are still the biggest polluters in the world - its the use of 2 stroke engines burning heavy fuel oil. To put in context,apparently the top 15 largest ships emit more sulphur and nitrogen containing oxides than ALL the cars in the world combined:

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/...bon-pollution/

It does not all excuse the lack of European and US based recycling anyway.

More needs to be done locally as the amount of dumped batteries is going to become significantly bigger over the next decade.
    Hopefully solid state batteries solve this issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FromUSA View Post
    Hey, that's a little unfair. Some of the newer KIA production is actually not as terrible as it used to be....

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Hopefully solid state batteries solve this issue.
    What ever it is,we need to recycle more. Lots of electronics seems to be dumped and not recycled more and it needs to be done not on another continent!!

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

What ever it is,we need to recycle more. Lots of electronics seems to be dumped and not recycled more and it needs to be done not on another continent!!
    To be fair only like 2% of the composition of a car battery is lithium. There needs to be more robust programmes of using the old ones for static storage etc for the lithium ion ones. I've heard that solid state batteries are going to be made from sodium ion and have advantages across the board; bigger capacity, quicker charge time and obviously environmentally.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

the dozy sausage that drives off with the plug still connected, etc etc...
    They are interlocked - you can't engage the traction motor while the charging cable is connected. Similarly, the different charging technologies are differentiated by different connectors.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

How much does it cost to fill up your car each week and how much do you spend on maintenance?
    Week? About £11.
    How much does it cost to charge your car?
    How much do you think the stations will start charging (and believe me, they WILL, because it's always about profit) once EVs are in the majority?

Maintenance, maybe a few hundred a year. I DIY and have a mechanic for a best friend, so I don't even get charged for borrowing the VCDS. Most of that is the same consumables you'd need for an EV anyway, like filters, lubes, wiper blades, tyres, etc.

Also, as countries ramp up the use of renewables more and more; the cost to charge evs wil only ever lower. By contrast, the cost of fuel is going the other way.
    And the more EVs I see, the less I think we'll be driving them.
    The biggest selling point people throw at me is how fast they can go 0-60... I can already get that in under 3 seconds and you do NOT want the general population having access to that kind of power... the only option is to make them all autonymous, which kills off the entire ability to drive in one swift H&S bulletin.
    Besides, they sound ridiculous and people keep stepping out in front of them, they look like ridiculous imitations of an AppleStore inside and they're just soul-less.... and they cost a fortune.

Diesel forever, or I'll walk!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    They are interlocked - you can't engage the traction motor while the charging cable is connected. Similarly, the different charging technologies are differentiated by different connectors.
    Early days.... You underestimate the extent of human stupidity, young Skywalker... and that shall be your undoing!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information