Thread: Gigabyte launches trio of AMD Epyc server systems

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Gigabyte launches trio of AMD Epyc server systems

Single socket 2U G291-Z20, G221-Z30 GPU servers, & 4U S451-Z30 storage server detailed.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Gigabyte launches trio of AMD Epyc server systems

I really like the new Gugabyte Chassis'. These are great configs, especially the Storage server!

Thanks

Processor has some security in it, but is the chipset secure? If not who cares? Not saying it isn't, just asking. I haven't read to much on AMD server situation in a while until they start selling a bunch that will affect the stock price. Until then, bleh, as for me it's about making money on it and they're not quite in the game yet IMHO. Ground-work is all that is being done so far it seems and figures as biz people need long leads for verification/testing etc. IE, Cuda wasn't built in a day. It was ~7yrs before it pretty much took over app world for the stuff it's used in.

I expect things to really pick up next year (for AMD's bottom line that is, IF and ONLY IF, they price HIGHER for that win) as it will be 7nm vs. Intel 14nm. That's a reason to make a purchase if you've been testing the crap out of gen1 and everything is working right. AMD should have a year of that everywhere next year as Intel is way late with 10nm (might miss xmas 2019 for mass systems? WOW). I'm thinking a Q1 replacement of my just purchased 8700k (and it will likely be AMD, since Intel will still be 14nm and have security issues still. AMD will be a no-brainer for me in Q1 as I won't wait for a lower power 8core with hyperthreading until xmas or later (intel's 8 looks to drop this, so I'm out at 95w...LOL). AMD will win by default just for being way early this time it seems during intel problems at the fabs.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    Processor has some security in it, but is the chipset secure? If not who cares?
    There have been issues found with the security processor in the past, but that feature is mainly aimed at things like encrypted virtual machines and none of these boxes seem to be really aimed at the VM market.

People hit by Meltdown performance impacts might care. That is mainly a Linux issue, and Linux is really big in servers specially HPC stuff that these seem to be aimed at.

HPC users aren't so bothered at long validation cycles either, they just want performance and will work around issues.

Thread Information