Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Q3 results push company value up towards $1 trillion

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple Q3 results push company value up towards $1 trillion

Best-ever revenue, in typically its weakest quarter, thanks to high price iPhone demand.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: Apple Q3 results push company value up towards $1 trillion

General question - how do people justify the cost of an £800+ phone (and this doesn't just apply to iphones)? I know by 'buying' via a sim contract it spreads the monthly cost to ~£50 but I still feel a little crazy having spent £300 on my current phone (and £5 a month on a SIM) and I earn a good Dev wage. I'm actually expecting my next phone to cost closer to £200 because I'm just not seeing new functionality I want let alone need... Am I just an out of touch 37 year old?
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    General question - how do people justify the cost of an £800+ phone (and this doesn't just apply to iphones)?
    IME a lot of millennials are really into their phones, but they don't drive, smoke or otherwise have any expensive vices or hobbies that might make them interesting^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hunable to afford an expensive phone

Registered+
    Thanks

General question - how do people justify the cost of an £800+ phone (and this doesn't just apply to iphones)? I know by 'buying' via a sim contract it spreads the monthly cost to ~£50 but I still feel a little crazy having spent £300 on my current phone (and £5 a month on a SIM) and I earn a good Dev wage. I'm actually expecting my next phone to cost closer to £200 because I'm just not seeing new functionality I want let alone need... Am I just an out of touch 37 year old?
    I'm 26 and bought my current phone for 70£, a Xiaomi Redmi 4X that was on sale. I can easily afford better ones but I just don't need the functionality and can't justify spending all that cash.
    The only thing I'd buy an expensive phone for is the camera, coz great cameras are only found on the flagships, but since taking selfies/photos as well as posting them on social media isn't really my thing, my 75£ phone is more than sufficient for me.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Mngereso View Post
    I'm 26 and bought my current phone for 70£, a Xiaomi Redmi 4X that was on sale. I can easily afford better ones but I just don't need the functionality and can't justify spending all that cash.
    The only thing I'd buy an expensive phone for is the camera, coz great cameras are only found on the flagships, but since taking selfies/photos as well as posting them on social media isn't really my thing, my 75£ phone is more than sufficient for me.
    That's why I spent £300 was to get a mechanical optical image stabilised camera however in practice my wife's £200 phone does just a good a job and doesn't have it! I just want a half decent camera, prompt updates, no bloat and a battery that makes it through the day...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Yeah you're an out of touch 37 year old (don't worry I'm the same sort of age) . Basically it's a status symbol for a lot of people, no idea why when so many people can buy them.

Like you I'm not out to buy a £800+ phone, hell I struggle to justify £2-300 for my needs (I'm looking for a new phone now) but then I'm not using my phone for games and I haven't mastered my duck pout...

As to apple having a $1 trillion value... maybe it's me but I'd be a little more insecure about my companies valuation when it basically relies on 1 item (lets be honest it's not the rest of their line up making them money)... we all saw how quickly blackberry and nokia etc went from being popular to nothing when the next big thing popped up. Look subjectively at Apple and not just at their existing brand status or marketing and you'll see that in real terms the only thing they're managing to keep 'popular' is the iPhone, designers are not as happy with Apple as they used to be, their iPad isn't selling as well and as many keep saying desktop/laptops for the home user are becoming less popular.

Thanks
    • EvilCycle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 7700K (OC to 4.8GHz on Corsair H100i V2)
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD, Samsung 840 evo 120GB SSD + 2 x 500GB 72000rpm HDD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME
      • PSU:
      • DEEPCOOL DQ 750st
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p 60hz AOC q2778vqe
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 380Mb (Fibre Optic)

Meanwhile Huawei have just knocked Apple off the No.2 smartphone manufacturer spot, fancy seeing Apple sitting at no.3 behind two Android linked companies!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Technically speaking if you are 37 you are a millennial. I think people are thinking of generation z.

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    ...you'll see that in real terms the only thing they're managing to keep 'popular' is the iPhone, designers are not as happy with Apple as they used to be, their iPad isn't selling as well and as many keep saying desktop/laptops for the home user are becoming less popular.
    Those trends don't just apply to Apple though. Sales of the S9 have apparently been pretty underwhelming (even Samsung themselves have admitted this). And the same goes for other vendors' tablet/laptop sales.

Investors also look at other factors, such as a company's longer term strategy, what patents it's submitted in recent years, etc - not just what's happening right now.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Mac computer unit sales were down 13 per cent year-on-year, and revenues down 5 per cent.
    This boys and girls is why they don't care about the MacBook Pros being any good.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy75 View Post
    Those trends don't just apply to Apple though. Sales of the S9 have apparently been pretty underwhelming (even Samsung themselves have admitted this). And the same goes for other vendors' tablet/laptop sales.

Investors also look at other factors, such as a company's longer term strategy, what patents it's submitted in recent years, etc - not just what's happening right now.
    Difference with Samsung (along with many other Apple rivals) and Apple is that Samsung sell/make a LOT more items, including in most cases the parts that go into the 'next big thing'.

I don't doubt Apple can survive, they're not exactly short of real cash value, but I wouldn't exactly say their recent items have been 'ground breaking' (actually I didn't think the iPhone was groundbreaking but then I was using a p900i which did more at the time) or anything, it's more been a case of 'me too' so they can keep people in their iOS ecosystem which is not a bad 'current' strategy but it's not exactly a good long term one if the 'next big thing' comes along which removes the need for a mobile phone.

The problem with investors is that it's often the investors themselves that are releasing things to 'increase the value' of a company to keep making money, you can't exactly be negative against what could be your biggest cash cow.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

People are also forgetting Apple has sold less iPhones but the average selling price has gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilCycle View Post
    Meanwhile Huawei have just knocked Apple off the No.2 smartphone manufacturer spot, fancy seeing Apple sitting at no.3 behind two Android linked companies!
    Yep,and as both Apple and Samsung innovate less,they will attempt to push their pricing upwards,to compensate for less sales. I said this ages ago,the Chinese companies would become more and more of a threat.

Both Apple and Samsung put margins over actually pushing innovations,and it meant a much easier target for the Chinese phone startups who have become bigger and bigger.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

General question - how do people justify the cost of an £800+ phone (and this doesn't just apply to iphones)?
    There are different factors at play. Some people never bought desktops or have home broadband. They skipped all that and went Smartphone+4g. Their phone is their camera, their music player, their internet access, their business device, their computing device. The more flagship the device, it will have some resale value later possibly or they intend to keep it for many years.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    This boys and girls is why they don't care about the MacBook Pros being any good.
    But, the sales are down because everyone knows their laptops are complete dumpster fires. If they stopped screwing up and laughably overcharging for a broken pile of crap, they could start snapping up real market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    But, the sales are down because everyone knows their laptops are complete dumpster fires. If they stopped screwing up and laughably overcharging for a broken pile of crap, they could start snapping up real market share.
    Yeah but revenue per unit is up! This is what Apple have been focusing on lately.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    I still really like my 2014 MBP, not had any issues with it and when I bought it a similarly specced Dell was between £60-80 cheaper dependent on the day I checked the prices. With that said... every new generation since then has given me nothing until the newest gen which can now handle 32Gb RAM. At the price they're asking I'll squeeze another year or 2 out of this one, I think...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information