Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung 4TB QLC SSDs enter mass production

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung 4TB QLC SSDs enter mass production

These 2.5-inch SATA 3 drives offer 540MB/s read, 520MB/s write, with a 3 year warranty.
    Read more.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Samsung 4TB QLC SSDs enter mass production

Pity no prices on these! My concern with SSD's in general is still lifetime and failure mode - they seem to fail suddenly without the warning signs you get with conventional drives.

I guss RAID1 with devices added from different batches (or with different use) would help (ie, start on off with a degraded array - just one drive in it - then add the second after 6 months so there is a difference in lifetime on the basis that the older one will fail first so it can be swapped out in good time)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Any mention of QLC seems to be met by panic about endurance, but I don't think people are taking into account that this is still V-NAND and the cell size is much bigger than it was for the last generations of planar nand. I've read in quite a few places that 3D TLC tends to have higher endurance than something like 15nm planar MLC - if people were fine with planar MLC's endurance there's really no reason to panic over 3D TLC.

Programming time on the other hand might be an issue, but would likely be hidden by SLC caching for most consumer workloads outside of writing massive files from another fast SSD.

OTOH it's definitely nice to still have a choice of MLC for applications which demand it - it's not that hard for someone moving a ton of e.g. video files to burn through a TLC drive's rated cycles in a few years, so I'm not saying it's a non-issue.

I do wonder how much cheaper they will actually be give you only get ~33% more storage vs TLC and has greater controller demands? There surely has to be a point where diminishing returns becomes a real problem when faced with slower performance and endurance which tails off far more rapidly than capacity increases.

Edit: Cross-post. Yeah I agree peterb, something a bit frightening about SSDs is their unique ability to nuke their entire contents almost instantly through e.g. controller bugs, and the way they works makes recovery extremely difficult even if the data itself is untouched on the NAND. HDDs can't really fail like that - even with a head crash you'll lose some data, but the rest of the platters should be fine and recoverable if necessary. Making out like HDDs are all bad just isn't looking at the whole picture IMO.

Thanks

This is why I have robust backup procedures. Boot drive is ssd but main big storage drives are hdd's. Best of both worlds...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    This is why I have robust backup procedures. Boot drive is ssd but main big storage drives are hdd's. Best of both worlds...
    Likewise - and I will take a clone of the boot drive on a 2.5" hdd, so that if/when the SSD does fail, IO can swap it out without needing to reload/reconfigure the OS and its applications.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

So your PC could stop booting without warning and your main storage is slow and having two storage devices basically doubles your chance of seeing a failure and giving an overall system that is neither cheap not fast. Worst of both worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Likewise - and I will take a clone of the boot drive on a 2.5" hdd, so that if/when the SSD does fail, IO can swap it out without needing to reload/reconfigure the OS and its applications.
    I presume you would do that with a boot HDD, and that isn't anything special about SSDs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    So your PC could stop booting without warning and your main storage is slow and having two storage devices basically doubles your chance of seeing a failure and giving an overall system that is neither cheap not fast. Worst of both worlds?
    lol nope - as said I've got regular clones of boot drive. Most data I need is stored on NAS. I'm happy with how it's working

8. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (07-08-2018)

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

lol nope - as said I've got regular clones of boot drive. Most data I need is stored on NAS. I'm happy with how it's working
    Fair enough. I just boggle at people who seem to back up SSDs because they are new and scary, like hard disks never fail.

I have had one of the supposedly worst SSDs ever (an OCZ from their dark days) glitch but a firmware update brought it back and it has been fine ever since, otherwise I believe I have been the victim of HDD failure from every brand you can remember but so far I am thrashing SSDs to heck and back with no issue. I am slowly purging the house of spinning rust, apart from the house server where I can't afford 8TB of SSD and over a 1Gbit network connection the speed isn't so critical. It's somewhere to back up to.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Oh goodie, an affordable steam drive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Fair enough. I just boggle at people who seem to back up SSDs because they are new and scary, like hard disks never fail.

I have had one of the supposedly worst SSDs ever (an OCZ from their dark days) glitch but a firmware update brought it back and it has been fine ever since, otherwise I believe I have been the victim of HDD failure from every brand you can remember but so far I am thrashing SSDs to heck and back with no issue. I am slowly purging the house of spinning rust, apart from the house server where I can't afford 8TB of SSD and over a 1Gbit network connection the speed isn't so critical. It's somewhere to back up to.
    Boot drive is an OCZ lol!

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Boot drive is an OCZ lol!
    Erm, a Vertex with the Sandforce controller?

Edit: actually thinking about it the Corsair Force drive was the one with the Sandforce controller that needed resurrecting, the supposedly bad OCZ hasn't skipped a beat. I actually went for an interview at OCZ and used the laptop with that Vertex drive in it for a presentation, would have been an amusing discussion if it failed at that point
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 07-08-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Wrong drive :)

Thanks

I presume you would do that with a boot HDD, and that isn't anything special about SSDs?
    Less likely, because a HDD usually gives some warning of impending failure - an SSD is more likely to fail with little warning. But most of my data is stored on RAID 1 on a a server which is backed up. It's the boot drive on the server I clone.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Less likely, because a HDD usually gives some warning of impending failure - an SSD is more likely to fail with little warning. But most of my data is stored on RAID 1 on a a server which is backed up. It's the boot drive on the server I clone.
    Had a fair few hdd's just fail with no warning as well. Just sayin

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    something a bit frightening about SSDs is their unique ability to nuke their entire contents almost instantly through e.g. controller bugs, and the way they works makes recovery extremely difficult even if the data itself is untouched on the NAND. HDDs can't really fail like that - even with a head crash you'll lose some data, but the rest of the platters should be fine and recoverable if necessary. Making out like HDDs are all bad just isn't looking at the whole picture IMO.
    There is a reason you can buy HDD controller boards on eBay......they do go just like SSD controllers...

I've replaced a number of them over the years to recover data from a drive or even resurrect a dead drive. There is even a company in Canada who will clone a HDD controller for you for a very reasonable price, so guessing its a fairly well used service for a fairly common fault.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

My concern with SSD's in general is still lifetime and failure mode - they seem to fail suddenly without the warning signs you get with conventional drives.
    Oh, HDDs give warnings? I've never seen a warning come from any HDD failure I've ever seen in the past.

At least in the meantime I've found out that HWInfo64 gives an indication of remaining life of drives with smart reporting, SSD or HDD. Overall though I can't say I'm concerned remotely, considering I always backup my important files on a regular basis (great habit to get into), plus a clean install on SSDs is pretty damn quick nowadays, unlike back when I used HDDs.

Also considering lifetime is an issue to you, I'm running the very same SSDs in Raid 0 that I built my PC with 6-7 years ago, without any issues so far. I really think doing some research prior to purchasing them helps weed out those with potential reliability problems. That goes for both SSDs and HDDs alike I guess, but I'm unlikely to return to HDDs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Oh, HDDs give warnings? I've never seen a warning come from any HDD failure I've ever seen in the past.
    SMART reporting usually gives some indication - sector reallocation is a strong clue.

At least in the meantime I've found out that HWInfo64 gives an indication of remaining life of drives with smart reporting, SSD or HDD.
    Exactly - although I suggest the warning with an SSD is likely to be less than with a hard drive which tend to degrade gracefully (with re-allocated sectors) rather than a sudden catastrophic failure. Of course HDDs can fail catastrophically, but I suggest it is less likely.

Overall though I can't say I'm concerned remotely, considering I always backup my important files on a regular basis (great habit to get into), plus a clean install on SSDs is pretty damn quick nowadays, unlike back when I used HDDs.
    The OS might be, but its configuring the various applications that takes the time, mail servers, web servers etc - although backing up the configuration files can speed up re-installation (usually in /etc )

Also considering lifetime is an issue to you, I'm running the very same SSDs in Raid 0 that I built my PC with 6-7 years ago, without any issues so far. I really think doing some research prior to purchasing them helps weed out those with potential reliability problems. That goes for both SSDs and HDDs alike I guess, but I'm unlikely to return to HDDs.
    I'm very pleased for you! However statics apply to populations, not individuals.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

18. Received thanks from:

Iota (07-08-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information