Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung launches the Galaxy Note9 with 6.4-inch screen

Thanks

Re: Samsung launches the Galaxy Note9 with 6.4-inch screen

When I say there hasn't been much innovation in the last 5-10yrs, this is how I see it:

Camera
    The last proper innovation in mobile phone photography was Nokia Pureview 808. I still take it with me (alongside S7) because it takes amazing photos in many situations that still look good on 50 inch screen. All these flagship cameras look good on 6 inch screen but look rubbish when you put them on 30+ inch one. The quality hasn't changed much since LG G2 5 yrs ago

Battery life
    Has been stagnant or even deteriorating. My S7 gets 3.5h sot on custom rom dark theme and what nots. A joke.

OS
    Android came a long way from 10yrs ago but stopped really delivering any improvements for the consumer ~5yrs ago. It seems like all they do is change icons shape each time...I'm sure they do stuff we don't know about (like algorithms that record our usage/data) but I prefer to see user friendly changes that make difference for me not the corporation

Screen
    Quality improved a bit but nothing special

Sound
    Quality pretty much the same

Xfactor
    something innovative like various gestures and actions you can assign. Not much to be honest. The biggest one I can think of is waterproofing. More usefull than I thought (in a peace of mind kind of way). There has been so many gimmicks...Silicon Valley corporate hippies trying to convince us that they found a solution to a problem....a problem we never had and a solution we naver asked for. Still waiting for a shatterproof screen not guerilla glass b'llocks branding

Other
    There's been a bunch of step backs. like getting rid of 3.5mm port, notch, curved screen, obsession with trimming bezels etc.

also, I miss blackberry ;-)

Thanks
    • Lord Midas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 9700k w/ Corsair H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 8GB x 2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 + 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX 2080 TURBO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" - 3440x1440
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - Speakers: Pair of Adam T5V

If it's like the Note 1 or Note 4 I used to own then all this shiny tech will be for nought. Give it 6 months and it'll start grinding its wheels and become a frustration to use.

After going to Google Pixel XL I've never looked back. It's as fast and slick as the day I got it a year and a half ago.
    Kickstarters Pledged:
    Godus Stonehearth Rain World Satellite Reign

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

Samsung saves costs by producing and licencing own tech. Phones increase in price to ludicrous levels...

Sorry, but this much on a phone is just stupid. But hey, if you can afford to throw £999+ away every 2/3 years (excluding extras) then I just cannot relate to you.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

When I was looking for a new phone a while back the S8 was just out (a few months). I did a load of maths on various options and rang up Vodafone armed with all the various deals that were around and I basically said I was more than happy to get an S7 outright and buy a cheaper SIM only deal. I listed to them the various contract options available blah blah blah and the end result was they simply applied the maximum discount they could to retain me without going any further. I ended up getting an S8 for effectively under £500 (about £480ish) when it was a newly released flagship.

I'm no negotiator, I simply went in knowing I could walk, I didn't want the top of the range phone and nor did I need it and I had researched the market. Given this phone was nearly £700 at that point, it really shows the margin they are making that they could offer that S8 cheaper than the S7 at that point.

There was also a little issue with Carphone Warehouse which means I'll never use them again but that's another story for another day. Suffice to say their sales technique... needs work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Entry price of $1000 (that will be £1000 then...).... I'm sorry but who in their right minds thinks that sort of price is 'acceptable' for a mobile phone.

I don't care how much stuff they shove into it, there's no way on this planet I would pay more than I would for a mid/high laptop etc, for around £1000 I can get a i5 8GB surface pro etc which would be a hell of a lot more productive.

"Mobile phones" haven't been mobile phones for a very long time. They are a computer in your pocket. Samsung is arguably the best mobile _device_ maker currently. At this point I really refuse to call them 'phones' because they are so much more now.

You say you'd pay a grand for an i5 w/8g and get more done, but I argue you can get exactly the same amount done by doing nothing more than docking the device. When you're done, you put it in your pocket and continue about your day. Can't do that with your surface pro!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaMoot View Post
    "Mobile phones" haven't been mobile phones for a very long time. They are a computer in your pocket. Samsung is arguably the best mobile _device_ maker currently. At this point I really refuse to call them 'phones' because they are so much more now.

You say you'd pay a grand for an i5 w/8g and get more done, but I argue you can get exactly the same amount done by doing nothing more than docking the device. When you're done, you put it in your pocket and continue about your day. Can't do that with your surface pro!
    I'd argue that - at the end of the day, its just another Android device - there are lots of Android devices that will do what the Samsung device does. That doesn't make it a 'bad' device - far from it - but to say it is the best is very open ended. Best value for money - probably not. Better than any other at sending e mail, browsing the web, interacting with social media? Id suggest no better or worse than any other Android device. So to call it 'the best' is certainly a point for debate!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Muaadib's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD, WD Blue 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • His IceQ X2 OC R9 290 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12ii 620w
      • Case:
      • CiT Gforce
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 40J5100 LED TV
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL

I tried to like these "big" phones but for the life of me i just can't. Are all flagships now 6"+?

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Muaadib View Post
    I tried to like these "big" phones but for the life of me i just can't. Are all flagships now 6"+?
    Pretty much, although I've found the S8 more usable than most given the funky aspect ratio. S8+ was impossible to use. Swings and roundabouts really - better for some things, worse for others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information