• Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: Nvidia unveils the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, RTX 2080, and RTX 2070

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    That's not quite how I read Phils comment. It's more that Nvidia have created this brand new tech but have priced it out so high adoption is going to be deterred.
    Yep. Devs won't put time and effort into high end stuff only a small percentage has when that time can be spent optimising the results from the more widespread tech. The way you change a market is by taking a risk and encouraging mass adoption - the rewards are huge but the risk is high also. Here, Nvidia are offloading the risk onto early adopters.

And when I say about new features I'm not just on about the raytracing - that's the most obvious one and we know there will be DirectX support for it so that's not so bad. Their stupid new metric that they've invented to make it look 6x better than the previous generation is just annoying marketing rubbish. There are other things they have done with their "AI" cores which will need coding for I'm sure. Will devs bother if the tech is confined to only a small percentage of the market? Of course not. If you want to change the market (as they admit they do), you need to accept there's a financial risk involved and you have to shoulder that risk. Increasing the prices to put the risk on the enthusiastic early adopters will reduce market uptake and reduce the chance of your project working. This kind of disruption is about flooding the market with compatible products at reasonable prices and then devs will pick up on the tech.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

I hope nVidia get stung when the competition finally arrives, whatever form it's in. This is totally predictable.. and yet still absurdity.

Did I miss something or is there no mention of standard TFLOPS? Every feature and metric they measured this with was an abstraction, and compared only (favourably, biased) against Pascal. Not that Pascal has any serious rivals.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

The problem is these will sell by the bucket load completely validating the price.

Will stay with my RX580.

Thanks
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

We need to see the actual performance comparisons before really making a decision on the price. If it turns out the 2070 wipes the floor with the 1080ti then prices are OK, but I doubt it.

I've recently built a new PC but stuck with the 980 for now, I can probably stay with this until I move up to a large 4k monitor (unless developers really start pushing the new RTX facilities).

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by gordon861 View Post
    We need to see the actual performance comparisons before really making a decision on the price. If it turns out the 2070 wipes the floor with the 1080ti then prices are OK, but I doubt it.
    Even then, normally new releases cost roughly/relatively the same as the launch price of the model it replaced. It seems that recently they have realised they don't need to do that any more and can just keep adding $100+ to each new generation.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    I hope nVidia get stung when the competition finally arrives, whatever form it's in. This is totally predictable.. and yet still absurdity.

Did I miss something or is there no mention of standard TFLOPS? Every feature and metric they measured this with was an abstraction, and compared only (favourably, biased) against Pascal. Not that Pascal has any serious rivals.
    Single Precision Perf. 13.4 TFLOPs 10.1 TFLOPs 7.5 TFLOPs 8.9 TFLOPs

TI, 2080, 2070, 1080 respectively. 14TFLOPS for the FE on the RTX2080ti (due to higher clocks).

At the risk of being stoned to death i'm thinking of taking a FE TI as a replacement for SLI 1080s. To my mind the 1080ti was a nice bump over the 1080 and the 2080ti one above that. I can also get the card considerably cheaper than usual..
    Last edited by dangel; 21-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

7. Received thanks from:

Ozaron (21-08-2018)

Thanks

Oh nice! Time to buy a $1200 GPU that uses 30% of its silicon for 98% of the games that will be released in the coming years! Time to win the lottery or rob a bank because common sense is dead

Thanks

Think about it this way: NVidia is doing society a favor by making gaming too expensive for the average teen.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
    Think about it this way: NVidia is doing society a favor by making gaming too expensive for the average teen.
    I don't know - having seen the phones some teenagers seem to carry!

But on a more serious note - the fact that newer (shinier!) cards have been released doesn't mean the existing ones stop working overnight (unless Nvidia has incorporated a kill switch) so what was good enough yesterday is still good enough today. It may not be good enough in a year (or two years time) but that depends on what you are doing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Yep. Devs won't put time and effort into high end stuff only a small percentage has when that time can be spent optimising the results from the more widespread tech. The way you change a market is by taking a risk and encouraging mass adoption - the rewards are huge but the risk is high also. Here, Nvidia are offloading the risk onto early adopters.

And when I say about new features I'm not just on about the raytracing - that's the most obvious one and we know there will be DirectX support for it so that's not so bad. Their stupid new metric that they've invented to make it look 6x better than the previous generation is just annoying marketing rubbish. There are other things they have done with their "AI" cores which will need coding for I'm sure. Will devs bother if the tech is confined to only a small percentage of the market? Of course not. If you want to change the market (as they admit they do), you need to accept there's a financial risk involved and you have to shoulder that risk. Increasing the prices to put the risk on the enthusiastic early adopters will reduce market uptake and reduce the chance of your project working. This kind of disruption is about flooding the market with compatible products at reasonable prices and then devs will pick up on the tech.
    But early adopters always take a risk, either financial, or risk that there won't be followers and the new tech will die a death. I tend not to adopt new technology until it has been established for at least 12 months or more, usually because what I have is good enough and the new tech (unless its something really significant) rarely justifies the risk - financial or technical.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I don't know - having seen the phones some teenagers seem to carry!

But on a more serious note - the fact that newer (shinier!) cards have been released doesn't mean the existing ones stop working overnight (unless Nvidia has incorporated a kill switch) so what was good enough yesterday is still good enough today. It may not be good enough in a year (or two years time) but that depends on what you are doing with it.
    This is an important consideration. I'm usually struggling on top end games by the time I'm two generations behind (970), but I'm not currently (although I'll admit I'm behind on my gaming). Even if the bar is raised with these chips, there is plenty of time for prices and competition to change before I have to upgrade.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

But early adopters always take a risk, either financial, or risk that there won't be followers and the new tech will die a death.
    But this is not your standard early adopter risk, this is Nvidia coming out and saying they want to totally disrupt the market and change how games are made. Early adopters will be few and far between. If you want to achieve their goals with widespread disruption you can't expect the average Joe to take on the early adopter risk, you have to do it as the company in order to ensure the market is saturated with the product to a degree with means your goals are achievable. They're wanting their cake and to eat it by changing the market but pushing the risk onto the average consumer. That's different to standard early adopter risk.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    But this is not your standard early adopter risk, this is Nvidia coming out and saying they want to totally disrupt the market and change how games are made. Early adopters will be few and far between. If you want to achieve their goals with widespread disruption you can't expect the average Joe to take on the early adopter risk, you have to do it as the company in order to ensure the market is saturated with the product to a degree with means your goals are achievable. They're wanting their cake and to eat it by changing the market but pushing the risk onto the average consumer. That's different to standard early adopter risk.
    Only to a degree - and it is assuming that there will be early adoption. Current cards don't stop working overnight so the risk Nvidia are taking is that there will be early adopters. Of course they will be subsidising to developers to create applications that take advantage of the unique properties of the card - but that is a risk too - if consumers are happy with existing products, they won't buy either.

Of course there will always be some who want the latest and greatest regardless... but then "fools rush in where angels fear to tread".

And it comes down to numbers.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Of course there will always be some who want the latest and greatest regardless... but then "fools rush in where angels fear to tread".
    ...well considering my username, I'm perhaps both
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

One particularly bad thing is that the 2080 & 2080ti both being on the t104 chip, that's the second tier, they've dropped everything down Another tier meaning they're gonna screw the early adopters over again in 6 months or so with the full t100 chip.
    To compound this it means that the 2070 is most likely on the t106, the chip that was designed to go into the **60 class for the last couple gens, and before that was the **50 class.
    They keep putting lower and lower tier chips into higher tier cards. Can't wait for the AdoredTV spin on this.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by zaph0d View Post
    They keep putting lower and lower tier chips into higher tier cards.
    So by definition, aren't they now higher tier chips then?

17. Received thanks from:

Hoonigan (21-08-2018)

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zaph0d View Post
    They keep putting lower and lower tier chips into higher tier cards.
    So by definition, aren't they now higher tier chips then?
    No - it's like putting a Fiat engine in a Ferrari, you wouldn't call that a high tier engine just because it's in a more expensive car would you?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information