Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 50 per cent faster than GTX 1080

Thanks

Re: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 50 per cent faster than GTX 1080

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Certain members of the tech press have warned gamers "to eat their words" and to make sure they accept the price increases.

Most people are complaining how much more the cards cost,not they will be faster or have shiny new tech.

Even 50% faster at 50% more cost,is not great as price/performance has stagnated.
    Yeah I don't think I've seen any comments saying they'll be 'slow' (they shouldn't be at the price), I've seen plenty saying the prices are a joke and questioning the 'marketing' that's been released because it's basically empty of any real 'evidence' so not sure how we'll be 'eating our words' unless they magically chop a third of the price off....

Also have to laugh at that comment from Hardware Canucks... they have been 'briefed' about the full performance so basically they're just taking what Nvidia says (ie the 'marketing') and accepting it without any in house testing.

2. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (23-08-2018)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Yeah I don't think I've seen any comments saying they'll be 'slow' (they shouldn't be at the price), I've seen plenty saying the prices are a joke and questioning the 'marketing' that's been released because it's basically empty of any real 'evidence' so not sure how we'll be 'eating our words' unless they magically chop a third of the price off....

Also have to laugh at that comment from Hardware Canucks... they have been 'briefed' about the full performance so basically they're just taking what Nvidia says (ie the 'marketing') and accepting it without any in house testing.
    He basically has implied already by his attitude he will give it 10/10 based on what Nvidia shown him,so whether or not the cards are the next 8800GTX,that is one site people should ignore methinks.

Before testing he has decided its 100% so why should he bother reviewing stuff??

Now he is saying the RTX2070 beats a Titan X - if he is given figures how can he break NDA unless Nvidia said OK??

But look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162DeB3xbqk

Nvidia sponsored trip to Gamescon,and then tells people to more or less pre-order the cards. Just,wow.

What is wrong with these people. At least test the card and then say something.

Have they forgotten they are supposed to represent the consumer's interests??
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 23-08-2018 at 02:45 AM.

4. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-08-2018),Iota (23-08-2018),Phage (23-08-2018),philehidiot (23-08-2018)

Thanks

Well, I will reserve judgement until I see finalised independent reviews, but if it is close, then I will be excited.

My laptop is 7.5 years old now, with the graphic card the weak link as I have to UC it as much as allowed to prevent overheating. I probably would have bought a 10 series based laptop if I knew the tech was going to freeze for over two years (on laptops), and though there is still no words on 20 series mobile GPU, I guess the wait is coming to an end.

If it is too expensive, then I will snatch a 10-series laptop which I expect will see price drops. And if I can afford it, then the performance gain I experience would be monstrous.

I am kind of used to seeing ~15% gains nowadays, so 50% would be quite something. Yes, I might not be as interested if an upgrade wasn't long overdue, I can see why seeing a card that (presumably under the best circumstances) have performance increase matching the price increase after all this time would feel underwhelming, but it has been so long since I spent money on a PC and it seems like the days of ultra competitive GPU market is long gone.

(Also, I wonder if we can except a 50% price increase across the board, or if the price value would improve on 2070 and below; I don't have much issue on flagship products commending a premium for people who can afford the "best" at any cost especially there is still something good and better value down the line)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Well, I will reserve judgement until I see finalised independent reviews, but if it is close, then I will be excited.

My laptop is 7.5 years old now, with the graphic card the weak link as I have to UC it as much as allowed to prevent overheating. I probably would have bought a 10 series based laptop if I knew the tech was going to freeze for over two years (on laptops), and though there is still no words on 20 series mobile GPU, I guess the wait is coming to an end.

If it is too expensive, then I will snatch a 10-series laptop which I expect will see price drops. And if I can afford it, then the performance gain I experience would be monstrous.

I am kind of used to seeing ~15% gains nowadays, so 50% would be quite something. Yes, I might not be as interested if an upgrade wasn't long overdue, I can see why seeing a card that (presumably under the best circumstances) have performance increase matching the price increase after all this time would feel underwhelming, but it has been so long since I spent money on a PC and it seems like the days of ultra competitive GPU market is long gone.

(Also, I wonder if we can except a 50% price increase across the board, or if the price value would improve on 2070 and below; I don't have much issue on flagship products commending a premium for people who can afford the "best" at any cost especially there is still something good and better value down the line)
    I think after 7.5 years I probably would wait for the mobile Turing cards,but looking at the TDPs,etc I suspect they will be TU106 variants and cut down TU104 variants.

I think the biggest two issues are:
    1.)The price increase.
    2.)How useful the RTX tech will be in its first generation and what has been given up to achieve it.

Thanks

He basically has implied already by his attitude he will give it 10/10 based on what Nvidia shown him,so whether or not the cards are the next 8800GTX,that is one site people should ignore methinks.

Before testing he has decided its 100% so why should he bother reviewing stuff??

Now he is saying the RTX2070 beats a Titan X - if he is given figures how can he break NDA unless Nvidia said OK??

But look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162DeB3xbqk

Nvidia sponsored trip to Gamescon,and then tells people to more or less pre-order the cards. Just,wow.

What is wrong with these people. At least test the card and then say something.

Have they forgotten they are supposed to represent the consumer's interests??

I don't know if you've watched JayzTwoCents' video, but he gives a pretty good synopsis of the situation.

- Don't preorder (in fact, never preorder anything ever)
    - Wait for results
    - Don't preorder
    - This is new tech that has yet to mature
    - Don't preorder

8. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (23-08-2018)

Thanks
    • Dave_07's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99A Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5930k (6 core) @ 4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 2800Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500Gb SSD's (Raid 0)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x SLI MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000w PSU
      • Case:
      • Corsair C70
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • G-Sync AOC G2460PG 1080p and LG Flatron W2261VP
      • Internet:
      • 17.5Mb Broadband.

Question:
    Ray-tracing sounds like something that is going to need up-take in therms of games geared more towards using it in a manor that the RTX range can excel at.. is that right ?
    Intel Core i7 5930k @ 3.7Ghz Turbo
    MSI X99A Gaming 7
    16Gb Corsair DDR4 2667Mhz
    2x SLI MSI GTX 980
    2x 500Gb SSD's (Raid 0)
    EVGA 1000w PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
    G-Sync AOC G2460PG 1080p
    LG Flatron W2261VP

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Some perspective:

- If these cards are 50% quicker that's good for everyone.

- Yes the prices are terrible - this is bad for end users.

Yet it seems the latter means we don't want the former based on the comments.. Interesting conflict!

On pre orders - so I've pre ordered a TI (yes i eat babies for dinner every night) - what's my risk? Not much, bad reviews = cancel pre order. Bad reviews once they ship = return card.
    However, for perspective, I want to move off SLI'd 1080's to a single card - and the 1080ti is too slow (I went SLI'd 1080s on release for a reason).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_07 View Post
    Question:
    Ray-tracing sounds like something that is going to need up-take in therms of games geared more towards using it in a manor that the RTX range can excel at.. is that right ?
    If I've understood correctly, yes and no.

The things that make up RTX (the realtime ray tracing, DLSS) do need to be implemented (programed) into games but games don't need to be geared towards those features, the realtime ray tracing part can be used on anything and everything from casting shadows via a single light source such as the sun to reflecting the players character in panes of glass or puddles of water.

How much difference it will actually make is another matter entirely though, over the years developers have learn't some really clever techniques that makes scenes more believable so the differences between a realtime ray traced scene and a normal one may not, in the end, make much difference unless you go looking for it.

The other part of RTX, Deep Learning Super Sampling could, oddly enough, be a bigger game changer as when/if combined with upsampling it could allow a game to be rendered in a low resoulotion to maintain good framerates and upsampled to 4k or more without degrading the image quality.

Registered+
    Thanks

Looks like I'll be keeping with my 970 for a few generations yet. They've had all this time to milk the 10 series, bask in crypto demand and very little competition and 50% price increase for 50% performance best case scenario? No thanks, increasing performance linearly with a price % increase is an exponential increase in price every generation. RTX2180 with mad 50% gains over 2080?!?! therefore $1200 usd? 4 generations in and a GT210 equivalent would be $300.
    Desperately need some competition. Fortunately most the triple A game titles these days are meh, hopefully we have a long period of amazing indie games so that graphics card demand dies until they get realistic with their prices.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

It doesn't matter if it's amazingly powerful. I could go out and buy a supercomputer and it'd be amazingly powerful. The difference is that a supercomputer is priced out of my ability to afford it. And these journalists are really seeming more like car journalists with the first class trips, agreeable dinners, etc... you're always going to say it's amazing because you want to be on the next trip.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's amazingly powerful. I could go out and buy a supercomputer and it'd be amazingly powerful. The difference is that a supercomputer is priced out of my ability to afford it. And these journalists are really seeming more like car journalists with the first class trips, agreeable dinners, etc... you're always going to say it's amazing because you want to be on the next trip.
    Been like that for years tbf but with the price increses you can increase the benefits
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-turing-g...gram-detailed/

Interesting, and the 'scanner' overclocking isn't something I'd heard of either.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    Some perspective:

- If these cards are 50% quicker that's good for everyone.

- Yes the prices are terrible - this is bad for end users.

Yet it seems the latter means we don't want the former based on the comments.. Interesting conflict!

On pre orders - so I've pre ordered a TI (yes i eat babies for dinner every night) - what's my risk? Not much, bad reviews = cancel pre order. Bad reviews once they ship = return card.
    However, for perspective, I want to move off SLI'd 1080's to a single card - and the 1080ti is too slow (I went SLI'd 1080s on release for a reason).
    No I think you are misreading things - people want the former. But they don't want the latter for a good reason. If say the cards are 50% faster but cost 50% more,could you imagine how that would work with tech in general?? GTX3080 will not be £750,but £1025 and be 50% faster and the GTX4080 will £1538 and 50% more faster and so on.

Also look down the range - a $250 to $300 GTX1060,was significantly more expensive than the $200 and under GTX960. Now imagine if GTX2060 is 50% faster than a GTX1060 but now costs $375 to $450. That is now where the GTX1070 used to be. Then if the GTX1050TI replacement is 50% faster and costs 50% more,it pushes it to the GTX1060 level,and basically means it will cost the same as the GTX1060 and be more or less the same performance.

This is why under £300 we have gone from the £200 to £250ish GTX970/R9 290 to the £200 to £250ish GTX1060/RX580 in around 4 years. Sure you can take currency fluctuates into account too,but it should still stand.

Its down the range where these increases hit worse.

Edit!!

If the RTX2070 was £600 but was twice as fast in normal games(without RTX and upscaling which most won't support),against a sub £400 GTX1070,then even if the price hike was 50% the performance would be doubled,which would make it 25% faster per pound. If it was 50% faster for 50% more money its the same price/performance as Pascal. If it is less than 50% faster on average than its worse price/performance.

If money is no object then sure you can just look at the performance uplift alone,but again not sure if that applies for many.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 23-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.

17. Received thanks from:

Iota (23-08-2018)

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

No I think you are misreading things - people want the former. .
    I don't think we fundamentally disagree - but I do think people would like the cards to suck on performance and price period (reading round) simply as they're not affordable to most. And I totally get that because the (hoped) effect is that NV have to drop pricing (and as you say midrange knock on would be horrible for the majority of buyers who don't go top end).
    Hence I think it's an interesting conflict (brexit scale) on most forums right now as an observation. If they'd launched just a 2080 and a Titan (instead of calling it 2080ti) would it of changed things? Just pondering, in the age of $1000 phones..

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I don't think we fundamentally disagree - but I do think people would like the cards to suck on performance and price period (reading round) simply as they're not affordable to most. And I totally get that because the (hoped) effect is that NV have to drop pricing (and as you say midrange knock on would be horrible for the majority of buyers who don't go top end).
    Hence I think it's an interesting conflict (brexit scale) on most forums right now as an observation.
    I think you are underestimating how pissed off people got with mining jacking up card prices in the first place and it seemed pricing was starting to get back to RRP. Usually prices drop below launch RRP after two years,but they have not - for instance I got the best RX470/RX570 card for less in 2016 than an average one now with a stronger pound.

Now Turing is out people were expecting improvement in price/performance but now it's more increased pricing,which means the older GPUs won't get a price cut - its rather cunning from Nvidia as they did apparently overstock cards due to mining and now they can clear the Pascal stocks with minimal discounting and some stores like OcUK have said as much that prices won't drop anymore.

Now add that to the general anger with RAM pricing going up,and its starting to all generally grate on people,especially those who do need to upgrade,and are not on a massively flexible budget.

If they'd launched just a 2080 and a Titan (instead of calling it 2080ti) would it of changed things? Just pondering, in the age of $1000 phones..
    AFAIK the RTX2080TI is apparently uses a cut down GPU meaning there is a space for a Titan XT. However,even if that doesn't happen,what happens in the next few generations?? If moving up the 80TI series to $1200 works,what happens during the GTX3080TI era?? Is that $1200 or even more?? Will the Titan XT2 cost $2000??

Another issue is people are a bit worried by Nvidia launching is biggest GPU of a new generation first,which has not happened since Fermi.

Hence,people are wondering whether the series will be relatively short lived.

20. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-08-2018)

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaCarter View Post
    Looks like I'll be keeping with my 970 for a few generations yet. They've had all this time to milk the 10 series, bask in crypto demand and very little competition and 50% price increase for 50% performance best case scenario? No thanks, increasing performance linearly with a price % increase is an exponential increase in price every generation. RTX2180 with mad 50% gains over 2080?!?! therefore $1200 usd? 4 generations in and a GT210 equivalent would be $300.
    Desperately need some competition. Fortunately most the triple A game titles these days are meh, hopefully we have a long period of amazing indie games so that graphics card demand dies until they get realistic with their prices.
    Indeed, jacking up prices just because performance increases isn't how progress in electronics development works. An massive increase in profits suggest that nvidia are in a comfortable position where they can simply charge what they want due to ineffective competition.

I'm with you on sticking with a 970 - I baulked at the prices of the 1070, they're still unreasonable, the 2070 is laughably so.

But like you, I can't recall any AAA game that has piqued my interest recently. Battlefield looks pretty, but the game play hasn't really evolved since Battlefield 2 (regressed if anything), and I find that boring now. Tomb Raider is the only one that has caught my eye, but then I'm not sure enough to warrant over £500 on a GPU (or even over £300 on a GPU).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information