Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 47

Thread: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,842 times in 625 posts

    EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    The December vote to enforce 30 per cent local content is just a formality, says official.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    But why though?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    30 times in 26 posts
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix Advanced GTX1080
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Guess which shows will be the bottom 30% by views?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Easiest way to make sure the 30% is reached, remove other content so we will get screwed over, yet again.

  5. #5
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Let me see if I've got this right.

    The EU wants to force a subscription-based service to include a large chunk of "local" content, whether subscribers want it or not.

    Then, they want to impose a surcharge, which of course, gets passed right on to subscribers, to fund local content?


    Makes me glad I don't (currently) subscribe to either.

    IMHO, content should be added to such services if users want it.

    So, let users opt-in or opt-out, and see how many want this extra "local" content .... and will pay for it.,

  6. #6
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,909
    Thanks
    2,693
    Thanked
    3,240 times in 2,568 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    What do they designate as 'local'? Local to the country in which the service is delivered or content produced in the EU? Seems to be a protectionist political measure rather than one for the consumers.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,716
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked
    339 times in 237 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by Usernamist View Post
    But why though?
    I think it's to do with making sure 'local' content creators can maintain revenue streams, it seems to be a less extreme version of the The Cairncross Review, both ‘high-quality journalism’ (UK governments own words) and 'local' (ITV, CH5 in the UK, TV channels supported via advertising in the rest of the EU) have seen declines in revenue in recent years because of people have switched to streaming and online content.

    Both the UK and the EU are grappling with how they should deal with what they see as the impending death, or at least threats to the financial sustainability, of 'traditional' media and journalism.

  8. #8
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    What do they designate as 'local'? Local to the country in which the service is delivered or content produced in the EU? Seems to be a protectionist political measure rather than one for the consumers.
    Dunno, but the article mentions country-specific sub-quotas, so it appears not. It's wider than that.

    Given that it's EU rules, I guess "local" means inside the EU .... mainly as opposed to American.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    28,960
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked
    2,894 times in 2,343 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    I guess it's a bit like the rules in some EU countries saying that their equivalent of the premier league teams have to have a certain proportion of national players.

  10. #10
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I think it's to do with making sure 'local' content creators can maintain revenue streams, it seems to be a less extreme version of the The Cairncross Review, both ‘high-quality journalism’ (UK governments own words) and 'local' (ITV, CH5 in the UK, TV channels supported via advertising in the rest of the EU) have seen declines in revenue in recent years because of people have switched to streaming and online content.

    Both the UK and the EU are grappling with how they should deal with what they see as the impending death of 'traditional' media and journalism.
    That could well be. But I question whether the principle set for public broadcastets should apply to subscription services.

    It's kinda like the government deciding that supermarkets have to add 10% of the value of your shpping basket, and use it to supply you with healthy fruit and veg - whether you want it or not.

  11. #11
    Editable... jimbouk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,538
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked
    185 times in 146 posts
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5 A97 R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon HD 7870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W
      • Case:
      • Some large ATX case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • Orange...

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by Usernamist View Post
    But why though?
    To ensure that the culture of the EU is not decimated by imports. To align streaming services with broadcast services. To protect the language of countries and regions in the EU.

  12. #12
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    934
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    166 times in 125 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Why must they ALWAYS interfere? If people don't want it because there's only US content (from a US company) then they won't buy it! Stop poking your protectionist noses into everything. If there is a demand for consumers for services that stream local content then a business will open to serve the market. What they're doing is ensuring these smaller businesses won't open because now the big boys are being forced into supplying that service... for which I assume there is little demand. Why is there little demand? Because people have TVs and local broadcasting.

    I tried to access a website for a large US newspaper yesterday (can't remember which one) and there was a block page saying that they could not show their content in the EU due to all the regulations. All this regulatory burden is NOT HELPING CONSUMERS. Since when did anyone mess with their cookie settings for individual sites? It's just another annoying warning message that most people don't understand and everyone just clicks "okay" to but costs websites a fortune in compliance. Utter nonsense.

  13. Received thanks from:

    aidanjt (04-09-2018),aramil (05-09-2018),Saracen (04-09-2018)

  14. #13
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    To ensure that the culture of the EU is not decimated by imports. To align streaming services with broadcast services. To protect the language of countries and regions in the EU.
    But, surely, as a subscription service it should be for the service to provide what customers paying for the service want? Not some politically correct nsnny-statist interference.

  15. #14
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Why must they ALWAYS interfere? If people don't want it because there's only US content (from a US company) then they won't buy it! Stop poking your protectionist noses into everything. If there is a demand for consumers for services that stream local content then a business will open to serve the market. What they're doing is ensuring these smaller businesses won't open because now the big boys are being forced into supplying that service... for which I assume there is little demand. Why is there little demand? Because people have TVs and local broadcasting.

    I tried to access a website for a large US newspaper yesterday (can't remember which one) and there was a block page saying that they could not show their content in the EU due to all the regulations. All this regulatory burden is NOT HELPING CONSUMERS. Since when did anyone mess with their cookie settings for individual sites? It's just another annoying warning message that most people don't understand and everyone just clicks "okay" to but costs websites a fortune in compliance. Utter nonsense.
    That. Exactly and entirely.

    Well put.

  16. #15
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,909
    Thanks
    2,693
    Thanked
    3,240 times in 2,568 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    To ensure that the culture of the EU is not decimated by imports. To align streaming services with broadcast services. To protect the language of countries and regions in the EU.
    What EU culture? There isn't one - just a group of individual countries with their own diverse cultures.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,716
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked
    339 times in 237 posts

    Re: EU content quotas for Netflix and Amazon to become law

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    That could well be. But I question whether the principle set for public broadcastets should apply to subscription services.
    Not sure what principle set for public broadcasters you're referring too, is it the fact that public money is used to fund them à la the license fee?

    If so that leaves out all the non-public broadcasters who depend on advertising revenue, The Cairncross Review is looking at skimming off some of the license fee or some kind of tax on the big tech companies to fund the ‘high-quality journalism’ produced by the likes of The Daily Mail, The Sun, The Guardian, The Mail, etc, etc. This EU thing seems to be taking a different approach in that they want to force the online world to carry 30-40% 'local' content so they get a fair crack of the whip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •