Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LG OLED TV test shows burn-in after just 4,000 hours

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

Re: LG OLED TV test shows burn-in after just 4,000 hours

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    As for burn-in on OLEDs; yes, it can obviously happen, but so can it on LCDs (just google it). Personally, I would *never* choose LCD over OLED, given the choice...
    Instead of just googling. Learn to read what you google. IN FULL.

Else you're just spreading FUD. There is no real equivalent of burn-in for LCD. Usually a reset or power on/off would fix the slightly slower changing /stuck pixels. Even then this was noted only in early generation (read obsolete) LCD panels. No modern LCD panel I know have burn in issues.

Know how LCDs work. In lay man's terms, the crystals in the LCD panel shift, allowing varying amounts of each spectrum of the white LED backlighting to go through the RGB sub-pixels. Burn-in would hardly apply as nothing really wears out or degrades.

OLED burn in, on the other hand, is permanent as a result of the degradation of the sub-pixels. No power on/off can save it. The organic pigments are like consumable items where they only have a certain number of hours of burn time. Its not just the static portions of the screen image that can suffer.

If you use your OLED smartphone a lot at night or in low light conditions and you have the blue light filters activated (eg. f.lux, CF Lumens apps) to cut out the blue tint and give the screen a warmer & more yellow sunset look to help maintain your sleep patterns, there could be an imbalance in the life span of the OLED sub-pixles. The red sub-pixels could wear out prematurely and the red of your screen becomes weaker over time resulting in your screen having a blue or green tint or colour cast over time when displaying predominantly white images.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmaheid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chj View Post
    what is this tech?
    crt.
    Don't be silly. Visit any 3rd world country with ATMs still using CRT screens & you'll know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    In normal use however, it's very, very, very, very unlikely to happen. Most people don't sit and watch 24/7 news channels like CNN/Sky news for 5 hours straight every day at max brightness, and unless you are doing that you simply won't have a problem.

Channel idents/logos used to be a major issue but that itself is very rare these days with most being faded enough to be a non issue, or moving around the screen enough to again, prevent an issue.
    It happens to consumer scenarios ALL THE TIME. There is a reason why people have their "favourite channels". It can be working folks with CNN/CNBC/Bloomberg during their waking home hours. Or it can be the kid's MTV. Or the grandparents' TV drama series channel. Like the article showed, just 4 or 5 hrs per day is enough.

Some channel logos are also too broad for pixel shifting to work.

Thanks

There is a misconception that "I've never seen it even though I've read about it" or "it won't apply to real life scenarios compared to lab test scenarios".

I've seen Samsung Galaxy display set phones show noticeable burn-in in Samsung retail stores after 1 or 2 months of the phone launch. I remember it happened with the free circular clock accessory cover where closing the faux leather cover causes the circular clock face to show up in the circular cut out. I peered closely around the clock edge and lifted the cover just slightly to peer at the edges. It was quite shocking to see the cicular clock display burned in. I think Samsung wised up to it and no longer attaches the accessory cover in-store.

Image persistence in LCDs is not equivalent to OLED burn in. With the former, powering off/on fixes it. OLED burn in is permanent - it is also a cumulative effect over time. If the working adults watch Bloomberg all the time, then the grandparents watch long running TV drama serials and the kids watch MTV, you could end up having all three Bloomberg/TV drama channel/MTV logos burnt into each distinct area or even overlapping spot eventually.

Thanks

My parents have an LCD which suffers badly from image retention/persistence, it happens quick and the effects are very long lasting. Just turning it on and off does nothing cycling through colours for hours and hours doesn't really help. Even leaving it off for a couple of days doesn't fix it that well. You can always tell if someone has been watching snooker.

It is an old TV and I also haven't noticed it on more modern ones (say less than 5 years old)

Registered+
    Thanks

Not sure 166 days of continually watching is actually that bad, I only manage 4 hours a day at most!

Thanks

Talking of LCD image retention/persistence. I have just remembered that there is a more modern (compared to the TV) example of it which is staring me in the face everyday at work and that is a 27inch iMac Late 2012. You can see the issue quite a lot especially after using excel. It seems to be a common problem as they all seem to have the issue here and we have quite a lot of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by retsil View Post
    Not sure 166 days of continually watching is actually that bad, I only manage 4 hours a day at most!
    Viewing doesn't have to be continuous - it's cumulative wear on each of the LED pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro View Post
    Talking of LCD image retention/persistence. I have just remembered that there is a more modern (compared to the TV) example of it which is staring me in the face everyday at work and that is a 27inch iMac Late 2012. You can see the issue quite a lot especially after using excel. It seems to be a common problem as they all seem to have the issue here and we have quite a lot of them.
    Interesting, I've not encountered anything as significant as you describe on an LCD screen, and it's always been fixable fairly quickly. That's across all sorts of monitors/TVs, including TN, IPS and others. Some of which are displaying static images 24/7 for signage. What sort of panel are they?

Thanks

The TV is a Toshiba 32inch 720p one from way back when, around the time they were becoming main stream. I think it coast about £1500 at the time. It is hard to remember when it first started doing it and how quickly it progressed to its current state but it has been doing it badly for a long time already. I am sure it was doing it before 2010 though and likely a long time before that too. I don't know the model unfortunately. I did have the back off as I thought maybe some component were going but visually it looks good no dodgy capacitors etc...

Thanks

Is it one particular image permanently burned in, or is it more of an after-image thing where stuff doesn't fade properly? I've seen the latter happen for a few seconds when LCDs get very cold, or IIRC when drive voltages are incorrect.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information