Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Apple announces the iPhone XS, XS Max, and colourful XR phones

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Apple announces the iPhone XS, XS Max, and colourful XR phones

Amazing - two pages of rant over phones!

There are phones that are are available at all price ranges, with different capabilities. True, the choice is limited if you don’t want Android based phones, but at the end of the day it is consumer choice.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

2. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (14-09-2018),Platinum (14-09-2018)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I had never heard of Vivo and never seen an Oppo phone until I went on holiday and saw them in shops. I was actually impressed on the look and feel of the phones compared to what we get here in those price ranges.Even the Huawei phones are better specced in other markets too and you get things like dual SIM trays with an mSD card slot unlike many phones here which here which have hybrid trays. I mean there were even Huawei phones with 6" 2160x1080 18:9 displays,dual front and rear cameras,4GB of RAM,64GB storage,mSD card slots,dual SIM trays,4000mAH,etc for well under £200. I then actually used a Xiaomi and was like crikey...and a few here talked about them too.

It actually made me realise how little choice we have here and why a number here kept on saying they were importing XYZ phone years ago - these incumbant phone companies are literally taking us to the cleaners and have locked themselves into carriers so much it's hard for other companies to break through.

I honestly didn't realise how stale the market has gotten over here especially when it comes to Android phones.

I really wish there was a proper alternative to Android and iOS too. Either is a compromise in some way IMHO.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-09-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Amazing - two pages of rant over phones!

There are phones that are are available at all price ranges, with different capabilities. True, the choice is limited if you don’t want Android based phones, but at the end of the day it is consumer choice.
    This, I also think Expensive is a relative term, we all earn different wages and have different amounts of disposable income, it all comes down to what you can afford, what you want and what you can justify.

Buy whatever makes you happy tbh.
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>

5. Received thanks from:

Iota (14-09-2018)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I am still perplexed why people are trying to redefine well established pricing tiers though just based on high end/elite tier phones though even though it was confirmed by 6 different UK tech and consumer sites,market research and even the CEO of One Plus.

It's one of the weirdest arguments I have seen this year on a tech forum - it's like Ford basing the pricing of its mainstream cars like the Fiesta based on what a GT40 costs,or the price of Tesco value beer bring based on what
    Brewdog End of History costs. .

I would love to see the response if someone suggested that a Focus should cost 50% more due to a new GT40 being released.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-09-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

@CAT-THE-FIFTH

Please cease, you're looking obsessed. Just because some websites back up your ideas, does not mean it is absolutely 100% concrete evidence. Pricing structures are capable of being somewhat of an opinion.
    Let's just leave it, yeah?

8. Received thanks from:

Platinum (14-09-2018)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    This, I also think Expensive is a relative term, we all earn different wages and have different amounts of disposable income, it all comes down to what you can afford, what you want and what you can justify.

Buy whatever makes you happy tbh.
    I think as a society we have an idea. I think my hobby of flying is expensive no matter how much my income level has changed.

If you are honestly suggesting that £400 is mid range, you are nuts when you consider the vast majority of phone sales are under that price point.

Hell I was happily using a £120 temporary phone for a few months after my good phone got nicked.

Now if we ignore prices, and choose features I don't think we can call them anything but mid range in terms of the specs offered sure.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

10. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (14-09-2018)

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

I would love to see the response if someone suggested that a Focus should cost 50% more due to a new GT40 being released.
    The response would be that those that couldn't/wouldn't pay for it would go for a cheaper model or another make.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

13. Received thanks from:

Platinum (14-09-2018)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Phone prices increase so much each year that a once accepted pricing structure no longer applies. The brackets change each year.
    The response would be that those that couldn't/wouldn't pay for it would go for a cheaper model or another make.
    I said IF SOMEONE(not FORD) suggested that GT40 pricing had an impact on Focus or Mondeo pricing.

So according to experts on Hexus supercars now determine the price of a Punto,or Focus or something like that,just like a £1000 Apple or Samsung phone now determines what mainstream prices are. Wow.

The response would be the person making the suggestion has an interesting "argument" and that a GT40 has no say on what Focus or Mondeo man pays.

Its weird internet logic where people have some idea that just because Ford releases a GT40 that the prices of budget and mainstream cars need to go up to compensate,and I know exactly why this is and its happened many other times with other tech stuff too. It ONLY happens with computery stuff on tech forums - I have not seen these arguments for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I think as a society we have an idea. I think my hobby of flying is expensive no matter how much my income level has changed.

If you are honestly suggesting that £400 is mid range, you are nuts when you consider the vast majority of phone sales are under that price point.

Hell I was happily using a £120 temporary phone for a few months after my good phone got nicked.

Now if we ignore prices, and choose features I don't think we can call them anything but mid range in terms of the specs offered sure.
    But you can see how some on this very thread are trying their best to reclassify £400 phones as "low end" so to make their £1000 phone purchase seem more palatable.

I have had two of my mates go and read this thread going LOLWTF at the whole concept.

Look at Bsodmike - he is utterly rich and he buys £10000 to £20000 watches on here,which are works of art. Yet,I have never seen him once suggest those watches impact the pricing of someone buying a bog standard Seiko,Citizen,etc.

Nobody is stopping people buying the luxury priced phones and feeling happiness.,but what gets my Moose,is when they act like a dog in the manger,and try to add 50% to mainstream and budget markets and try to spread that propaganda on the internet,and screwing everyone else over in the process. Its almost like some weird anti-consumerism happening.

Its like saying Wrangler jean prices need to be tied to the price of £5000 jeans,so need to move upto £1000 FFS.

If a midrange phone is in the £200 to £450 range ,that makes a £1000 to £1250 phone 3 to 5 times more expensive,by artificially telling themselves,its more like £600,its only twice that amount,so hence it all seems rather more palatable.

When certain people seem to ignore 6 large tech sites,market research firms,the CEO of One Plus and try to peddle the idea that £400 phones are low end and keep trying trying to beating the horse against what the market is telling them.

Remember what I am saying regarding the physical price ranges is not an opinion since I am quoting price ranges based on what tech sites,market research firms and even a phone company themselves are saying.

If people have an issue with them,they should write to them explaining why they should change pricing levels.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-09-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

I'm not trying to justify any purchase to myself, I have the money I can afford a thing so ill buy it if I want it, I was just giving my opinion on where I thought the brackets were these days, I said I thought £200 - £400 was where I considered low end to be, the £400 part is the top end and by my thinking would also be classed as mid range, perhaps I should have said around £200 - £399 to be low end.
    Its just a rough idea, and can depend on the brand, some brands such as one plus can put out higher-end hardware for a lower price.

Anyway, it seems to be a huge issue for you for some reason, do you need snickers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I said IF SOMEONE(not FORD) suggested that GT40 pricing had an impact on Focus or Mondeo pricing. If you seriously believe that,then just wow.

So according to experts on Hexus supercars now determine the price of a Punto,or Focus or something like that,just like a £1000 Apple or Samsung phone now determines what mainstream prices are. Wow.

The response would be the person making the suggestion has an interesting "argument" and that a GT40 has no say on what Focus or Mondeo man pays.

Its weird internet logic where people have some idea that just because Ford releases a GT40 that the prices of budget and mainstream cars need to go up to compensate,and I know exactly why this is and its happened many other times with other tech stuff too. It ONLY happens with computery stuff on tech forums - I have not seen these arguments for anything else.

But you can see how some on this very thread are trying their best to reclassify £400 phones as "low end" so to make their £1000 phone purchase seem more palatable.

Nobody is stopping them buying the phones and feeling happiness,but what gets my Moose,is when they act like a dog in the manger,and try to add 50% to mainstream and budget markets and try to spread that propaganda on the internet,and screwing everyone else over in the process.

Its like saying Wrangler jean prices need to be tied to the price of £5000 jeans,so need to move upto £1000 FFS.

If a midrange phone is in the £200 to £450 range ,that makes a £1000 to £1250 phone 3 to 5 times more expensive,by artificially telling themselves,its more like £600,its only twice that amount,so hence it all seems rather more palatble.

When certain people seem to ignore 6 large tech sites,market research firms,the CEO of One Plus and try to peddle the idea that £400 phones are low end and keep trying trying to beating the horse against what the market is telling them.

Remember what I am saying regarding the physical price ranges is not an opinion since I am quoting price ranges based on what tech sites,market research firms and even a phone company themselves are saying.

If people have an issue with them,they should write to them explaining why they should change pricing levels.
    Sorry Cat - but you seem to be loosing the plot over this. No one here or any other forum can define a phone category with any real world effect. Pricing is defined by the seller - the consumer power is to respond as they see fit.

"High" and "low" end is a purely subjective opinion - you might define it by price, others might define it by appearance, or performance or features or screen size, or thickness, or the type of accessory connector!

Its a bit like people asking "What is the best <insert_device_of_choice>....?" without defining any criteria, such as speed, value for money or whatever. And value for money is a subjective matter anyway because it depends on what the individual values for his (or her) personal use!

Manufacturers may define high or low end by price - but there is no need to be taken in by that - make your own assessment on the criteria that are important to you.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

17. Received thanks from:

Platinum (14-09-2018),Tabbykatze (14-09-2018)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Manufacturers may define high or low end by price - but there is no need to be taken in by that - make your own assessment on the criteria that are important to you.
    Eh I disagree.

I think high and low are defined, surely they are something like the outer quartile ranges?

You can't call something mid, when it's in the highest quartile. That's not something that's subjective surely?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

19. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (14-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by preter_s View Post
    Funny how my 2013 Android can still do so much more than any iPhone, including what was only just announced yesterday, can do. Micro-SD card, replaceable battery, FM Radio, FM Radio recording, 3.5mm jack (which can work as the trigger my selfie stick, or external LED light trigger, or external condenser audio recording mic),

Funny how my 2014 Android LG G3 has 3GB RAM and higher resolution QHD screen than the "$750 for a sub 1080p display,3GB of RAM and a single camera. Bargain!".

Funny how I can still flash the latest Android ROMs on both phones because I have rooted them. Funny how they still work as good as new once I slap in a new battery.

Funny how your CrApple would be barely working by now with that degraded sealed internal battery. Funny how you actually think that your 2013 crapple can run iOS 12 - without at least being severely crippled feature wise, like all old iPhones which would work like a tortoise if not hang
    LG L3 replacement battery £29.95

https://www.4lg.co.uk/search.pl?query=BL-53YH

Apple iphone7 replacement battery £25

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipho.../battery-power

Just saying...

Never needed to root a phone because it does exactly what I want out of the box - rooting compromises security and some security critical apps won't then run - but your choice of course - whatever floats your boat.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

21. Received thanks from:

Iota (14-09-2018),Platinum (14-09-2018)

Thanks

Eh I disagree.

I think high and low are defined, surely they are something like the outer quartile ranges?

You can't call something mid, when it's in the highest quartile. That's not something that's subjective surely?
    Quartile ranges of what? If it is distribution of price, you are just using one criterion.

And you are assuming a linear or standard or some other form of distribution distribution. I don't think the descriptions of low or high have even a nod towards any statistical distribution. It's marketing fluff.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Sorry Cat - but you seem to be loosing the plot over this. No one here or any other forum can define a phone category with any real world effect. Pricing is defined by the seller - the consumer power is to respond as they see fit.

"High" and "low" end is a purely subjective opinion - you might define it by price, others might define it by appearance, or performance or features or screen size, or thickness, or the type of accessory connector!

Its a bit like people asking "What is the best <insert_device_of_choice>....?" without defining any criteria, such as speed, value for money or whatever. And value for money is a subjective matter anyway because it depends on what the individual values for his (or her) personal use!

No a few of YOU have lost the plot(when all else fails question the person not the argument),when trying to actively defend a £400 phone as being "low end" which is sadly is not backed by any evidence. I am quoting figures from the tech industry so basically you are trying your best to fight those,by trying to fight me - if you feel the tiers are unfair then go and complain to the tech industry.

I would rather trust the media's view than some posters on a forum who seem determined to sell a £400 phone as "low end". That is their subjective viewpoint then.

Plus on top of this you know very well that high end cars don't determine the price of mainstream cars or budget ones,and yet you honestly think people don't see this.

This is evidence:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/b...tphones-to-buy

£200 to £400.

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/best-...-top-five.html

Under £400

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-c...phone-3627209/

£200 to £500

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobi...-mobile-phones

Upto £400

https://www.gadgetmatch.com/best-mid...o-400-dollars/

$200 to $400,ie,upto £375 with UK VAT

https://www.wired.com/story/best-cheap-phones/

Upto $550,ie,£500 with VAT

https://thedroidguy.com/2018/07/5-be...n-2018-1087187

Upto $400,ie,£375

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobil...-android-phone

Upto £450.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...hones-can-buy/

£250 to £500.

Do you want me to find a few more US and UK tech sites??

Lets look at more of the propaganda being spread here:

That is the ASP of phone in 2017 in Western Europe INCLUDING £1000 phones.

The One Plus CEO said the ASP of a non-high end phone was 200 Euro.

They said they considered themselves high end,and their latest phone is nearly £500.

So that is 10 pieces of info hinting high end starts at £450 to £500 onwards.

Some of you really have done ZERO research and then and trying to tell me I have no clue, ignoring any evidence as "subjective" when most of the actual phone reviewing industry seems to be following a similar pricing tier.

I am still waiting for all the information saying that £400 is now low end.

In fact my mates reading this thread actually told me these people who kept on trying to imply £400 phones were low end,must be just taking the mickey for a laugh or something.

This is one of the most ridiculous arguments in the 13 years I have been on here.

Eh I disagree.

No,only in the thread they are not defined - its well defined,by multiple US and UK websites,the CEO of One Plus,and market research firms.

Apparently this is less important than one or two blokes on a forum who now have determined,midrange now starts at 2 to 2.5X the lower end its actually defined at.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-09-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

As per my last post, I would say £400 is more in the mid-range bracket, the numbers I posted were not be an and end all just an idea of where I see the rough boundaries.

You do seem to be getting very worked up about a trivial convo on the internet though, are you ok?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information