Thread: Google announces Project Stream game streaming

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google announces Project Stream game streaming

Chrome browser tech will be first tested using Assassin's Creed Odyssey on 5th Oct.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Re: Google announces Project Stream game streaming

Personally I hate the whole concept of game streaming. If and when it catches on it'll probably mean the death knell to gaming PCs, as long as it's "good enough". Much like video streaming has more or less ruined the market for video discs and audio streaming for audio discs. The UK probably isn't quite there yet, but in Denmark it's getting harder and harder to source physical copies.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    Personally I hate the whole concept of game streaming. If and when it catches on it'll probably mean the death knell to gaming PCs, as long as it's "good enough". Much like video streaming has more or less ruined the market for video discs and audio streaming for audio discs. The UK probably isn't quite there yet, but in Denmark it's getting harder and harder to source physical copies.
    I feel you bro, I hate that everybody will be able to play without expending $1000 in a proper PC. I hate that people will be able to play from wherever they want. I hate that people will get the same experience regardless of their device. (Sarcasm OFF)

4. Received thanks from:

Strawb77 (03-10-2018)

Thanks

I mean i am for less waste. The older generation of gamers seem have this hoarding mentality thats not exactly progressive. But unlike video streaming, game streaming is a user driven application. With the emergence of e-sports and the demand it requires from games to be stable and lag free, it'll push the standard of game streaming to be a no compromise alternative. At least that's what I like to believe.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

So rent the game out and then pay more in the long-term without owning anything. At least a PC does more than gaming plus it also does not take into consideration not all internet connections are great anywhere or even things like latency. Instead as usual people nowadays get overexcited at any tech just because it is new and end up hoarding it whilst spending more.

Let's rent more since that works out so well, right?

So those RPGs that many gamers can play - how much will that cost you then??

Let's say 300 hours at least for something like Skyrim then?? Say at 50p an hour only £150. If you played 600 hours,£300 and so on.

Edit!!

OFC all the interwebs will be inundated by random people saying you must getting the latest tech or be left behind who suddenly are nowhere to be seen outside any launches.

Second Edit!!

$1000 to have a proper PC - considering that a good PC can last years then maybe you need to do the cost per year.

If some of you are so anti-PC then stick to your $1000+ iPhones and Galaxy phones which people piddle money on all the time,and people seem to be endlessly upgrading to all the time.

Third Edit!

Let's also forget mods,etc which streamed games won't allow - so things like Skyrim's Bruma expansion would never happen and it was created for gamers by gamers.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 02-10-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 70 Down

If e-sports ever go this root we are doomed

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fmq203 View Post
    I feel you bro, I hate that everybody will be able to play without expending $1000 in a proper PC. I hate that people will be able to play from wherever they want. I hate that people will get the same experience regardless of their device. (Sarcasm OFF)
    It will be even harder to own a game copy like this, you will have to pay for the service. Im guessing this will be just like origin access, you have access to the game, you can play the game but you dont own it and as soon as you stop paying you cant access the game anymore. And by owning a PC you wont worry about anything but the power being on. You can play your games offline anytime, even though its harder and harder lately with all the new games that require constant online access even though they are single player games. So crack it.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Steam has already made physical media for PCs go away.

Enough of us need a PC anyway with gaming a secondary thing, the incremental cost of a better graphics card is only a few hundred. The likes of Nvidia won't want that GPU market to go away, much though they would like to sell Quadro cards into data centers to power streaming systems I think they will really feel the pinch if we all decide integrated graphics is good enough.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there where streaming is a better experience than trying to game on their Atom based £250 "bargain" laptop that struggles with Minecraft, but fundamentally if the experience isn't as good as a now fairly cheap XBox it won't take off. Google must know that, so they must think they can hit a decent latency value. Guess we'll just have to wait to try it.

Thread Information