Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 32 of 32

Thread: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

  1. #17
    Senior Member cptwhite_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,427
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked
    688 times in 477 posts
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    For years I struggled with 2/3Mb connection. Now 200Mb/s up 20Mb/s down with Virgin and 25Mb/s up and 8Mb/s down with Plusnet mobile (EE network)

  2. #18
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    talktalk for me is poor not even 3g
    Last edited by peterb; 08-10-2018 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Admin edited - lamguage

  3. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    264
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    I'm in rural France & my Orange coverage is very good.

  4. #20
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,527
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked
    126 times in 106 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    3 coverage is poor; I've noticed it in rural areas mostly but even in urban areas (like a pub), where my friends have full coverage on O2 and Vodafone, I sometimes lose coverage or have very poor coverage. However this isn't deal breaking for me because I haven't needed coverage when I've lost it, it's a cheap deal and the Wuntu app genuinely has some nice offers (mainly cheap lunch deals - much more useful than O2 Priority). But certainly I wouldn't go hiking on my own with a 3 mobile!

  5. #21
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,922
    Thanks
    689
    Thanked
    809 times in 671 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilCycle View Post
    I live about 10 minutes outside of Liverpool city centre so my coverage is great, good calls and 4G 24/7!
    I live 10 minutes (without traffic) outside the centre of Reading, but Vodafone is the only option for signal here and you're lucky if that is consistently up to 50%... and mobile internet is still faster than broadband, in spite of this.

  6. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Coverage in many parts of London is atroctious. Had better reception in rural parts of Scotland than back home in SE or Central London. Mobile network coverage is one thing but even when it says full bars on 4g I can't load a page at times in many parts of london (e.g. London Bridge station outside, on platforms). Throttle is my guess. Which should be illegal as we're paying for something we're not getting.

  7. #23
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    Coverage in many parts of London is atroctious. Had better reception in rural parts of Scotland than back home in SE or Central London. Mobile network coverage is one thing but even when it says full bars on 4g I can't load a page at times in many parts of london (e.g. London Bridge station outside, on platforms). Throttle is my guess. Which should be illegal as we're paying for something we're not getting.
    I think you'll find (in your contract) that neither speed nor availability are guaranteed (as network usage at a given time and place cannot be predicted).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  8. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I think you'll find (in your contract) that neither speed nor availability are guaranteed (as network usage at a given time and place cannot be predicted).
    My monthly payments cannot be guaranteed either as my income every month cannot be predicted. Oh no, hold on, they don't care about that. So why should we care about they reluctance to build proper infrastructure that delivers exactly what we are paying for. It's dead easy to predict usage, using my London bridge station example...it's the same folks going to work every day.

    The fact they get away with it isn't right, neither is the fact "it's in the contract"

  9. #25
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    My monthly payments cannot be guaranteed either as my income every month cannot be predicted. Oh no, hold on, they don't care about that. So why should we care about they reluctance to build proper infrastructure that delivers exactly what we are paying for. It's dead easy to predict usage, using my London bridge station example...it's the same folks going to work every day.

    The fact they get away with it isn't right, neither is the fact "it's in the contract"
    It is because you willingly and voluntarily entered into that contract - having read all the terms and conditions. You weren't forced into it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  10. #26
    Hooning about Hoonigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,308
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked
    442 times in 316 posts
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Home WiFi broadband

    Home 4G broadband


    I pay £14 a month for the 4G, with 5000 minutes and unlimited texts and 45GB of data, through Virgin Mobile (EE Carrier).

    I couldn't be happier with them so far.

  11. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    32 times in 30 posts
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 70 Down

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    coverage is poor, lots of random blind spots whilst i am on the bus watching whatever

  12. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    It is because you willingly and voluntarily entered into that contract - having read all the terms and conditions. You weren't forced into it.
    Your argument is on a silly side of provocative.

    Sometimes one need to look outside (the box) legal aspects to understand the problem. In particular when the interest of customers is underrepresented to say the least. Big corporations safeguard all angles of their own interest with their cleverly crafted "t&c" - did anyone need to enter that contract? no. Do you need to use electricity and fresh water? no. Do you need to live at all? no.

    Imo mobile telecom/data industry just like energy and transport is a basic and essential service. Telecoms industry should be heavily regulated to ensure that customers get the best deal. At the moment the industry heavily lobbies the authorities to ensure their profits are maximised at the expense of us, the customers. Coverage is one of the examples of this.

  13. #29
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    Your argument is on a silly side of provocative.

    Sometimes one need to look outside (the box) legal aspects to understand the problem. In particular when the interest of customers is underrepresented to say the least. Big corporations safeguard all angles of their own interest with their cleverly crafted "t&c" - did anyone need to enter that contract? no. Do you need to use electricity and fresh water? no. Do you need to live at all? no.
    But being out of mobile coverage for a short period of time is unlikely to bee life threatenng (similarly power and freshwater unless you on an electricity driven life support system.

    The world will not stop just because you can't make a phone call outside London Bridge station.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    Imo mobile telecom/data industry just like energy and transport is a basic and essential service. Telecoms industry should be heavily regulated to ensure that customers get the best deal. At the moment the industry heavily lobbies the authorities to ensure their profits are maximised at the expense of us, the customers. Coverage is one of the examples of this.
    You are entitled to your opinion - but it is less essential than transport/energy etc. It might be inconvenient when you can't make a call for a few minutes - but hardly a disaster.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  14. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But being out of mobile coverage for a short period of time is unlikely to bee life threatenng (similarly power and freshwater unless you on an electricity driven life support system.

    The world will not stop just because you can't make a phone call outside London Bridge station.



    You are entitled to your opinion - but it is less essential than transport/energy etc. It might be inconvenient when you can't make a call for a few minutes - but hardly a disaster.
    Of course world is not going to stop if I can't load a page in London bridge station...and no, world is not going to stop you if you out of water or electricity for a few minutes.

    BUT have you tried not making a payment for these services on time? yup, you will pay for this mistake dearly. Telecoms / corporations are anything but flexible to us, paying customers. Why should I be. If I don't pay my bill(s) they will cut off my services...following this logic - if they don't deliver the service I don't pay. This is the only sensible and objective solution that you can apply in this case...unless you have vested interest in opposite view.

    The topic of this thread is to express your opinion on the mobile coverage... IMO it's not good at all in London (and I've been living in variuos places and been on various networks). I would much rather prefer consistent 2.5g/3g coverage rather than inconsistent 4g.

  15. #31
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,922
    Thanks
    689
    Thanked
    809 times in 671 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    BUT have you tried not making a payment for these services on time? yup, you will pay for this mistake dearly.
    Of course you will. You are ONE person, going up against a massive corporation. This is generally what happens when one individual tries to take on a whole army by themselves using nothing but a sling and a handful of pebbles.

    To have any impact, you would need all their customers to take the same action as you, at the same time. To fight an army, you need an army yourself.

  16. #32
    Gentoo Ricer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    11,048
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    944 times in 704 posts
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

    Re: QOTW: How good is your mobile network coverage?

    I get very good LTE coverage on 3 Ireland in Galway, streaming high bitrate 1080p is no bother at all in most locations. There's very few dead spots, mostly due to being in or around concrete and metal heavy buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •