Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 30 of 30

Thread: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

  1. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where you are not
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked
    53 times in 42 posts
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 9700K
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HXi 850
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-X500B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Use of "Game Mode" on the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X: Some inquiries we have received concern the use of the Ryzen utility and the number of active cores in the AMD-based systems. Based on AMD's recommendations and our initial testing on the Threadripper processors, we found installing the AMD Ryzen Master utility and enabling the Game Mode increased most results. For consistency purposes, we did that for all AMD systems across Threadripper and Ryzen. We are now doing additional testing with the AMD systems in Creator Mode. We will update the report with the new results.
    So for consistency purposes, they also turned off HT on Intel cpus, because halving the amount of threads available would be "consistent", correct?

    Cooler choice: We chose Noctua for the CPU coolers, due to having almost identical systems in the NH-U14S (Intel) and NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (AMD), which allowed us to maintain a comparable thermal profile. Because we were not performing any overclocking on any configuration, and because AMD has said it was a good cooler, we stuck with the stock AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Wraith Prism cooler.
    So Intel is implying their stock cooler isn't a good cooler by way of omission then? Consistency would mean running a Noctua cooler on all systems, or if thermal limitations can come into play, then they should all be using the stock shipped coolers. That way if it's going to throttle, that'll become apparent.

    Memory speeds: To have complete parity across all systems, and to allow the Intel Core i9 X-series and AMD Ryzen Threadripper to fully utilize memory bandwidth, we used four 16 GB DDR4 DIMMs on all configurations.
    Consistency would be using the same memory that the CPU is validated for. Using the same ICs etc.

  2. #18
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,231
    Thanks
    1,526
    Thanked
    2,945 times in 2,386 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    So Intel is implying their stock cooler isn't a good cooler by way of omission then? Consistency would mean running a Noctua cooler on all systems, or if thermal limitations can come into play, then they should all be using the stock shipped coolers. That way if it's going to throttle, that'll become apparent.
    I think if you mandated shipped coolers the i9 would throttle very very quickly... it doesn't come with a cooler

  3. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,955
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked
    370 times in 256 posts

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    So one of their goals was to test CPU performance so they tested at 1080p because Steam shows that's used by 62.06% of gamers, fair enough i can't argue with that, however shouldn't that same logic also apply to how much RAM was used? Steam shows less than 4% of gamers use more than 16GB and that's ignoring the fact that 64GB (4x8GB) RAM would set a typical gamer back £500-600.

  4. Received thanks from:

    Iota (11-10-2018)

  5. #20
    I'm special azrael-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked
    98 times in 86 posts
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8C-WS
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 3.4 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB ECC DDR3 1333 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256 GB Samsung 830, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    So Intel is implying their stock cooler isn't a good cooler by way of omission then? Consistency would mean running a Noctua cooler on all systems, or if thermal limitations can come into play, then they should all be using the stock shipped coolers. That way if it's going to throttle, that'll become apparent.
    I think if you mandated shipped coolers the i9 would throttle very very quickly... it doesn't come with a cooler
    It's because it doesn't NEED a cooler... Sheeesh

  6. Received thanks from:

    Iota (11-10-2018)

  7. #21
    Senior Member Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    3,692
    Thanks
    584
    Thanked
    548 times in 406 posts
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    64GB (4x8GB) RAM would set a typical gamer back £500-600.
    Erm... maths?

  8. Received thanks from:

    Corky34 (11-10-2018),Iota (11-10-2018)

  9. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where you are not
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked
    53 times in 42 posts
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 9700K
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HXi 850
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-X500B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Erm... maths?
    4 x 8 = 64. Well known fact.

  10. #23
    I'm special azrael-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked
    98 times in 86 posts
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8C-WS
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 3.4 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB ECC DDR3 1333 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256 GB Samsung 830, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Erm... maths?
    4 x 8 = 64. Well known fact.
    Everyone knows that it's 4 x 8 + (HT) 4 x 8. Ergo 64!

  11. Received thanks from:

    Iota (11-10-2018)

  12. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,955
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked
    370 times in 256 posts

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Erm... maths?
    It's Intel maths.

  13. Received thanks from:

    Iota (11-10-2018)

  14. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where you are not
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked
    53 times in 42 posts
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 9700K
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HXi 850
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-X500B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    Everyone knows that it's 4 x 8 + (HT) 4 x 8. Ergo 64!
    You win the thread.

  15. #26
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    5 times in 4 posts

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    So Intel (via PT tech...or should that be unPT?) blackens their already manky reputation for dishonesty, chicanery and borderline illegality. Hopefully this will only drive more customers away from them.

  16. #27
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,471
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    257 times in 185 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmaheid View Post
    So Intel (via PT tech...or should that be unPT?) blackens their already manky reputation for dishonesty, chicanery and borderline illegality. Hopefully this will only drive more customers away from them.
    What was the name of that dodgy company they used (or set up) to investigate all the "security issues" with AMD chips after Spectre / Meltdown? Intel are heading very rapidly into my no go zone. If they're willing to be this dishonest and treat me like this much of a moron, what are they gonna be like if I have a problem and need after sales help?

  17. #28
    I'm special azrael-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked
    98 times in 86 posts
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8C-WS
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 3.4 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB ECC DDR3 1333 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256 GB Samsung 830, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    Everyone knows that it's 4 x 8 + (HT) 4 x 8. Ergo 64!
    You win the thread.
    Just pointing out the obvious...

  18. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmaheid View Post
    So Intel (via PT tech...or should that be unPT?) blackens their already manky reputation for dishonesty, chicanery and borderline illegality. Hopefully this will only drive more customers away from them.
    What was the name of that dodgy company they used (or set up) to investigate all the "security issues" with AMD chips after Spectre / Meltdown? Intel are heading very rapidly into my no go zone. If they're willing to be this dishonest and treat me like this much of a moron, what are they gonna be like if I have a problem and need after sales help?
    it's CTS-Labs.

    I think Intel has done similar dirty tricks in the past, back in the days of the Athlon processors.

  19. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmslow
    Posts
    713
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    124 times in 91 posts
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

    Re: Principled Technologies (PT) responds to i9-9900K test queries

    I updated the story with the latest updated PT benchmarks PDF from Friday evening.


  20. Received thanks from:

    Corky34 (14-10-2018),kalniel (15-10-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •