Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: MSI announces quartet of GeForce RTX 2070 graphics cards

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,491
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,698 times in 589 posts

    MSI announces quartet of GeForce RTX 2070 graphics cards

    Custom MSI Gaming Z, Duke, Armour, and Aero designs become available from 17th Nov.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 750w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

    Re: MSI announces quartet of GeForce RTX 2070 graphics cards

    I'll be interested to see how this performs. I did see a price of around £560 quoted by an employee at OCuk a while back on their forum. Strong money for a card that I some how doubt will have exactly "stellar" performance. Nvidia certainly seem to have our nuts in a vice these days!
    Live long and prosper.

  3. #3
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    616
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    131 times in 93 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: MSI announces quartet of GeForce RTX 2070 graphics cards

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    Nvidia certainly seem to have our nuts in a vice these days!
    I wouldn't say that. I did price / performance comparisons on my Vega 64 to see if I'd made the right call and, whilst performance isn't quite as good as to 1080Ti it's perfectly fine for 1440P and the priceerformance ratio (using aggregated benchmarks) is exactly the same. Comparing again aggregated benches of the 1080Ti and the 2080 (not Ti) gives you practically identical performance with a much higher cost for the new card.

    Therefore, unless you're gaming at 4K, the Vega 64 is a perfectly sensible buy (or it was when I got it, I haven't looked up the latest prices).

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 750w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

    Re: MSI announces quartet of GeForce RTX 2070 graphics cards

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I wouldn't say that. I did price / performance comparisons on my Vega 64 to see if I'd made the right call and, whilst performance isn't quite as good as to 1080Ti it's perfectly fine for 1440P and the priceerformance ratio (using aggregated benchmarks) is exactly the same. Comparing again aggregated benches of the 1080Ti and the 2080 (not Ti) gives you practically identical performance with a much higher cost for the new card.

    Therefore, unless you're gaming at 4K, the Vega 64 is a perfectly sensible buy (or it was when I got it, I haven't looked up the latest prices).
    Exactly why I went and bought an MSI 1080 Ti gaming (rather than one of the new RTX cards) from OCuk a couple of weeks back when they were on offer at £599. That will do me fine for the next couple of years at 1440p (obviously a G-sync monitor helps).

    I tend to also agree that the AMD card you mention is also a viable alternative.

    I was more trying to get at the current price/performance of the latest RTX cards from Nvidia. Putting aside the new toys offered (maybe at some point even implemented effectively in games) I just can't see the point of buying an RTX card myself at the moment. If anyone wants to go Nvidia, I would tend to say "wait for the next gen". Obviously only my personal opinions here and up to every individual how they spend their money of course.
    Live long and prosper.

  5. #5
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    616
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    131 times in 93 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: MSI announces quartet of GeForce RTX 2070 graphics cards

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    Exactly why I went and bought an MSI 1080 Ti gaming (rather than one of the new RTX cards) from OCuk a couple of weeks back when they were on offer at £599. That will do me fine for the next couple of years at 1440p (obviously a G-sync monitor helps).

    I tend to also agree that the AMD card you mention is also a viable alternative.

    I was more trying to get at the current price/performance of the latest RTX cards from Nvidia. Putting aside the new toys offered (maybe at some point even implemented effectively in games) I just can't see the point of buying an RTX card myself at the moment. If anyone wants to go Nvidia, I would tend to say "wait for the next gen". Obviously only my personal opinions here and up to every individual how they spend their money of course.
    Honestly, I expect it'll do you longer than that, especially with G-sync. The lack of any major increase in FPS in games with the latest cards will only increase the lifespan of the last generation and on top of that I don't think we're going to see ray tracing become anywhere near mainstream in the life of the Turing card. Combine that with console graphics cards holding things back as they do and I seriously expect that the console updates will wait until cards that can do ray tracing properly are available to them before any major refresh. Thus I expect we're looking at a lull in GPU requirements and I thoroughly expect my card to last me 4 years as long as it doesn't either deafen me or cook itself in the mean time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •