• Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: Intel Arctic Sound GPU event expected next month

Quote Originally Posted by darcotech View Post
    The most important thing is that it can run Battlefield V in full DXR mode at 4K/90FPS
    Nah, gotta tick off Crysis first.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eHM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by will19565 View Post
    Yeah I’m the same. Nvidia desperately needs some competition and AMD AT THE MOMENT is not providing any.
    Their 590 is a good performer but that power draw is horrendous, nearly 2x power consumption for about 10% performance increase over the 1060 (game/benchmark dependent). According the the Hexus review.

In AMDs defence they're just pushing what remains of Raja's design while working on Navi. I expect next year to be an interesting time for consumers

I wouldn't call Raja's design flawed.
    AMD built Polaris and Vega on 14nmLPP node (originally based off Samsung node) which was designed for low clocks and mobile parts.
    The 12nmLP node from GLOFO is the same as 14nmLPP (designed for low clocks and mobile parts).
    Samsung provided the base node for GLOFO to use.

This is why power efficiency is horrendous. Simply speaking, Polaris is clocked too high and overvolted way beyond what the node was designed for.

If AMD used 16nm TSMC process like Nvidia, the power efficiency would be comparable to Pascal with much higher clocks.

Alas, AMD didn't have access to TSMC until they made a deal to develop Zen 2, Radeon Vega instinct and Navi on 7nm.
    Incidentally, it seems that it was confirmed that the 7nm process from TSMC is a high performance one, designed for high clocks and efficiency.

How this translates to performance in Zen 2 and Navi though remains to be seen.

But I imagine that they didn't want to waste too much time rehashing Polaris and Vega for consumers on 7nm.
    Actually, Navi likely uses a lot of GCN, even though latest reports seem to indicate its a new micro-architecture (though in all probability it could just be beefier GCN with more relevant gaming hardware... who knows).

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Is it just me who reads 'discrete GPU' and thinks only of add-in card?

Apparently Intel don't think the same as they say about connecting their GPU via EMIB so it would be more like a Kaby Lake G, technically they're correct but it's not what i think of when talking about discrete GPUs.
    It seems to have improved recently, but I think Intel still only really care about super slim laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by will19565 View Post
    Yeah I’m the same. Nvidia desperately needs some competition and AMD AT THE MOMENT is not providing any.
    Their 590 is a good performer but that power draw is horrendous, nearly 2x power consumption for about 10% performance increase over the 1060 (game/benchmark dependent). According the the Hexus review.
    Vega 56 has better performance than RX 590 at lower power consumption.

Thanks

Not impressed with raja. Too many AMD failures IMHO. Losing heat, watts, perf constantly is not impressive, drivers not keeping up with NV releases for a few years etc. NV made a mockery of AMD with him at the helm so good luck Intel. I'm sensing a i740, larrabee debacle but I'll wait for benchmarks and drivers to judge I guess. It's been a long time since Intel had a gpu that made it into a desktop product and much of AMD is at Intel now due to stupid management who doesn't know how to retain ENGINEERS vs. management or marketing (both losers, engineers win everything as without R&D you're DEAD).

Marketing and management should always go first vs. decent engineers. You die without R&D. Period. If you have a great product you don't even need marketing today, hardware sells itself as every tom dick and harry has a review site to tell you how good stuff is (or bad). I haven't paid attention to a commercial for a purchase for decades in PC's (or much else for that matter, reviews exists online for EVERYTHING). I read reviews, and commercials are totally wasted on me. AMD could completely fire their marketing dept and it would not affect a single purchase I'd ever make from them...LOL. How many of you buy a gpu or cpu from an ad you see about a product? I'm guessing most on here read 1/2 dozen reviews before making a purchase for PC over $200. I read well over a dozen before anything over $300...LOL. I read nearly a dozen for my fridge and never saw an ad for it...ROFL.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    I read reviews, and commercials are totally wasted on me. AMD could completely fire their marketing dept and it would not affect a single purchase I'd ever make from them...LOL. How many of you buy a gpu or cpu from an ad you see about a product? I'm guessing most on here read 1/2 dozen reviews before making a purchase for PC over $200. I read well over a dozen before anything over $300...LOL. I read nearly a dozen for my fridge and never saw an ad for it...ROFL.
    Whilst as an engineer I enjoyed your post, I feel I should point out that those online reviews only exist because some marketing department seeded review sites with sample hardware and easy to digest notes on what the product is all about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information