Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

Thanks

Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

I already know about the system you're referring to. I'm not saying I agree with it, not in the slightest.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Rejuvination View Post
    ...people saying its better when another country is spying on them is better, how dumb can you be?
    It is. China can't prosecute/persecute UK citizens for wrongthink. China is only really interested in state level information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

3. Received thanks from:

chrism (06-12-2018),watercooled (06-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    China can't prosecute/persecute UK citizens for wrongthink. China is only really interested in state level information.
    That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but you worded it better I think!

Another country may or may not be interested in national infrastructure. Your average person as an individual? I doubt they'd bother wasting resources.
    Last edited by watercooled; 06-12-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy75 View Post
    From what I’ve read on Wired UK, the issues with O2 (and various other operators around the world) stem from Ericsson’s infrastructure.
    Probably down to the NSA/Five Eyes, Swedish security services & Mossad up to their old tricks again.

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/28/...nsa-operation/
    Last edited by jimborae; 07-12-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks
    • wilsonian's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X570 TUF
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen R7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung1TB 970 EVO M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX570 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F

all well and good saying for 4G &5G networks but BT and others use Huawei for MSAN's and DSLAMS in the access network. No mention of this gear being removed.....

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonian View Post
    all well and good saying for 4G &5G networks but BT and others use Huawei for MSAN's and DSLAMS in the access network. No mention of this gear being removed.....
    As far as I understand it these aren't considered part of the core network infrastructure so not really such a great security threat. I'm probably wrong but that was how I understood it.
    Last edited by jimborae; 07-12-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks

This story is specifically about core mobile network equipment only - BT also said the following:
    Huawei remains an important equipment provider outside the core network, and a valued innovation partner
    DSLAMs/MSANs on the fixed line infrastructure also lie outside of the core network and there's little reason to panic replace equipment just for the sake of it. Edge network equipment like this has little ability to reroute or modify traffic in the same way as higher level equipment closer to the core, and going around replacing edge equipment would be both silly and financially catastrophic.

Likewise, as that quote says, BT/EE will still be partnering and using equipment from Huawei for much of their mobile infrastructure, e.g. I imagine much of the RAN equipment, optics, etc. There's a clear distinction between what could be sensible or informed precautions (possibly neither, just making an assumption that they're doing it for a reason rather than jumping on the witch-hunt bandwagon), and plain hyperbole like how many places seem to be interpreting this information.

Edit: Beaten to it!

Edit2: Much of the BTW core equipment is or was Cisco or Alacatel-Lucent (as well as a few others) anyway so unless BT have started buying Huawei core equipment more recently, this likely doesn't have any impact on the BT Wholesale network, just the ex-EE network.
    Last edited by watercooled; 07-12-2018 at 12:17 AM.

9. Received thanks from:

jimborae (07-12-2018)

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    This story is specifically about core mobile network equipment only - BT also said the following:

DSLAMs/MSANs on the fixed line infrastructure also lie outside of the core network and there's little reason to panic replace equipment just for the sake of it. Edge network equipment like this has little ability to reroute or modify traffic in the same way as higher level equipment closer to the core, and going around replacing edge equipment would be both silly and financially catastrophic.

Edit: Beaten to it!

Edit2: Much of the BTW core equipment is or was Cisco or Alacatel-Lucent (as well as a few others) anyway so unless BT have started buying Huawei core equipment more recently, this likely doesn't have any impact on the BT Wholesale network, just the ex-EE network.
    No you explained much better than I could with my limited knowledge................ Thanks

Thanks

I mean as far as VDSL DSLAMs go, BT have two main vendors, Huawei and ECI. I don't know that ECI are necessarily any better from a security standpoint. And in terms of everyday performance and serviceability, the Huawei kit has served Openreach better with regard to adding features, capabilities, etc. ECI cabinets miss out on many of the more recent features like vectoring, SRA, G.INP as far as I know.

Thanks

Some people here can't see the forest for the trees. They are upset for the China/Russia spying while it is estimated that there are 500,000 CCTV cameras dotted around London. HA HA HA!!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John_Amstrad View Post
    Some people here can't see the forest for the trees. They are upset for the China/Russia spying while it is estimated that there are 500,000 CCTV cameras dotted around London. HA HA HA!!
    Used for the detection and prevention of crime - but I guess you think that safety of of the population of London is not worth it.

But if your were hit by a hit and run motorist, I suspect you would be quite pleased if the incident was fought on CCTV leading to a conviction and compensation.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Years of brain washing does its job...There are over 1m Daily Mail readers who feed on that fear propaganda.... And yes, sometimes cctv turns out to be good but at what cost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    Years of brain washing does its job...There are over 1m Daily Mail readers who feed on that fear propaganda.... And yes, sometimes cctv turns out to be good but at what cost.
    It does, too many people brainwashed into unwarranted suspicion about things ranging from smart meters to mobile phones. The threat isn’t from the state, it’s from organised crime. The brainwashing/conspiracy theory power of (anti) social media.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Used for the detection and prevention of crime - but I guess you think that safety of of the population of London is not worth it.

But if your were hit by a hit and run motorist, I suspect you would be quite pleased if the incident was fought on CCTV leading to a conviction and compensation.
    The "safety" card is always played when no other valid arguments are available.

If the government is so concerned about your "health & safety" why don't they do something about the horrendous level of pollution in London. It kills thousands of British people every year, and contributes to various health issues thruoghout your life. Or, why don't they do something about the atrocious level of poverty and homelessness in London, where hundreds of people die on streets or fall into mental health problems "at best". Just few months ago homeless lady died on my eyes in central london - not a "big issue" because it's not Chinese spy affair worthy of a Daily Mail headline, right.

Tell you why it's not a biggie for the government, because your real health & safety is not in the interest of the people who lobby westimnster (corporations and privileged wealthy). If they could get away with it they would privatise NHS and profit of people's misery. Yet, knowing your behavioural patters and having all info about your life at their disposal means they can effectively control public opinion and get their way(as it was the case with Brexit "referendum mockery"). Info. is power and power is $$$ and £££.

The "safety" card has been used again and again....the losers here are 99% of population and the winners are the wealthy in power...whether it's oil (watch Fahrenheit 9/11 if you haven't) or your data (heard of Facebook) it doesn't matter. It's easier to manipulate people when they are in the "state of fear".

Thanks

...and just to add that I'm not saying your (and my) safety isn't important but terrorism and spying has been given way too much attention. It should be way down the pecking order behind the issues that are really important and affect the most of us...poverty, declining living standards, mental health issues, climate change, crumbling public transport, vanishing pension, declining workers rights etc.

Terrorism killed less than 50 people in the UK the last few years. For comparison pollution kills 50,000 people in the UK every year and impacts health of milions contributing to cancer etc. Car accidents (which declined significantly) are below 2,000 casualties. Get a bit of perspective mate.

Thanks

We don’t know how many acts of terrorism or other crime was prevented by law enforcement agencies and the consequent cost saving.

I agree with you to some extent about pollution and social issues - congestion charges and the promotion of EVs is being used to address those issues, and the spending on social care is increasing. But crime prevention is important for all levels of society and the homeless are particularly vulnerable.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information