Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 38

Thread: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,725
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,729 times in 598 posts

    BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Action is due to worries about Chinese espionage via critical networking equipment.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,806
    Thanks
    639
    Thanked
    868 times in 733 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Part of me wouldn't be surprised if the chinese government was using some "functionality" in their equipment to spy but I also wouldn't be surprised if the US and UK wanted it removed because it prevented them from spying!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Lenovo Flex 2 / 12GB RAM / 240GB Corsair Force 3 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: HTC One U11 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM12.1 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    3 times in 2 posts

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    I'm not surprised MI6 wants rid of the Huawei equipment. It probably prevents MI6/CIA from installing back-door hacks into its equipment.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    24 times in 19 posts
    • EvilCycle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 7700K (OC to 4.8GHz on Corsair H100i V2)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 120GB SSD + 3 x 500GB 72000rpm HDD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME
      • PSU:
      • DEEPCOOL DQ 750st
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 380Mb (Fibre Optic)

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    It is a sad state of affairs when I actually would rather have a foreign agency snoop on my data than my own govt.

  5. #5
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,871
    Thanks
    1,172
    Thanked
    2,182 times in 1,805 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    And curiously there's a widespread data service outage on mobile networks today....

  6. #6
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,749
    Thanks
    2,625
    Thanked
    3,189 times in 2,532 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilCycle View Post
    It is a sad state of affairs when I actually would rather have a foreign agency snoop on my data than my own govt.
    It is - when you reject a regulated system used for the protection of this country and its law abiding citizens for one that is unregulated and dedicated to industrial and military espionage against this country, affecting the economy and indirectly your security, safety and wealth.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    21 times in 15 posts
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 PC Pro
      • CPU:
      • Coffee Lake i7 8700
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot DDR4 3733MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 600SXS
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster K280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BENQ GW2765 27" IPS
      • Internet:
      • FTTC 50/10

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    And curiously there's a widespread data service outage on mobile networks today....
    From what I’ve read on Wired UK, the issues with O2 (and various other operators around the world) stem from Ericsson’s infrastructure.

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilCycle View Post
    It is a sad state of affairs when I actually would rather have a foreign agency snoop on my data than my own govt.
    I feel exactly the same. What Snowden revealed was eye-opening. It was our own government! Yet nobody seems to care. Since then things only got worse as commercial companies (Facebook etc.) sell our sensitive private data to whoever can pay for --- all for $$$ for the rich.
    Not to mention western telecoms enjoy the status quo / monopoly whilst having waaay too much influence in the government's legislation through lobbying (bribes). My Huawei mate 10 pro is probably the best £300 I've spend in a long while. Just a short burst & middle finger to big western conglomerates and good stuff for customers...not for long though. American telecoms already banned Huawei phones using the "classic" fear strategy (just like when corporate pigs went for oil after 9/11 excuse)

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    it took them 4 years to remove spying equipment? and to all these ...people saying its better when another country is spying on them is better, how dumb can you be? is like saying youd prefer taking a beating from someone else than your mother...

  10. Received thanks from:

    peterb (06-12-2018)

  11. #10
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,749
    Thanks
    2,625
    Thanked
    3,189 times in 2,532 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    I feel exactly the same. What Snowden revealed was eye-opening. It was our own government! Yet nobody seems to care. Since then things only got worse as commercial companies (Facebook etc.) sell our sensitive private data to whoever can pay for --- all for $$$ for the rich.
    Not to mention western telecoms enjoy the status quo / monopoly whilst having waaay too much influence in the government's legislation through lobbying (bribes). My Huawei mate 10 pro is probably the best £300 I've spend in a long while. Just a short burst & middle finger to big western conglomerates and good stuff for customers...not for long though. American telecoms already banned Huawei phones using the "classic" fear strategy (just like when corporate pigs went for oil after 9/11 excuse)
    And I’m sure the Chinese intelligence services are very grateful to you. Pity Snowden didn’t reveal Chinese/Russian activity rather than betraying is own country and putting the lives of his fellow countrymen at risk.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  12. Received thanks from:

    Mr_Jon (06-12-2018)

  13. #11
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,840
    Thanks
    1,147
    Thanked
    697 times in 530 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    anyone been keeping tabs on what it's like for people in China?

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7375221.html
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/chin...ivacy-invasion

    Social benefits linked to citizenship score by 2020, using data garnered from state surveillance of social media etc. A poor rating = removal of travel permits, the type of job you can apply for etc etc. They even look at what you buy!

    To have this system and openly implement it requires a serious data gathering and mining capability. Don't be naive. They ARE doing this. And what makes you think that won't apply to people outside the country?

    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...llance/552203/

  14. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Let me see.....America, Canada, Australia etc, are Democracies whereas China is communist ? The Chinese harvests body parts from minorities who don't tow the Communist line. China steals intellectual property, conducts industrial espionage, tries to buy all the precious minerals only to have a monopoly on their value, takes advantage of pacific nations by giving them loans they can't repay, illegally stealing Spratley islands off Philippines and declaring international trade route as Chinese territory. Takes full advantage of free trade agreement by breaking all the laws, Charges 40% tariff on all U.S cars etc. All I can say is, better late then never. Mind you the mainstream media will be backing China that's for sure.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    5 times in 4 posts

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    I feel exactly the same. What Snowden revealed was eye-opening. It was our own government! Yet nobody seems to care. Since then things only got worse as commercial companies (Facebook etc.) sell our sensitive private data to whoever can pay for --- all for $$$ for the rich.
    Not to mention western telecoms enjoy the status quo / monopoly whilst having waaay too much influence in the government's legislation through lobbying (bribes). My Huawei mate 10 pro is probably the best £300 I've spend in a long while. Just a short burst & middle finger to big western conglomerates and good stuff for customers...not for long though. American telecoms already banned Huawei phones using the "classic" fear strategy (just like when corporate pigs went for oil after 9/11 excuse)
    And I’m sure the Chinese intelligence services are very grateful to to. Pity Snowden didn’t reveal Chinese/Russian activity rather than etrayinh is own country and putting the lives of his fellow countrymen at risk.
    Interesting that Snowden gets called the traitor (I'm presuming "etrayinh" was meant to say "betraying") with no acknowledgement of the US betraying their own citizens. We all know Russia and China aren't exactly trustworthy, but it seems like they have somewhat successfully managed to deflect a fair amount of wrongdoing despite openly wanting to completely break encryption despite all of the compromises they get. I Have to agree that I have little faith in the UK or US. When you can't trust your own country, who can you trust?

  16. Received thanks from:

    chrism (06-12-2018)

  17. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    903
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked
    114 times in 75 posts

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    *walks in and sees ridiculous tin foil hat claims*

    Nope.exe

    *double times it back out*

  18. #15
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,663
    Thanks
    1,487
    Thanked
    909 times in 783 posts

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    the type of job you can apply for etc etc.
    Employers already check social media in western countries.

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    They even look at what you buy!
    You mean like advertising companies do in western countries?

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    And what makes you think that won't apply to people outside the country?
    Why would another country's government be particularly bothered about individuals in another country? And why would those individuals be bothered whether that foreign government is bothered? It's not much different from the numerous companies who already farm that sort of information in western countries. While I agree about it being incredibly sinister, how much effect would it really have on non-citizens? Said companies likely have more ability to act on such information than a foreign government.

    Quote Originally Posted by albert89 View Post
    China steals intellectual property, conducts industrial espionage, tries to buy all the precious minerals only to have a monopoly on their value, takes advantage of pacific nations by giving them loans they can't repay, illegally stealing Spratley islands off Philippines and declaring international trade route as Chinese territory. Takes full advantage of free trade agreement by breaking all the laws, Charges 40% tariff on all U.S cars etc. All I can say is, better late then never. Mind you the mainstream media will be backing China that's for sure.
    They're hardly traits unique to China now, are they? Lets see how many non-Chinese countries exploit other countries for wealth or resources, charge tariffs where it suits them, conduct industrial espionage, etc.

    Wasn't there a story about how the NSA played a part in US espionage on Airbus, on behalf of Boeing?

    Again I'm not saying these things aren't legally or morally questionable, but I find the whole 'China is evil and the source of all our problems' witch hunt a bit tiresome, if not hypocritical...

  19. #16
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,840
    Thanks
    1,147
    Thanked
    697 times in 530 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: BT confirms removal of Huawei 4G equipment

    Did you read the links I posted? They put it far better than I can be fit in a forum length summary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •