Thread: Dual-screen Microsoft Surface Centaurus details emerge

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Dual-screen Microsoft Surface Centaurus details emerge

This adaptable new Surface form factor may be the first to feature the Windows Core OS.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: Dual-screen Microsoft Surface Centaurus details emerge

Windows Core OS = Windows RT mk2?
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Windows 10 called Windows Core OS. Designed from the ground-up for dual-screen devices, this OS will only run apps from the Microsoft Store. "Microsoft has been focused on getting as many Win32 programs into the Microsoft Store as possible during the last couple of years,"
    As long as we can still install stuff from external sources by ticking a box then I have no issues with the store being on windows 10.

If I can't do this and the store is the ONLY option to get programs then the device, even though it's something I like the sound of, would be an instant no buy.

I draw a line when I'm basically being forced into rebuying stuff even though though my existing programs still work fine. I don't see a reason to get the latest version of office for example when office 2010 still does the job just fine.

It also prevents me from installing all my little QOL apps let alone any 'professional programs' (adobe CS, autodesk for example) which are not in the store.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Windows 10 called Windows Core OS. Designed from the ground-up for dual-screen devices, this OS will only run apps from the Microsoft Store. "Microsoft has been focused on getting as many Win32 programs into the Microsoft Store as possible during the last couple of years,"
    As long as we can still install stuff from external sources by ticking a box then I have no issues with the store being on windows 10.

If I can't do this and the store is the ONLY option to get programs then the device, even though it's something I like the sound of, would be an instant no buy.

I draw a line when I'm basically being forced into rebuying stuff even though though my existing programs still work fine. I don't see a reason to get the latest version of office for example when office 2010 still does the job just fine.

It also prevents me from installing all my little QOL apps let alone any 'professional programs' (adobe CS, autodesk for example) which are not in the store.
    As soon as they prevent loading of apps I am sure someone will have solution to work around the restriction. Although I am tempted to move lock stock over to a linux distro, not even Apple are stupid enough to lock out the loading of traditionally distributed applications.

Stop trying to make Windows Store happen, build something worth while and people will use it.

Thanks

Microsoft seem to be making strides towards being a more closed system similar to Apple's OS's.
    You would think that after their failures with Windows RT and not supporting and developing Windows Phone (which was decent) they might have thought of actually developing something consumers want.

Thanks

Looks like the Lenovo Yogabook from a couple of years back!

Registered+
    Thanks

I hope they make a good quality hinge, . this device is basicaly a book with a screen. I think it looks nice

Thread Information