Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,912
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,865 times in 638 posts

    AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Meanwhile AMD has announced that it will join the NASDAQ-100 Index.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Korrorra's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Crosshair VI Hero v6903 UEFI
      • CPU:
      • AMD R7 1700 3.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill Trident Z 2x8GB DDR4 (F4-3000C15D-16GTZB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 1070 Amp! Edition
      • PSU:
      • Sea Sonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850w
      • Operating System:
      • Windows x64 / Linux x64 Manjaro

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    .1 more. Way to troll AMD.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    I bet all the low quality system builders like Zoostorm etc are rubbing there hands together. The lack of real cores and the knowlege that this is the old 14nm Zen does concern me about the lack of grunt.

  4. #4
    Goron goron Kumagoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,000
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    138 times in 112 posts

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Quote Originally Posted by JaymondoGB View Post
    I bet all the low quality system builders like Zoostorm etc are rubbing there hands together. The lack of real cores and the knowlege that this is the old 14nm Zen does concern me about the lack of grunt.
    Lack of grunt for what exactly... As always the number one driver for needing performance is games. Again as always you get what you pay for in PC gaming.

    You make out like the original zen is some slow ancient design. This isn't an excavator based CPU. Hopefully these chips drive the price down in the low end eventually and there will be some competition to push Intel.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,674
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    102 times in 85 posts

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    I see plenty of systems out there where the cpu and gfx aren't slow at all. People with a single hard drive that's slow or small amounts of memory. People get hung up on cpu whilst they're browsing facebook etc.
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  6. #6
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,109
    Thanks
    502
    Thanked
    1,042 times in 886 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    I take it this is new silicon not a salvaged 2200G? The cache is very cut down as well as the lack of cores, it seems a very deep cut from the old part.

    Should have been called a Sempron, halving the performance is pretty severe. Might be enough for a Minecraft box, but otherwise it seems poor value compared to the 2200G.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,674
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    102 times in 85 posts

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I take it this is new silicon not a salvaged 2200G? The cache is very cut down as well as the lack of cores, it seems a very deep cut from the old part.

    Should have been called a Sempron, halving the performance is pretty severe. Might be enough for a Minecraft box, but otherwise it seems poor value compared to the 2200G.
    It's meant for a cheap office/general box. Gets you into AM4 cheaply. You could bung in a cheap m.2 boot drive and off you go
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  8. #8
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,109
    Thanks
    502
    Thanked
    1,042 times in 886 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    It's meant for a cheap office/general box. Gets you into AM4 cheaply. You could bung in a cheap m.2 boot drive and off you go
    It's a extra £40 for the 2200G which once you added motherboard, ram, ssd and a copy of Windows seems a trivial amount specially spread over a 3 year corporate purchase agreement.

    It would be interesting to see one of these benchmarked against the old A8-9600 which is about the same cost and goes on the same platform, but I suspect has the same performance.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,674
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    102 times in 85 posts

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    It's a extra £40 for the 2200G which once you added motherboard, ram, ssd and a copy of Windows seems a trivial amount specially spread over a 3 year corporate purchase agreement.

    It would be interesting to see one of these benchmarked against the old A8-9600 which is about the same cost and goes on the same platform, but I suspect has the same performance.
    Not arguing your point mate - but you know as well as I do any savings by a corporate is deemed good once you factor in 200 systems
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  10. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,109
    Thanks
    502
    Thanked
    1,042 times in 886 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Not arguing your point mate - but you know as well as I do any savings by a corporate is deemed good once you factor in 200 systems
    Depends on the company. Some consider slowing down 200 expensive employees with bad computers to be poor logic

    Still, I'm shutting up about this now because reading around I'm seeing too much contradictory stuff written about these Athlons. So it probably has the same L3 cache as the 2400ge only cutting out the L1/L2 that comes with the disabled cores. But it only has 4PCIe lanes for GPU? Helps hit the 35W tdp perhaps. Memory seems slower. But I can't see in there something that makes it look like it should be as slow at the benchmarks come out at. Dunno, bored of looking, I'm going to go play Elite instead

  11. #11
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,334
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked
    338 times in 218 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX-480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Antec Mini P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Origin Fibre Max

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Depends on the company. Some consider slowing down 200 expensive employees with bad computers to be poor logic

    Still, I'm shutting up about this now because reading around I'm seeing too much contradictory stuff written about these Athlons. So it probably has the same L3 cache as the 2400ge only cutting out the L1/L2 that comes with the disabled cores. But it only has 4PCIe lanes for GPU? Helps hit the 35W tdp perhaps. Memory seems slower. But I can't see in there something that makes it look like it should be as slow at the benchmarks come out at. Dunno, bored of looking, I'm going to go play Elite instead
    If those 200 employees are only using office apps or databases where all the grunt work is done in your data centre elsewhere then this is more than adequate.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,674
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    102 times in 85 posts

    Re: AMD releases Athlon 220GE and Athlon 240GE processors

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    If those 200 employees are only using office apps or databases where all the grunt work is done in your data centre elsewhere then this is more than adequate.
    My point exactly... and made better than I could be bothered to lol
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •