Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18

Thread: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,899
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,865 times in 638 posts

    EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    'BCoins' will be used to buy optional cosmetic items for character customisation etc.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Pork & Beans Powerup Phage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,100
    Thanks
    1,523
    Thanked
    578 times in 494 posts
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • 1700x @ 3.9
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair LPX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Seagate SSHD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Agon Gsync

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    As a long-term Battlefield player I'm fine with this for cosmetics only
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    As a long-term Battlefield player I'm fine with this for cosmetics only
    don't be naive...it's like me saying I'll go with your g/friend to Ibiza but don't worry because we won't do anything naughty.

    ...it's only downhill (not fun kind) from there.

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    and just to add I'm a battlefield player too...but EA is certainly getting greedy to the point of loosing perspective of what's good for the players / customers.

  5. #5
    OilSheikh
    Guest

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    EA never learns, do they ?

  6. Received thanks from:

    Iota (25-12-2018)

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    196 times in 140 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonister View Post
    don't be naive...it's like me saying I'll go with your g/friend to Ibiza but don't worry because we won't do anything naughty.

    ...it's only downhill (not fun kind) from there.
    Bad metaphor.

    This is more like getting a coffee at Costa:

    "what do you mean you don't want six shots, cream, sprinkles and chocolate on your mocha frappabullpoo?"

    You just look like a weirdo not taking part.

    Microtransactions are here to stay and no one can change that, especially for a multiplayer only game. This is the lesser of two evils.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Redditch, United Kingdom
    Posts
    334
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    10 times in 7 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    I was wondering why the currency was so hard to obtain, like simple pants would need tens of hours of gameplay to get.

    Microtransactions, of course.

  9. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    10 times in 7 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    ... This is the lesser of two evils.
    Hmm. You seem to be of the opinion that micro-transactions are a forgone conclusion "especially for a multiplayer only game". I would disagree. There are certain business models where micro-transactions are a fundamental / necessary part of the product. That business model, predominantly, is free-to-play.

    In a triple A title, and one that has been released incomplete no less, to posit that it is the lesser of two evils isn't the way to go. Certainly, you should be withholding judgement until you can get a good idea of the price structure and how much grinding would be required to get these cosmetics without having to pay. This is a really important factor to consider if you're judging the whether this business practice is being applied ethically. As it's EA I suspect it will be absolutely exploitative but it remains to be seen. It CAN be done in a way that is more respectful toward paying customers but it's a difficult line to walk.

    To shrug it off and simplify it as a lesser of two evils is, I think, showing a lack of understanding of this issue in modern gaming.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    196 times in 140 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphadeus View Post
    Hmm. You seem to be of the opinion that micro-transactions are a forgone conclusion "especially for a multiplayer only game". I would disagree. There are certain business models where micro-transactions are a fundamental / necessary part of the product. That business model, predominantly, is free-to-play.

    In a triple A title, and one that has been released incomplete no less, to posit that it is the lesser of two evils isn't the way to go. Certainly, you should be withholding judgement until you can get a good idea of the price structure and how much grinding would be required to get these cosmetics without having to pay. This is a really important factor to consider if you're judging the whether this business practice is being applied ethically. As it's EA I suspect it will be absolutely exploitative but it remains to be seen. It CAN be done in a way that is more respectful toward paying customers but it's a difficult line to walk.

    To shrug it off and simplify it as a lesser of two evils is, I think, showing a lack of understanding of this issue in modern gaming.
    I'm a long time player of Warframe that is the biggest grindfest to get anything and you can buy pretty much anything with just 23 digits from your fantastic plastic.

    This is not an issue in modern gaming as long as you understand that there is a difference between cosmetics and game altering monetisation.

    There are many Japanese RPGs that if you don't pay for the game altering items then you might as well not play.

    Cosmetics are just there for the players enjoyment, nothing more. If they make money then that's a win but is not the basic focus of the game. Battlefront 2 is an example of bad monetisation because it altered the way the game worked having them or not.

    I think you misunderstand the different types of monetisation and how it affects games. There is bad monetisation and ignorable monetisation. This is an ignorable monetisation and therefore my assertion it is there lesser of two evils is valid.

    Monetisation itself is not negative. It is negative when abuse against consumers becomes the focus or it can negatively impact yours or other players games.

    Having a sexy dva skin makes me play no better or worse than having the standard skin. I can pay for it or i can earn it, either way, not a big thing. Lesser evil.

    Edit: And to add, most games are shareholder driven from their publishers so they want to maximise ROI of which monetisation can help with this.

    Welcome to financially driven games development, this maxed out credit card will be your guide.
    Last edited by Tabbykatze; 26-12-2018 at 01:12 PM.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,947
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    364 times in 254 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January


  12. #11
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,162
    Thanks
    1,204
    Thanked
    785 times in 594 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Monetisation itself is not negative. It is negative when abuse against consumers becomes the focus or it can negatively impact yours or other players games.

    Having a sexy dva skin makes me play no better or worse than having the standard skin. I can pay for it or i can earn it, either way, not a big thing. Lesser evil.
    I'm fairly sure I've read of gamers stalking base-skins as the likelihood of them being noobs is higher, so much the easier to rack up the kill rate or whatever the driver is. So it does affect people negatively - too much of it and people are incentivised to buy skins just to escape the beasting. Monetisation is just greed. Make a decent product and sell it for a fair price.

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    196 times in 140 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I'm fairly sure I've read of gamers stalking base-skins as the likelihood of them being noobs is higher, so much the easier to rack up the kill rate or whatever the driver is. So it does affect people negatively - too much of it and people are incentivised to buy skins just to escape the beasting. Monetisation is just greed. Make a decent product and sell it for a fair price.
    I think to what you are referring to is a topic called "smurfing". If that is the basis of saying skins are bad then that is an incredibly weak argument.

    Smurfing happens in CSGO and Overwatch by people making new accounts so they have a lower rank and reset statistics so they match with lower skilled players. That has happened throughout the history of gaming where player ranking is involved regardless of microtransactions or cosmetics.

  14. #13
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    As far as cosmetics are concerned, I don't mind. However if this is well received then surely it paves the way to potential 'pay to win' features in the future.

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    EA....Worst gaming Company ever!! bar none....I resolved never to buy anything from them again last year....garbage like this just enforces that decision....greedy F*****s....

  16. #15
    bored of Vienetta now
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,162
    Thanks
    1,204
    Thanked
    785 times in 594 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Quote Originally Posted by delta5361 View Post
    As far as cosmetics are concerned, I don't mind. However if this is well received then surely it paves the way to potential 'pay to win' features in the future.
    Exactly, set precedent then slowly creep. Like invasion of privacy by the state. Start with snooping on suspected terrorists via court order, then move to making isps keep data for 2 years but they can only see it with a warrant (honest gov), then move to no court order, then mandatory data collection on everyone ever because because because. Give a mouse a crumb and it will want the whole cookie.

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,947
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    364 times in 254 posts

    Re: EA plans Battlefield V microtransactions from January

    Like invasion of privacy by the state you say, creep you say, surely not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •